Are my favourite names hopeless?

[name]Hi[/name].
Sorry if I ramble…
I keep feeling like my favourite names are boring, getting more and more common and that they could never go together as siblings!

I am always saying popularity doesn’t matter to me… but how can it not? [name]Nora[/name] (the name, not the kid) wont be special anymore if she has 5 other [name]Nora[/name]'s at her school!

I was hoping if I shared my favourite names, you Berries could say which ones should stay, suggest some more and make some pretend sibsets for me? That would be very helpful, and any advice is welcome. Most of all I want to know if in ten years these names with seem boring and common?

Girls:
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Ramona[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Lorelei[/name]

Boys:
[name]Gavin[/name]
[name]Lionel[/name]
[name]Wyatt[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name]
[name]Luke[/name]
[name]Archie[/name]
(boys names are harder for me, while I love ALL my girls names, the only boys name I can say I [name]LOVE[/name] is [name]Gavin[/name] and its sadly probably the most popular)

Thanks for any help at all! :slight_smile:

I don’t think your faves are boring at all. I’m in the U.S. though. I’ll try to give you my popularity predictions, but of course naming trends are a little different here (Brits have better taste, [name]IMO[/name]!).

[name]Nora[/name] - getting more popular each year, but not epidemic by any means. [name]How[/name] about using it as a nn for something else, like [name]Eleanora[/name]? I also love the name [name]Nola[/name], which is less popular (could be a nn for [name]Finola[/name] or [name]Magnolia[/name])

[name]Rose[/name] - not all that popular in the U.S., at least as a first name. I think [name]Rose[/name] is the most classic of all the flower names, and will likely not sound as trendy in 20 years as say, [name]Violet[/name].

[name]Lucy[/name] - I see [name]Lucy[/name] moving up the charts quite a bit. Like [name]Nora[/name], you could use it as a nn for something like [name]Lucille[/name], [name]Luciana[/name], or [name]Lucette[/name].

[name]Ruby[/name] - This is perhaps the trendiest name on your list (at least here). This is the only one I would reconsider if you’re really worried about popularity. I’d go with [name]Rose[/name] over [name]Ruby[/name] (she could be [name]Rosie[/name]).

[name]Ramona[/name] - Not at all trendy! Be aware though that there is an American movie, [name]Ramona[/name] and Beezus, coming out this month. I like [name]Simona[/name] a bit more.

[name]Josephine[/name] - [name]May[/name] get a bit more popular, but I don’t think it will be in the top 20. I love the nn [name]Posy[/name]!

[name]Lorelei[/name] - This is one of those rare classic-yet-unusual names. It has really grown on me lately. I don’t think it will sound trendy, even in ten years.

[name]Gavin[/name] - Very popular, though handsome. You may like [name]Declan[/name], [name]Griffin[/name], or [name]Vaughn[/name] as alternatives.

[name]Lionel[/name] - [name]Love[/name] [name]Lionel[/name]! Not popular here.

[name]Wyatt[/name] - A great name, getting quite popular though. [name]Warner[/name] is a nice alternative (a little different style-wise though)

[name]Tobias[/name] - [name]Love[/name] [name]Tobias[/name], too! Not popular here.

[name]Luke[/name] - Very popular. I prefer [name]Lucas[/name]/[name]Luca[/name]/[name]Lucien[/name]/[name]Lucio[/name]

[name]Archie[/name] - [name]Love[/name] [name]Archie[/name]! I usually prefer the longer versions of names, but [name]Archie[/name] is so much nicer than [name]Archibald[/name]. I like [name]Arthur[/name], nn [name]Artie[/name] too.

Best of luck!

Thank you so much. I had never thought of [name]Rose[/name] being called [name]Rosie[/name] (although now it seems obvious). I think that I might finally pull [name]Ruby[/name] from my list altogether!

[name]Nora[/name]:This is (sweet) but plain on its own, but you could name her [name]Leonora[/name], [name]Eleanora[/name], [name]Annora[/name], [name]Honora[/name], [name]Sonora[/name] and nn her [name]Nora[/name].

[name]Rose[/name] is a classic, but it does not have a personality, like [name]Nora[/name], it is kinda plain on its own, you could name her [name]Rosalind[/name], [name]Rosamund[/name], [name]Rosalie[/name], [name]Rosemary[/name] (or [name]Rosemarie[/name]) and nn her [name]Rose[/name].

