Are these names too similar?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]! [name_f]My[/name_f] fiancé and I are due to (hopefully!) get married this [name_u]August[/name_u] and want to start TTC soon after. I’m already getting way ahead of myself with baby names but having been a silent member on here for 6 years or so I’m very excited to start making use of all my lists!

I’m looking for some advice on whether the names [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] and [name_f]Margot[/name_f] are too similar. [name_f]My[/name_f] fiancé has a 7 year old daughter from a previous relationship who stays with us regularly. Her mum is married and has another daughter called [name_f]Margot[/name_f] who is obviously my DSD’s younger sister.
[name_f]My[/name_f] problem is that I have loved the name [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] for a few years now and it is a top contender for if we have a daughter but I worry that [name_f]Margot[/name_f] and [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] are too similar to be the names of my DSD’s sisters. For extra info, [name_f]Margot[/name_f] regularly gets called [name_f]Marjie[/name_f]. The children would very rarely all be together, only on special occasions e.g DSD’s bday.

Am I over thinking this or is it a legitimate worry??

Look forward to hearing your thoughts! Xxx

Other than having the same 1st 2 letters, the initial sounds in each name do not sound alike to me. Also, the nicknames would be different enough as well (if you choose to use one). I would go ahead and use [name_f]Mabel[/name_f].

2 Likes

I think they are very different! [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] is super sweet and pretty!

2 Likes

I think it would be fine!

You’re totally fine to use [name_f]Mabel[/name_f]! The two names have different vowel sounds which helps them to be distinct - it might be different if it was [name_f]Margo[/name_f] and [name_f]Martha[/name_f], for example.

I think it’s okay.

I think they’re different enough, just the M sharing really. [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] is super sweet.

1 Like

Overthinking it.

Absolutely fine. They live in different families. If DSD was the one called [name_f]Margot[/name_f] I’d think it was maybe a bit matchy but probably fine, if you were having twins and calling them [name_f]Margot[/name_f] and [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] then that would be starting to get a little cringey-matchy maybe… but as it is, totally fine.

I agree with the others, definitely keep [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] on your list; such a beautiful choice!

1 Like

I wouldnt worry about it. It your stepdaughter was called [name_f]Margot[/name_f], then I would advise against [name_f]Mabel[/name_f]. However, since [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] and [name_f]Margot[/name_f] would just share a mutual half sister, I don’t think it’s an issue.

Using the name [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] is no problem in your situation, in my opinion

I think they are different enough to use. [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] is so sweet!

1 Like

Not too similar at all! [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] has such different sounds from [name_f]Margot[/name_f]. I honestly wouldn’t worry about it another moment. :slight_smile:

Not too similar at all! Especially since they will rarely see each other. I think it’s totally ok!

I don’t think they’re too similar at all. In fact, I think they sound lovely together!

Thanks everyone! I feel much better about using it in the future now :slight_smile: I definitely have a tendency to overthink!

1 Like

I wouldn’t use [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] and [name_f]Margot[/name_f] as sisters but I think they’re totally fine as step/half sisters of someone.