Are any of the ballroom dance names usable?

I used to be a competitive ballroom dancer growing up (had to stop because of a knee injury when I was 17, but I still do it recreationally). There are 10 competitive ballroom styles in total, 5 Standard Ballroom and 5 Latin Ballroom: Waltz, [name_m]Tango[/name_m], Viennese Waltz, Foxtrot, Quickstep, Cha-Cha, Samba, Rumba, Paso Doble and [name_u]Jive[/name_u]. Could you imagine any of these working as a name (either fn or mn)? I think I could see [name_m]Tango[/name_m] or [name_u]Jive[/name_u] as an unexpected middle, or maybe even Foxtrot, with [name_u]Fox[/name_u] becoming more popular. Of course, on Dancing With The Stars, for example, we see a bunch of other pair dances that aren’t strictly ballroom, like Salsa, [name_u]Charleston[/name_u] or [name_u]Jazz[/name_u]. Could any of these work as a name? Would love to hear your thoughts!

[name_u]Jazz[/name_u], Samba, [name_m]Tango[/name_m], Viennese, and Rumba seem quite usable as middles or even firsts.

Maybe Waltz (similar to [name_m]Walt[/name_m]), Samba (similar to [name_u]Sam[/name_u]) and Rumba could work as middles.

[name_u]Charleston[/name_u] and [name_u]Jazz[/name_u] work as first names. Waltz, Foxtrot and [name_u]Jive[/name_u] work as middle names. I personally disagree with the posters saying Rumba is usable - I think of the Roomba vacuum right away, even if they aren’t pronounced exactly the same!

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

[name_m]Walter[/name_m] nn Waltz would be super adorable. I also think that Waltz or [name_m]Tango[/name_m] on their own would make good mns. And I’ve heard Cha-cha on a girl before. But probably best for a nn. Maybe [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] nn Cha-cha? Now that I think of it, Samba isn’t too bad of a fn either. Probably for a boy.

By the way, what a fun unique hobby that you had as a kid!

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! I have a lot of family in [name_u]Utah[/name_u] (my mom’s side) and ballroom is definitely a big thing there! I believe at least 4 professional dancers from Dancing With The Stars are originally from [name_u]Utah[/name_u], which just shows how popular it is in those parts!

1 Like

The only one that is really clicking with me is Waltz. It’s such a perfect, spunky version of [name_m]Walter[/name_m]!

1 Like

[name_u]Charleston[/name_u] would certainly work! I’ve seen [name_u]Jazz[/name_u]/[name_m]Jazzy[/name_m] as a nn for [name_f]Jasmine[/name_f]. But, otherwise, I honestly cannot imagine calling “Waltz!” or “[name_m]Tango[/name_m]!” across a playground, dance studio, soccer field, etc. Sorry. :grimacing:

Foxtrot I could maybe see as fun a middle name… [name_u]Jive[/name_u] sort of sounds like [name_m]Clive[/name_m], so perhaps. But Salsa, Viennese, Quickstep, Samba, Rumba… Idk if I can see it. That’s not to say you can’t go for it if you end up loving one of these, but they feel very much like one-of-a-kind celebrity baby names to me, the kind of names you just can’t see irl.

I really do love the idea of paying homage to something you’re passionate about through baby names…this is just a tough one. At least, imho. Obviously, that’s just my take. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t really plan on using any of these (I definitely agree with you - I can’t imagine most of these working as names). I was just curious what other people thought! Dance is my one true passion in life though, so I feel like maybe I’d like to use [name_u]Dancer[/name_u] as a MN somewhere down the line - but right now I’m expecting and the names we settled on have nothing to do with dance. But who knows? Maybe one day :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I can totally see Waltz, [name_m]Tango[/name_m], [name_u]Jive[/name_u] and [name_u]Jazz[/name_u] as middles!

[name_u]Jazz[/name_u] or Chatleston could be firsts too

1 Like

I think [name_u]Charleston[/name_u], [name_u]Jazz[/name_u], and [name_f]Vienna[/name_f] (like Viennese Waltz) work as first names, Waltz and Cha-Cha could be nicknames, Foxtrot, Waltz, [name_m]Tango[/name_m], and Samba could be good middles too.

[name_u]Charleston[/name_u] would definitely work as a first and I think Waltz could too. I also like the idea of [name_f]Vienna[/name_f] for the Viennese Waltz. [name_u]Jazz[/name_u], [name_u]Jive[/name_u] and Foxtrot could work as middles.

Like @tallemaja I don’t think Rumba is usable. Also, when I hear [name_m]Tango[/name_m] all I can think of is the drink.

To be honest, I can’t really imagine any of these working as first names. Except [name_u]Charleston[/name_u] and [name_u]Jazz[/name_u] (though to me it sounds more like a NN for [name_f]Jasmine[/name_f]). I would suggest [name_f]Vienna[/name_f] as a nod to the Viennese Waltz. Another option would be names inspired by famous ballroom dancers e.g. [name_f]Karina[/name_f] (Smirnoff).

I’ve heard of [name_u]Charleston[/name_u] as a first name, I think [name_u]Joey[/name_u] [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]’s daughter is [name_u]Charleston[/name_u] “[name_f]Charli[/name_f]” ? I think it’s sweet, but I’m a bit more reserved in my naming tastes, so I’m not sure if I’d use them/can see them as names in their own right. I do know people tend to be more adventurous in the middle spot though!