[name]Lucy[/name]: Ahh, I [name]Love[/name] [name]Lucy[/name]! :smiley: And I think it is also a little cutesy for a grown woman unless she has something to fall back on. You could name her [name]Lucinda[/name], [name]Lucia[/name] (Loo-Sha or Loo-Chee-Uh), [name]Lucienne[/name] (Loo-See-En), [name]Luciella[/name], [name]Lucetta[/name]/[name]Lucette[/name] (Loo-Chett-Uh),
[name]Lucilla[/name], [name]Lucretia[/name] nn [name]Lucy[/name]

[name]Ruby[/name]: Sassy & Classy! [name]Love[/name]! [name]Ruby[/name] can most definitely stand alone!
if you still want a full name for it [name]Rubina[/name] or [name]Rubette[/name] will do the job!

[name]Ramona[/name]: I like it, I just don’t love it (but I do 2nd [name]Simona[/name] :wink:

[name]Josephine[/name]: I like [name]Josephine[/name], especially with it’s surplus of nn like [name]Jo[/name], [name]Josie[/name], [name]Posy[/name], [name]Sophie[/name], [name]Fifi[/name], [name]Pippi[/name], [name]Fina[/name].

[name]Lorelei[/name]:This isn’t my fave off your list, I don’t know why.

[name]Gavin[/name]: [name]How[/name] do you prn.? [name]Gay[/name]-vinn or Gah-vinn. You might also like [name]Gavriel[/name].

[name]Lionel[/name]: I don’t like this, I like the [name]Leo[/name]- crowd more (which contains) [name]Leon[/name], [name]Leonard[/name], [name]Leonardo[/name], [name]Leopold[/name], [name]Leonon[/name], [name]Leander[/name].

[name]Wyatt[/name]: I am kinda warming up to this, like [name]Beckett[/name], it has double T’s which makes it seem fem. to me.

[name]Tobias[/name]: [name]Tobias[/name] is great, though I despise [name]Toby[/name]. [name]How[/name] about [name]Mattias[/name]?

[name]Luke[/name]: I like it as a nn for [name]Lucas[/name] or [name]Luca[/name]. It is quite dashing that way!

[name]Archie[/name]: Sort of cool, but [name]Archer[/name] is more 21st century though.

some others you may or may not like:

Girls

[name]Cosima[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Bellamy[/name]
[name]Bryony[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Pomona[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Paige[/name]
[name]Luna[/name]
[name]Selena[/name]
[name]Estella[/name]
[name]Aurelie[/name]
[name]Coralie[/name] (nn [name]Cora[/name]:wink:
[name]Helena[/name] (nn [name]Nell[/name])
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Harriet[/name]
[name]Avril[/name]
[name]Gianna[/name]
[name]Livia[/name]

Boys

[name]Wilson[/name]
[name]Louis[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Levi[/name]
[name]James[/name]
[name]Jackson[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]

[name]Isabel[/name]

[name]Hi[/name]!

I get what you are saying - I do - but I don’t think you are looking at this the right way. Maybe there will be more [name]Nora[/name]'s than you’d like, but that doesn’t make the name less special. It only matters if the name is special to YOU, and if you love it, then it probably is. Popularity shouldn’t factor into that, I don’t think. But, I’ll take a look at your names!

[name]Nora[/name] - I do think [name]Nora[/name] is getting more popular, but she won’t be the next [name]Emma[/name]. [name]Nora[/name] is an accessible, seemingly common choice because she is easy. [name]Nora[/name] is simple to say and spell, it has a nice meaning, and it has a fairly nice image. To me, the name is a bit bland, but I think it is the “ora” sound. I like something with a bit more melody (i.e., [name]Lydia[/name]), but it is a matter of personal preference. So, though [name]Nora[/name] is used as a nickname for names like [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name] is on the rise whereas [name]Nora[/name] remains a vintage classic waiting for its second coming.

[name]Rose[/name] - Today’s mega-popular middle name seems to have taken over for 1990s [name]Anne[/name] and 2000s [name]Grace[/name] in the middle name race. However, when applied to a little girl as a first name, it takes on a whole new life! [name]Rose[/name] isn’t a name that I see coming back into vogue in crazy numbers - it isn’t destined to the same popularity that [name]Violet[/name] is - and it has a soft, romantic, wholly feminine image that is just so appealing. I think it is one of the sweetest names that can only get a bit more sultry when formed as [name]Rosalind[/name].

