Are these girl names TOO wild?

If you pronounce [name]Eliette[/name] like [name]Elly[/name]-et it is pretty. It probably would be a problem with pronunciation but a lot of good names are hard to pronounce at first sight.

I’m sad to say it but this list made my eyes physically hurt.

Quirky spelling can be cute at times (ex. “[name]Eliette[/name]”) but when overdone (ex. [name]Emersyn[/name], Rilyn) it can actually come across as cheap and inane. Now, let’s get down to the names…

[name]Elias[/name] is a boy’s name. I know we are currently in a decade where it’s trendy to use boy names as girl names but “[name]Elias[/name]” is not one of them. As for [name]Harper[/name], it’s cute but it’s so overdone right now.

On to [name]Eliette[/name], I actually really like this name and spelling. I think it’s feminine and chic. Though, personally, I would flip-flop [name]Bryn[/name] and [name]Eliette[/name]. Thereby moving [name]Eliette[/name] so it’s the middle name. “[name]Bryn[/name] [name]Eliette[/name] [name]Gordon[/name]” sounds just absolutely perfect and if you’re worried about “[name]Bryn[/name] [name]Gordon[/name]” not looking fem enough…[name]Bryn[/name] can always be dolled up with an extra few letters (i.e. [name]Brynne[/name]).

I’m usually a fan of alliteration but not when it comes to "G"s. “[name]Gracelyn[/name] [name]Gordon[/name]” just sounds tacky. Though, admittedly, so does anything ending in “lyn”. I’m also not a fan of [name]Peri[/name].

[name]Emerson[/name] is a beautiful name…when it’s not being fudged up with unnecessary spelling errors. As a young woman who’s grown up her entire life correcting people on the “right” way to spell her name, I know firsthand how irritating it can be to have such an unnecessary vowel change all in the name of “style”. [name]Don[/name]'t do it. Your unborn child is begging you. Anyway, if you do decide to go with it, I think [name]Emerson[/name] is better suited as a middle name. “[name]Emerson[/name] [name]Gordon[/name]” is just too ambiguous. This can be remedied by reversing the name: “[name]Kori[/name] [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Gordon[/name]” is definitely feminine and [name]Kori[/name] is spunky and playful sounding…probably what you were going for when you labelled this forum “wild”.

Finally, for the love of all things well-named, do not name your child Rilyn. She will constantly be called “Rill-in” and she will hate you. Also, “lyn” names are so out.

Yes these names are trendy. Maybe you haven’t met any because most are babies? Or maybe they aren’t common at your school? By the time your child is in school I guarantee she’ll meet other girls with her name

[name]El[/name]- and [name]Em[/name]- names are soooo popular. I’m getting sick of all the little [name]Ellie[/name]'s and [name]Emmy[/name]'s because they are everywhere. If you want unique, stay away from [name]El[/name]- and [name]Em[/name]-
[name]Bryn[/name] (this is a boy name, [name]Brynn[/name] is the girl version) and [name]Harper[/name] are unfortunately gaining in popularity but not as much as [name]El[/name]- and [name]Em[/name]-.

I see in your signature you have the names [name]Hazel[/name] and [name]Celia[/name] as a couple of your favorites. I think [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] or [name]Celia[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] would be lovely and unusual.

I agree with most of the feedback so far given. Plus, you need to consider that [name]Gordon[/name] is already quite a masculine surname, so if you’re going to match that with both a masculine first and middle, you’re giving a daughter a wollop of masculine energy before she even arrives. From you signature I also see [name]Sylvia[/name], which is beautiful. [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Celia[/name], [name]Sylvia[/name]. I’m a bit surprised that, as a teacher, you’d even be remotely open to creative spellings…they must make life at least a tad difficult for teachers.

OK. Among your names, I really like [name]Brynn[/name] and [name]Peri[/name] (but prefer [name]Perrine[/name]). I like [name]Grace[/name], but not mashed up with lyn. Like it or not, [name]Emerson[/name] has become a girl’s name, but is extremely trendy and not at all unique/wild. [name]Eliot[/name] is veering the same way, but a lot less so. If I saw the name [name]Eliette[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] I’d know it was a girl but I’d think the parents were really grasping at straws.

If you want your daughter to have a unique name, I’d go with something like [name]Donna[/name], [name]Patricia[/name], [name]Eileen[/name], etc. All those names that almost no one is using right now are the ones that are actually unique.

