Ari or Aristotle

Thoughts on the name Ari or using Aristotle and Ari as a nickname?

I love the name [name_u]Ari[/name_u], especially for a boy! [name_u]Love[/name_u] short boys’ names with vowel endings, and this one is used about equally for boys and girls in the U.S., which is cool. It’s a bit higher ranked for boys (342 vs 478). Familiar but not overly common, a real sweet spot name! I picture a friendly and approachable kid, confident with a bookish side.

[name_m]Aristotle[/name_m] seems a bit heavy and less wearable for a kid.

3 Likes

I love [name_u]Ari[/name_u], personally I would use it as a nickname x

A nickname for [name_m]Aristotle[/name_m] or another name? What other name?

Very cool :+1:

I like it alone and as a nickname for Ariel!
Ari is fun, warm, sunny, and sweet. Aristotle does feel a bit heavy and aristocratic to me.

I’d go with
[name_u]Aria[/name_u]
[name_u]Archer[/name_u]
[name_u]Arian[/name_u]
[name_u]Aries[/name_u]

I like [name_u]Ari[/name_u]!

I’m not so keen on [name_m]Aristotle[/name_m] though, although I do think it’s usable, especially because of [name_m]Aristotle[/name_m] and [name_m]Dante[/name_m] Discover the Secrets of the Universe and his nn is also [name_u]Ari[/name_u]! So if you really like it I think it would be okay.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite is [name_u]Archer[/name_u] nn [name_u]Ari[/name_u]. I really like [name_u]Archer[/name_u] but not [name_m]Archie[/name_m] as a nn but [name_u]Ari[/name_u] would be great!

I also quite like [name_u]Aster[/name_u] nn [name_u]Ari[/name_u].

I love Ari, a very cool and sweet little name!

I also like Aristotle - I don’t think it’s all that hard to wear, but maybe I’m biased because I know one. I do like Ari on its own a bit more, but Aristotle is also a good choice!

[name_u]Ari[/name_u] is lovely - actually overheard a kid being called [name_u]Ari[/name_u] today (with brother B0dhi!). It’s gentle, earthy and relaxed but fun and cool too.

I think I like [name_u]Ari[/name_u] on it’s own best but [name_m]Aristotle[/name_m] is a bold and distinctive choice, if you want that philosophy link

I love [name_u]Ari[/name_u] as a stand-alone and as a nickname for a few different names (Ariel, [name_u]Artemis[/name_u], [name_m]Artem[/name_m], [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] and more) but [name_m]Aristotle[/name_m] personally doesn’t seem the most wearable to me and therefore isn’t my cup of tea (I don’t see it as unusable though).

That said, if you love [name_m]Aristotle[/name_m], go for it! Like I said, I don’t think it’s unwearable, just a bit “out there,” which isn’t necessarily a problem :slight_smile:

1 Like

[name_u]Ari[/name_u] !!!

I would laugh out loud at [name_m]Aristotle[/name_m] unless the child was Greek, honestly.

[name_u]Ari[/name_u] and [name_m]Aristotle[/name_m] have completely different vibes to me, so I find it hard to make a choice.

I wouldn’t say [name_m]Aristotle[/name_m] is unusable - one my children has the middle name Pythagoras, so that would be hypocritical of me :joy: I think I prefer [name_m]Aristotle[/name_m] in the middle name spot though, unless the child is Greek or has some strong Greek heritage. But I believe you could pull it off as a first as well.

[name_u]Ari[/name_u] on its own is great too. It’s very wearable and international. I like the animal meanings of [name_u]Ari[/name_u] (lion in Hebrew, eagle in Old Norse).

1 Like

I love both but I’m a very ‘use your GPs’ kind of person, so objectively, [name_u]Ari[/name_u] is more wearable and multicultural. [name_m]Aristotle[/name_m] has history nerd, dark academia, quirky, I-literally-do-not-care-how-outlandish-my-child’s-name-is posh vibes (which I’m totally here for but it’s not everyone’s cup of tea!).

Having said that, [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] was a bit like that when various posh celebs were using it a few years ago and now it’s much more ‘normal’ and popular, so it’s all a matter of perspective! And [name_m]Aristotle[/name_m] is made much more wearable with nn [name_u]Ari[/name_u].

I think if we used [name_m]Aristotle[/name_m] its a name I would call him a lot at home but when introducing him to people Id just say [name_u]Ari[/name_u].
[name_f]My[/name_f] husband is actually a history teacher lol but he isnt totally on board with it. He says he only is considering it because he likes [name_u]Ari[/name_u].
I feel like at first thought [name_m]Aristotle[/name_m] seemed out there for me but the more i let it roll around in my head the more I like it.
We arent greek and we arent big [name_m]Aristotle[/name_m] buffs. I just like it and I like [name_u]Ari[/name_u] as a nickname.
I like having a longer name with a nickname. Though my other sons name is [name_u]Rex[/name_u] and thats his full name.
[name_u]Rex[/name_u] actually complains about his name because its only 3 letters lol.

You could always just name him Ari and call him Aristotle as a pet name!

3 Likes

I think [name_m]Aristotle[/name_m] would be a strange name to have if you don’t have Greek heritage. It’s like [name_m]Michelangelo[/name_m] - fine if you’re Italian, but “Michelangelo Smith” is going to seem odd and will raise eyebrows.

[name_u]Ari[/name_u] is great and more cross-cultural.

1 Like

I think if there’s no real, serious reason you’d want [name_m]Aristotle[/name_m] aside from how it sounds, leave it out. It’s a heavy name to have, and you’ll get lots of questions that you’ll either have disappointing answers to, or you’ll be left wondering what you’re supposed to know and care about re Greek philosophy.

[name_u]Ari[/name_u] sounds like a better choice, and you could always call him [name_m]Aristotle[/name_m] for fun.

1 Like

I like [name_m]Aristotle[/name_m]! I know a (Greek) boy with [name_m]Aristotle[/name_m] as his middle, which I think is great. Definitely prefer it to [name_u]Ari[/name_u] as a standalone, but [name_u]Ari[/name_u] is a nice nickname for [name_m]Aristotle[/name_m]! Could be a nickname for FN or MN to me, both work.