Are any of my baby-naming rules ridiculous?

I am due in [name]July[/name] with our second boy, and am having a hard time finding anything I care for. Our last name is [name]Will[/name], and our first son’s name is [name]John[/name] [name]Christopher[/name]. DH is [name]Andy[/name], so that’s out.

Here are my rules:

*No name or nickname ending in S or C/K (makes our last name sound like Swill or [name]Quill[/name]). aka [name]Mike[/name] [name]Will[/name] - My [name]Quill[/name], [name]Alex[/name] [name]Will[/name] - [name]Alec[/name] Swill

*No J names because I want our boys to have different initials, no W names either

*Can’t sound like a last name so that people will get less confused about [name]Will[/name] being our last name. Aka [name]Graham[/name] [name]Will[/name] vs. [name]Will[/name] [name]Graham[/name].

*No internal rhyme aka [name]Dylan[/name] [name]Will[/name] ([name]DYLan[/name] [name]WILL[/name])

*Prefer 2+ syllables because our last name is one syllable, but will probably end up with a one-syllable nickname because that’s what most boy names do ([name]Joseph[/name] - [name]Joey[/name]- [name]Joe[/name], [name]Daniel[/name] - [name]Danny[/name] - [name]Dan[/name] ) Obviously we didn’t care about this too much when we named our son [name]John[/name], but that was a family name, and we knew we would call him [name]Johnny[/name] fairly often.

*Prefer names that are not in the top ten

In general, we prefer names that are classic and traditional.

DH thinks I am being way too picky, which I know I am. But most of these rules are still in place even 4 years after naming our son, so apparently I feel strongly about them. LOL

What do you think? [name]How[/name] crazy am I? And I’ll take any suggestions, but I thought I’d post more on the boy names forum once I knew which rules I should keep and which I should throw out! :slight_smile:

I don’t think you’re crazy at all - I have many similar rules, and I still have a TON of names that fit my criteria. A few classic, traditional ideas for you might be:

[name]Anthony[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]David[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Robert[/name]
[name]Timothy[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Well, that is certainly a lot of criteria but I don’t think it’s unreasonable and even if it is, who cares? Your baby, your rules (as long as husband is on board with them of course). [name]Will[/name] is not the easiest last name to work with so I get the reasoning behind most of your rules.

I think your rules make a lot of sense. It would be nice if everyone would take such care in naming their children. The hardest thing is finding names that will not be shortened to a 1 syllable nn. Here are some suggestions for you…

[name]Theodore[/name] (love both [name]Teddy[/name] and [name]Theo[/name])
[name]Ryan[/name]
[name]Colin[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Trevor[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Eric[/name]
[name]Aaron[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]

I agree with all of your rules- not crazy!

Those rules all make perfect sense to me. Personally I would be willing to bend on the “nothing-starting-with-W” rule, but then I happen to like alliterative names; I know there are a lot of people who really dislike them.

I think those rules are perfectly acceptable!!

Here are a few names I could think of off the top of my head

[name]Lachlan[/name]
[name]Declan[/name]
[name]Oscar[/name]
[name]Ethan[/name]
[name]Ryan[/name]
[name]Xavier[/name]
[name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Koby[/name]
[name]Levi[/name]
[name]Adam[/name]
[name]Bradley[/name]
[name]Noah[/name]
[name]Zachary[/name]
[name]Leyton[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name]
[name]Ryder[/name]
[name]Hunter[/name]
[name]Seth[/name]
[name]Gregory[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]

[name]John[/name] is my top boys name, such a lovely choice on your part(s)!!!
I also like the suggestions of [name]Noah[/name] & [name]Henry[/name]. I think [name]Milo[/name] or [name]Arlo[/name] would be nice with your last name, as well as [name]Luca[/name], perhaps.

I think all these rules make perfect sense and are similar to my rules. :slight_smile: Our last name could be a boy’s first name too (and my maiden name strongly resembled a common female name)! (Although I am sure you’re aware that even with these rules, to a certain extent, people will always have the urge to make “[name]Will[/name]” his first name. This is what happened to me with my maiden name even with a very obvious first name).

I think your rules are good! Some parents don’t think it through like you are doing, but you’re also not overthinking it.

I don’t mind or really notice rhymes like [name]Dylan[/name] [name]Will[/name] because the rhyme is so soft, unlike an in-your-face one like… [name]Rebecca[/name] [name]Decker[/name] or something. But that’s up to you! I am sure there are a ton of names to fit your rules. :slight_smile:

Makes sense to me. [name]How[/name] about
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Daniel[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Elliot[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Robert[/name]
[name]Richard[/name]
[name]Gregory[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Patrick[/name]

I think most of those rules make sense given your last name except that [name]John[/name] [name]Will[/name] sounds fine so I think other 1-syllable names might as well.

Your first rule makes sense- those names do sound like different words. I also wouldn’t have same initial for first and surname and would avoid same initial as other child. I don’t like surnames as names and I think yours would confuse.
[name]How[/name] about zach/ [name]Zachary[/name] (I know rule one but za quill doesn’t mean anything so I think it’s fine)
[name]Xander[/name], [name]Xavier[/name], [name]Adam[/name], [name]Ethan[/name], [name]Sebastian[/name]

The rules make sense to me.
I liked pp suggestions:
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Lachlan[/name]
[name]Patrick[/name]

I think your rules make sense, you’ve obviously put a lot of thought into the process and have articulated exactly what you do and do not like. I think that overwhelms people sometimes, but really it makes sense of the “why” you do and don’t like different names.