[name]Elias[/name] – very boyish. I can see it on a girl, albeit very hardly.
[name]Eliette[/name] – too boyish. What about [name]Elaine[/name], [name]Eloise[/name], [name]Elena[/name], [name]Elene[/name], [name]Elisa[/name], [name]Elia[/name], [name]Elsa[/name], [name]Elspeth[/name], [name]Elva[/name], [name]Elethea[/name], Elithia, [name]Elmera[/name], [name]Ellura[/name], [name]Elin[/name], [name]Elaene[/name], Eluna, [name]Elenor[/name], [name]Elanor[/name], [name]Elinor[/name], [name]Elnora[/name], [name]Elora[/name], [name]Elyn[/name], [name]Elysa[/name], [name]Elysia[/name], [name]Eliana[/name] and [name]Elina[/name]. Would you like [name]Esme[/name]?
[name]Gracelyn[/name] [name]Peri[/name] – [name]Gracelyn[/name] sounds made up. [name]Peri[/name] sounds very odd with [name]Gracelyn[/name]. I do understand if the popularity of [name]Grace[/name]/[name]Gracie[/name]/[name]Gracy[/name] frustrates you, but even so…
[name]Emersyn[/name] [name]Kori[/name] – [name]Emersyn[/name] also sounds like a variation of [name]Emerson[/name]. However, I have never heard of [name]Kori[/name]. Here, consider these, [name]Emeline[/name], [name]Emme[/name], [name]Esmeralda[/name], [name]Emiliana[/name], [name]Emmalin[/name], [name]Emeraude[/name], [name]Emerald[/name].
Rilyn – Sounds made-up, and I was never a fan of [name]Riley[/name]. I don’t like it.

So yes, they are quite wild… :slight_smile:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh… these are some bad names …sorry to say. I agree with the person that said they sound down market…reallly just plain cheap.
[name]Elias[/name] is a boys name…so is [name]Elliot[/name]…if you are going to use it spell it CORRECTLY…peri is just strange and not appealing at all
[name]Gracelyn[/name] is just awful it does sound made up …horrible
[name]Rylan[/name] is also a boys name .
…if you are going to use it please don’t spell it Rylin…for god 's sake

I’m sorrry they are just bad…
If you want to call her [name]Ellie[/name]…there are lots of proper GIRL names that you can choose from…although I have to say I am sick of all of them…

1. Elias Harper - I personally don’t like boys name for girls. But I think [name]Elias[/name] sounds very soft and feminine.

2. Eliette Bryn - [name]Elliot[/name] is another name that I think has a very soft sound. And the spelling [name]Eliette[/name] makes it all girl.

3. Gracelyn Peri - [name]Love[/name] [name]Grace[/name]. [name]Don[/name]'t like the rest.

4. Emersyn Kori - Hmm, I don’t like -son names for girls.

5. Rilyn - It does look made up and trendy, but at least not overused.

[name]Eliette[/name] is usable. I like the [name]Ellie[/name]-ett pronunciation for a girl. [name]Emersyn[/name] is less appealing to me than [name]Emerson[/name]. I pronounce it [name]Em[/name] er sin. I like the son ending better. I liked somone’s suggestion of [name]Kori[/name] [name]Emerson[/name] instead of [name]Emersyn[/name] [name]Kori[/name]. or what about Kirra? I think Kirra [name]Gordon[/name] sounds nice. Have you thought about [name]Emery[/name]?
I love the name [name]Grace[/name] but not [name]Gracelyn[/name]. What about [name]Grace[/name]-[name]Ann[/name]? Still I like [name]Grace[/name] the best even though it is popular. [name]Peri[/name] has a cute feel but reminds me of [name]Perry[/name] the Platypus from Phineus and Ferb.I love [name]Hazel[/name] or [name]Celia[/name] [name]Gordon[/name].

What about [name]Ellery[/name]?

[name]Love[/name] jemama’s suggestion of [name]Ellery[/name]! I strongly, strongly advise against using [name]Elias[/name] on a girl. This is 100%, no doubt about it, a BOY’s name. It is not one that I can see being even remotely appealing on a girl. As a girl who grew up with a unisex name that is slightly more commonly used for boys, I can tell you that I hated being confused as male when seeing my name written. Giving your daughter an actual male (not unisex) name to me is just cruel. The rest are completely NMS or appealing to me in anyway, and I must agree they give off the “down market” vibe to me as well. I wouldn’t see these names as being unique at all, but trendy and a bit cheesy. There are tons and tons of feminine, historically significant uncommon names out there that would make your daughter stand out in a good way. None of the names listed fit this description to me at all.

I don’t think being “unique” means that you have to use a boy’s name, or misspell a common name (or, a boy’s name).

You obviously like [name]Grace[/name], so why tack a “lyn” on there? I’d say [name]Grace[/name] as a first name is just as unique (especially since [name]Grace[/name] is a timeless classic, and [name]Gracelyn[/name] is TRENDY…for that matter, anything “____lyn” is trendy. But, [name]Grace[/name] nn [name]Gracie[/name] is wonderful!

I love [name]Elliot[/name] and [name]Elias[/name]…but for boys. There are plenty of nice girls’ names out there. She may be the only GIRL in her class named [name]Elliot[/name] of [name]Elias[/name], but there are sure to be boys there with those names.

I don’t like either [name]Emersyn[/name] (this to be is part of the “name + lyn” or “name + yn” symdrome). Rilyn too.

I’m sorry to be harsh. You have great potential here! You seem to like “[name]El[/name]…” names…what about [name]Ella[/name]? [name]Stella[/name]? [name]Elianna[/name]? [name]Elliot[/name]? (if you must steal from the boys, I like classic spellings).

