Are we ready for Ziggy?

Hi all! Much to my dismay, we are having another boy. I say that because I hate all boy names, and naming another boy feels impossible right now. My current kiddos are Hazel(f) and Ozzy(m). My partner and I both really love the name Ziggy, but obviously it’s pretty out there as a first name and we’re wondering if the world is ready for a Ziggy yet. It feels like so many people are going with out-of-the-box names these days and maybe it would be fine, but I’m hesitant. Obviously Ozzy is already a little less mainstream, but Ziggy feels more out there. Ideally it would be a nickname for his first name, but I don’t like anything I’ve heard for the formal name. Ideas on that are welcome. I’m also toying with making it his middle and just calling him it, but giving him a more predictable first name on paper. Ideas for what first name would go well with Ziggy as a middle? Any opinions welcome. I’m sure they’ll be split! Thanks for the help!

Oh, our last name is Merrill, so it would be Ziggy Merrill, which I personally love the sound of.

1 Like

Congratulations! [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] and [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] are lovely together!
I think [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m] would work okay as a standalone name – he matches the vibe of [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] and I love how they would all have a Z in their name to tie them together. At the end of the day, if you love the name, and cannot find anything that will compare, then use it! (Also [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m] [name_f]Merrill[/name_f] is fabulous!)
A few thoughts on finding a full name or first name:
[name_m]Ziggy[/name_m] is one of those names that can really be used without having an exact derivation from the original name – for example, the musician [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m] Marley’s real name is [name_m]David[/name_m]. However, if you’d rather an exact definition…
[name_m]Isaac[/name_m]
[name_m]Zachary[/name_m]
[name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m]
You could also have a first name beginning/ending with Z/z sound and a middle with the letter G in it…
[name_m]Zander[/name_m] [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m]
[name_m]Zachary[/name_m] [name_m]Ludwig[/name_m]
[name_m]James[/name_m] [name_f]Indigo[/name_f]
[name_m]Zane[/name_m] [name_m]Gregory[/name_m]
[name_m]Ziggy[/name_m] as a middle name is also an option, but my mother works at a school and it can get a little confusing when a child goes by their middle name – I say name them what you’re going to call them, but that’s completely up to you! A few ideas:
[name_m]Owen[/name_m] [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m]
[name_m]Samuel[/name_m] ZIggy
[name_m]Jasper[/name_m] [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m]
[name_m]Warner[/name_m] [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m]
[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helped! Best of luck!

1 Like

I think [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m] works fine on its own. I do agree that it seems slightly more unexpected than [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m], but it actually ranks higher in [name_f]England[/name_f] and [name_m]Wales[/name_m] than [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] (#336 vs. #421). I will say that [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] and [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m] together would make me wonder if you were going for a 70s musician theme (Ozzy [name_m]Osbourne[/name_m] and [name_m]David[/name_m] [name_m]Bowie[/name_m] / [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m] Stardust), but I don’t think it has to be a dealbreaker.

Full names for [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m]:

[name_m]Zigmund[/name_m] / [name_m]Sigmund[/name_m] (you’ve probably already considered this)
[name_m]Ignatius[/name_m]
[name_m]Briggs[/name_m]
[name_m]Zelig[/name_m] / [name_m]Selig[/name_m]

[name_m]Or[/name_m] combining first and middle names for something like…

[name_m]Zachary[/name_m] [name_f]Indigo[/name_f]
[name_m]Zane[/name_m] [name_m]Diggory[/name_m]
[name_m]Zephyr[/name_m] [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m]
[name_m]Zeke[/name_m] [name_m]Inigo[/name_m]

1 Like

Thanks for the input! Side note…I was hoping for another girl and her name would have been [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] :heart:

1 Like

[name_m]Ziggy[/name_m] is so cool! Sparky, keeps the ‘Z’ letter going, is easy to say and fits in with names like [name_m]Bowie[/name_m], [name_m]Reggie[/name_m], [name_f]Izzy[/name_f], [name_m]Brodie[/name_m], [name_m]Albie[/name_m], [name_m]Briggs[/name_m] etc.