[name]Lucy[/name] - Now, [name]Lucy[/name] might be the most popular choice on your list, I’d say. [name]Lucy[/name] is a longtime favorite of many, because of its light, fun sound, pretty meaning (ironically, “light”), and feminine, playful image. [name]Lucy[/name]'s also a great saint to honor (patron saint of the blind), and many more religious parents often pay homage to her. [name]Lucy[/name], short and sweet, is just a nice name. I might say it is a bit young in sound, but then again [name]Lucille[/name] feels a bit dowdy and washed-out. I think [name]Lucy[/name] sounds freshest when used as a middle name, myself.

[name]Ruby[/name] - I’ve got a special place in my heart for [name]Ruby[/name] because it was my great grandmother’s name. [name]Ruby[/name] is definitely on trend, partly because it is a vintage classic with a fun, light sound (similar to the ‘trendy’ [name]Kirby[/name]'s and [name]Kylie[/name]'s, but with more substance), and partly because it was recently used by a celebrity couple ([name]Tobey[/name] [name]Maguire[/name]'s [name]Ruby[/name] Sweetheart). I don’t see [name]Ruby[/name] hitting the mega-popular numbers that other jewel tones have enjoyed ([name]Crystal[/name], I’m talking to you!), but it does have the vintage quality that many parents are returning to. [name]Ruby[/name] might be the next [name]Charlotte[/name], but she isn’t the next [name]Olivia[/name] in my opinion.

[name]Ramona[/name] - Well, [name]Ramona[/name] and Beezus is coming out, so maybe she’ll see a rise! I think [name]Ramona[/name] is one of those underused names from the vintage collection that really hasn’t hit its stride. I don’t ever see it hitting the big numbers on the naming charts, despite the fact that it was recently chosen by celebrity mom [name]Maggie[/name] Gyllenhaal. It has a sweet, fun sound that isn’t overly feminine, which is a perfect fit for many little girls. In that way, it is very appealing, but I don’t see it climbing up the charts unless there is a temporary increase after the release of this upcoming film (in the US, at least).

[name]Josephine[/name] - [name]Josephine[/name] is like [name]Charlotte[/name]. Each takes a boy’s name and makes it into a girl’s name, though not a very girly one at that. These are the no-nonsense names that really make sense for many girls. They are elegant, sophisticated, and adult, yet young, playful, and sweet. [name]Josephine[/name] opens up a world of nickname potential, from the tomboy [name]Joey[/name] to the girly [name]Josie[/name]. I think it is a great, unusual, choice for a baby, and I don’t see it getting too popular. I wouldn’t say [name]Josephine[/name] quite fits the vintage trend, which is more [name]Violet[/name] and [name]Hazel[/name] (the nature set), [name]Matilda[/name] and [name]Harriet[/name] (the whimsical set).

[name]Lorelei[/name] - This one is a bit different, as it isn’t quite vintage, but it isn’t at all modern. I think this is more of a 1950s-1960s name, certainly “vintage,” but not in the naming sense. It hasn’t hit its 100 year stride, and I don’t think you’ll meet another little (or big) one for miles! It’s an interesting, bold choice that is really a hit or miss, but I definitely couldn’t say it is boring!

Okay, I’ve only got time for your girl names, but they aren’t boring at all. I think [name]Lucy[/name] is your most popular name, but [name]Nora[/name] and [name]Ruby[/name] are most likely to climb the charts, in my opinion - I don’t predict very high spots, though. Names like [name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name] are great choices, and I see them as fitting in with today’s (and future) trends, so they aren’t unfamiliar, but they don’t seem poised to take over. [name]Rose[/name], a name familiar to most, is a refreshing choice as a first name that really isn’t too popular in the US - I can’t speak for [name]Canada[/name] or Europe - and may be overlooked in favor of more “unusual” nature choices like [name]Violet[/name] and [name]Hazel[/name]. Though [name]Rose[/name] will always be on the naming radar, I think [name]Violet[/name] and [name]Hazel[/name] will see more growth over time, leaving [name]Rose[/name] a comparably safe choice. [name]Lorelei[/name], on the other hand, is one I think you’d be safe choosing in any time period, as it never really had a burst and certainly isn’t poised to have one any time soon - as I said, it is a bold move that traps you into a style (or time period), but it could pay off in the end! (In case you are curious, my favorites are [name]Rose[/name], [name]Ruby[/name], [name]Josephine[/name], and [name]Ramona[/name].)

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

If you love a name, go for it. Unless you have a problem with popularity, it doesn’t matter! In ten years these names may come and go and be unusual or “previous generation” again. I love almost every one of the names on your list, so if I were you I’d use them.