OR maybe look up names out of the top 500 or 1000. That could be really helpful. Plus, then you’d be assured that your girl would be the one-and-only with her name. Because, trust me, there are tons and tons and tons of little girls running around right now with trendy/boys names re-spelled/something-lyn names out there right now!

And, I still say that [name]Grace[/name] (maybe with a really fantastical, ususual, or even wild or made-up middle name) is the best name, by far on your list. And you really have great potential here. AND, an amazing list of boys’ names if you have a son (because [name]Elias[/name], [name]Elliot[/name] and [name]Emerson[/name] are fantastic boys names!!!).

What everyone else said…I’m afraid to add too much of my own opinion as I don’t want to come off meanly but these names are really…what was the term? Down market? That is exactly the vibe they give off. They aren’t yooneek just becaue they’re misspelled and giving a girl an obvious boy’s name doesn’t make it wild. These names are low class. [name]Grace[/name] is beautiful tho, if you untack the horrible lyn from the end. [name]Elliot[/name], [name]Emerson[/name] (spelled correctly), and [name]Elias[/name] are all great names for boys should you have a son in the future. [name]Emersyn[/name] doesn’t look more feminine it just looks like someone was too stupid to spell it right. There are droves of beautiful, feminine, uncommon girl’s names out there for you to use. Try looking for some of those in the style you seem to like. Names that start with an E seem to crop up on your list. Try using that as a starting point.

Another possiblility:

In Spanish, [name]Elia[/name] (no s) is a girl’s name. It is pronounced [name]ELLE[/name] ee ah.

I like [name]Rylan[/name] for a boy’s name, however I know that many of my friends prefer it on a girl. I never saw the Rilyn spelling. Not a fan of the “i” and “y”. I like [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Kori[/name] and Elliette [name]Bryn[/name].

I couldn’t agree with this more. If my last name were [name]Gordon[/name], or [name]Wilson[/name] or [name]Johnson[/name] I’d probably go for one of your more feminine choices like [name]Eliette[/name] (though I’m not a huge fan of the unique spelling and feel that while it looks girly it still sounds so similar to [name]Elliot[/name] that it sounds masculine), or [name]Grace[/name], [name]Scarlet[/name] or [name]Rosalie[/name] (the last three are in your signature and I think they could be great).

[name]Grace[/name] [name]Eliette[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] or even [name]Grace[/name] [name]Emersyn[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] are really cute options with nn [name]Gracie[/name] or [name]Gigi[/name].
[name]Connelly[/name] (well actually [name]Connolly[/name] because it’s a family name) is also on my list but I’m not sure I like [name]Connelly[/name] [name]Grace[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] - Though [name]Connelly[/name] [name]Scarlet[/name] could be really cute.

[name]Elias[/name] [name]Harper[/name] - I love [name]Elias[/name], it’s very pretty. [name]Harper[/name] is quite pretty, and it’s really not that crazy. (Which is a good thing, right?)
[name]Eliette[/name] [name]Bryn[/name] - I don’t care for [name]Eliette[/name] or [name]Elliot[/name] for a girl. I love the name [name]Bryn[/name] for a girl! It’s my little sister’s name.
[name]Gracelyn[/name] [name]Peri[/name] - [name]Gracelyn[/name] sounds very country to me. [name]Don[/name]'t like [name]Peri[/name] for a girl. Is it pronounced [name]Perry[/name]?
[name]Emersyn[/name] [name]Kori[/name] - Not crazy about [name]Emersyn[/name]. [name]Kori[/name] is nice, reminds me of Skillet.
Rylin - I hate Rylin or [name]Riley[/name] for girls!

These names aren’t really my style, but I find it amusing when people go on about made up names or this name is a boy’s name etc. All names are made up and I’m sure the first person who used any boy’s name for a girl was told the same thing, but a lot of boys’ names are now common for girls. [name]Just[/name] because it’s not someone elses style doesn’t mean they should be judging them. I can’t believe the people that say these names sound “lower class”! Honestly, that’s just downright rude. Anyway my picks would be [name]Eliette[/name] - I’d never heard this before and I actually think it sounds really pretty. [name]Gracelyn[/name] is really cute - I prefer it to [name]Grace[/name], which is totally overused. I have never liked [name]Emerson[/name], no matter how you spell it. Rylin - No, just don’t like it. [name]Kori[/name] - again, no, I actually hate it! But that’s just my personal taste. I would never judge a child or its parents for the name it’s been given. I think that’s a horrible thing to do.

I don’t think one needs to go to great lengths to get a reasonably unique name for a child. With names like [name]Adelaide[/name], [name]Holly[/name], [name]Helen[/name], or [name]Carolina[/name], which are all in the Top 1000, but not the Top 100, a child would probably have a reasonably unique name even with a fairly common last name. Additionally, using names like this avoids the issue of having to spell one’s name for every plumber, teacher or conference registrar.