are middle names counted?

On the most popular baby name lists do they count middle names just as much as they count first names? [name]How[/name] do they work that out?

That’s a super question! I never even thought of that one!
I would think its just first names… I’m curious to find out now! :slight_smile:

If you’re talking about the SSA lists they’re first names only.

I would love to see a list of the most popular middle names. The first three for girls would be [name]Rose[/name], [name]Grace[/name], and [name]Elizabeth[/name].
I wonder what they’d be for boys?
When I graduated from high school, the program listed everyone’s full name. I remember that there were so many Davids, Andrews, and Laurences.
Then I went to art school, and when I graduated, my class was maybe only 200 people. I don’t remember all their middle names. I remember one boy was named [name]Mark[/name] [name]Philip[/name] Pemberthy. My friend was quite taken with him. I thought his name sounded very snobby in a wonderful way.

I’m fairly sure they only count first names (though I’m in Australia, it may differ!)

I remember reading an article circa 2007, when down here, the most popular mn were: [name]Claire[/name], [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name] for girls, and [name]William[/name], [name]Thomas[/name] and [name]Samuel[/name] for the boys!