Anyone mind a challenge in the next few months? PLEASE VOTE!

See the results of this poll: Should I post nameberry on NaNo? (Read post first!)

Respondents: 23 (This poll is closed)

• Yes, absolutely! Sounds like fun!: 15 (65%)
  • Sure, I guess: 3 (13%)
  • No: 3 (13%)
  • Are you crazy?!?: 2 (9%)

I have a couple of American friends who have participated in NaNoWriMo for the last two or three years - it’s just the sort of thing I would enjoy and I was always a little jealous because I assumed (due to the ‘National’ in the title) that I wasn’t eligible to participate, being a [name]Brit[/name]. When I saw your post, though, I decided to take a look at the website and while I couldn’t find anything which said for certain, due to the various language options on the website I’m guessing it’s worldwide. I’m hoping to take part this year!

As for posting a link to Nameberry, I for one would love to help people name their characters. It’s almost more of a challenge to fulfil requirements about names fitting personalities et cetera than it is to just come up with a nice name for a baby.

[name]Auburn[/name]

[name]EDIT[/name] : [name]Just[/name] thinking, perhaps we could create one big thread for character names? To keep things nice and organised. What do you think?

Of course this is just one opinion, many others may feel totally differently.

Occassionally writers post on these boards looking for character names and there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that. This is a little different since I have heard of what you’re doing and I know there are tons of participants. However, it’s not as if all of them will start posting here just because you post a link. I think I’d be afraid that so many people would start posting about character names that the posts regarding people actually naming babies would get lost. And since we can’t follow posts or peopler anything like that here without searching for them, I think it could flood the boards and make it really hard to find posts about babies and not just characters.

I do have a solution though… Maybe there could be a whole forum for writers. That way, those interested in helping would be able to, and writers would be able to collaborate, etc. And the baby name forums wouldn’t get flooded. Seems like the best of both worlds to me. You’d have to take that up with [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name], though. In the meantime, if it were up to me, I’d say to use a forum that no one really posts in, like All About Nameberry or something. Give your peeps a direct link to that forum (or whichever) and tell them to only post there. You could put a post in one of the popular forums telling people that if they want to help, to look there. OR you could have one running post where people can write their questions and others can answer, without everyone starting their own thread.

Anyway, that’s just my opinion, I’m sure others will feel differently. And let me reiterate that I don’t have a problem with you or anyone else who has already come here looking for help with characters names. My only issue is that I can see the forums getting clogged if a lot of those people started posting here, and that’s not fair to the parents naming babies who this site was intended for (Sometimes I even feel guilty posting questions, because I’m not expecting yet! And I’ve been on this site since the dawn of time!)

Thank you, lyndsayjenness! I just sent an email to the nameberry staff asking about a new forum for writers. Fingers crossed! And [name]Auburn[/name], NaNo is indeed international. If you participate, my username is peppersweet on the website too, so look me up!

And berries, please vote! It’s hard to know your opinions without votes!

[Wow, I use a lot of exclamation points. That’s enough coffee.]

I’d totally be down to help fellow writers name their characters! But I do agree, there either needs to be a separate forum or maybe one master thread of character names, so the board doesn’t get inundated. Bring on the character naming :slight_smile:

Yay! Another NaNo-er! I’ve participated for the past two years and won each time after a lot of dirty word-padding tricks. I myself am on this site for character names–well, I’m a name nerd too, but that passion of was ignited by a need for character names, and I would love to help my fellow writers name their characters. Naming characters is one of my favorite parts of writing! That, and the writing…

I gladly accept your challenge!

Yay! Any fellow NaNos, send me a message, let’s be buddies :slight_smile: I’m peppersweet!

And how is it that I have 150 views and 17 votes? C’mon berries!

• bump-

Final bump! Last chance to voice an opinion!