For what it’s worth, 200 boys were named [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m] in the US in the last two years, so it’s not not being used :person_shrugging:

I’d keep [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m] as the first and do a grounded middle personally :slight_smile: But I guess you could do something like [name_m]Zachary[/name_m] [name_m]Griffin[/name_m] ‘Ziggy’ or [name_m]Zayn[/name_m] [name_m]Kingsley[/name_m] ‘Ziggy’

First names with Ziggy…

[name_m]Ezra[/name_m] [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m]
[name_m]Luca[/name_m] [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m]
[name_m]Soren[/name_m] [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m]
[name_m]Daniel[/name_m] [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m]
[name_m]Cassian[/name_m] [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m]
[name_m]Franklin[/name_m] [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m]
[name_m]Julian[/name_m] [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m]
[name_m]Jonah[/name_m] [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m]
[name_m]Malachi[/name_m] [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m]
[name_m]Everett[/name_m] [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m]

1 Like
Summary

[name_f]An[/name_f] excellent choice! :wink:

I had [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m] and [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m] on my short list. Pick what you love.

1 Like

I adore [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m]! It has such a cool, offbeat but trendy, friendly vibe! To me it doesn’t feel that much more out there than [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m]. And especially since you already have another son with a slightly more out-there nickname name, it makes more sense to me to use [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m] as a first name! He can have a more familiar middle name that he can go by if he grows up and decides [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m] doesn’t suit him, and I think it’s a better match with his siblings’ names that way.

1 Like

It does have a cool, 70’s/ 80’s hair band type vibe. I dont think its too out there.

As for full names Id suggest… (trying to stay clear of the more obvious…)

Seigfrid
[name_m]Briggs[/name_m]
[name_m]Ignatius[/name_m]
[name_m]Inigo[/name_m]
[name_m]Eligius[/name_m]
[name_m]Frigyes[/name_m]
[name_m]Ignacio[/name_m]
[name_m]Igasho[/name_m]
[name_f]Indigo[/name_f]
[name_m]Makisig[/name_m]
[name_m]Remigius[/name_m]
[name_m]Riggins[/name_m]
[name_m]Rodriguez[/name_m]
[name_m]Santiago[/name_m] / [name_m]Santigo[/name_m]
[name_m]Selig[/name_m]

I am not sure if the world is ready for an adult [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m] yet. Perhaps they will be by the time your little boy is grown up, but I would guess it will still sound too out there/childish.

But, I love it as a nickname (even a nickname that is always used) for your little guy, especially with siblings [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] & [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m].

For full names, I would suggest:
[name_m]Zeke[/name_m]
[name_m]Zion[/name_m]
[name_m]Zander[/name_m]
[name_m]Zealand[/name_m]

I think I like [name_m]Zeke[/name_m] the most for the nickname [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m]. It almost sounds like calling him “Zekey”, but that it transformed into [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m].

Ohhh, I like [name_m]Briggs[/name_m]. Thanks!

I like [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m] alongside [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] and [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] and also like the suggestion of [name_m]Briggs[/name_m].

glad you like it!!

I also realised [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m] is at #366 in the UK - similar to [name_m]Morgan[/name_m], [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m], [name_m]Ben[/name_m], [name_m]Corey[/name_m], [name_m]Cairo[/name_m], [name_m]Malachi[/name_m] and [name_m]Declan[/name_m] in popularity here!

I live in NZ and have met a lot of Ziggy’s so for me it feels much less out there than [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m]. Yes. You are ready for [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m].

I think the world is ready for a [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m]!

other recommendations:

[name_m]Zander[/name_m] (this is my fave for you!)
[name_m]Zeke[/name_m]
[name_m]Jagger[/name_m]
[name_m]Cliff[/name_m]
[name_m]Kenny[/name_m]
[name_m]Harvey[/name_m]
[name_m]Atlas[/name_m]

You could do [name_m]Zander[/name_m] [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m] nn Ziggy!! Sounds soooo cool

perfect with siblings bc they all have Z’s

[name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m], & [name_m]Zander[/name_m] :heart: