Ariane/Arianne...Possibly?

I know you’re all probably sick of me…I’m so sorry! However, I’m so grateful for all of your comments and ideas on my other thread!

We still don’t have even one serious contender; however my SO said if we could get [name_f]Ariane[/name_f]/[name_f]Arianne[/name_f] to work for what we have been looking for; we would look into considering it more seriously. So now for my questions…

1. [name_m]How[/name_m] would you pronounce [name_f]Ariane[/name_f]? [name_f]Arianne[/name_f]?

2. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think spelling would be an issue with either one? (I’m more concerned about [name_f]Ariane[/name_f])

3. Does [name_f]Ariane[/name_f] look incomplete/not right? Or does it seem fine?

4. Could [name_f]Ana[/name_f] be a nickname for [name_f]Arianne[/name_f]? Or would it have to be [name_f]Anna[/name_f] because of the double N’s?

5. Does [name_f]Ariane[/name_f]/[name_f]Arianne[/name_f] “Jur-roo” flow well? (Jur is pronounced like “Jury”)

6. [name_m]How[/name_m] do you picture an [name_f]Ariane[/name_f]/[name_f]Arianne[/name_f]?

Sorry for so many questions but thank you so much!!!

I would pronounce [name_f]Ariane[/name_f] and [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] the same way, but [name_f]Ariane[/name_f] looks incomplete, and both are a bit close to [name_m]Aryan[/name_m]. I’d opt for Arienne, the [name_m]French[/name_m] version which accentuates the last syllable. [name_f]Arianna[/name_f] is also nice, but a bit princess-y. Any of them work well w/your surname. I’d opt for [name_f]Aria[/name_f] as a nn, but if you prefer [name_f]Ana[/name_f], go for it!

rkrd- Arienne is the traditional [name_m]French[/name_m] spelling? Oh goodness…now I’m officially confused!! [name_f]Ariane[/name_f]/[name_f]Arianne[/name_f] became more of an option because I was told that was the [name_m]French[/name_m] spelling? That’s what we want…we need a [name_m]French[/name_m] name (which is why I’m not considering [name_f]Ariana[/name_f]). I had picked this name because I loved the nickname [name_f]Ana[/name_f] and this was pretty much one of the only [name_m]French[/name_m] names that I liked and could work…I didn’t think about how [name_f]Aria[/name_f] could be the automatic nickname for it instead and I hadn’t thought about it being close to [name_m]Aryan[/name_m] before. I think this is a goner :frowning: There are so many more concerns and questions I have about this and I didn’t think there could be any more!! :frowning:

I pronounce both [name_f]Air[/name_f]-ee-ahn, so [name_f]Ana[/name_f] would defiantly work as a nn. As far as spelling, either way you would probably have to spell it for people, but that’s no big deal. [name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_f]Alyssa[/name_f] and it gets mispelled ([name_f]Alissa[/name_f]/[name_f]Allysa[/name_f]/Ayllissa even) all the time, as well as being mispronounced, so even if you went with a common name with only one common spelling you would still have to spell her name for people. I prefer the [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] spelling personally, it just looks more complete to me, but there is nothing wrong with the [name_f]Ariane[/name_f] spelling either. [name_f]Ariane[/name_f]/[name_f]Arianne[/name_f] Juroo is a gorgeous name! use it!

I pronounce both spellings the same way. [name_f]Air[/name_f]-ee-an. It is very very similar to aryan, which makes me want to advise you to keep looking or, if you’re not familiar with the term and the way in which it has been used, please look it up. I’m afraid that this is interfering with my own ability to picture the name on a little girl.

Otherwise, I think [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] or Arienne are prettier spellings. [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] Jooru flows just fine. [name_f]Ana[/name_f] works as a nickname.

1. [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] = air-ee-ann. [name_f]Ariane[/name_f] = are-ee-ahn. It all gets a wee bit complicated when the [name_m]French[/name_m] actually say it though, lol–I think it’s technically like are-ee-ann, but it sounds a bit muffled with all the Frenchiness and I could easily hear where you get [name_f]AIR[/name_f]-ee-ahn from.
  2. I’m not sure. Spelling being an issue with pronunciation, you mean? I think it’s unusual enough that people don’t really know how to say it, so they’d just follow your cue.
  3. It’s always looked like it’s missing something to me. I like [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] much more. But [name_f]Ariane[/name_f] looks really elfish and [name_m]French[/name_m] to me, which I like about it.
  4. Absolutely. If [name_f]Liliana[/name_f] (lily-ah-nah) can get the nn [name_f]Annie[/name_f] (which I’ve heard), then why not the opposite way around? I think [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] could get [name_f]Ana[/name_f], sure. :slight_smile: [name_m]Even[/name_m] if it’s pronounced like air-ee-anne. A lot of nicknames aren’t sound for sound the same. I think of [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] nn [name_f]Evie[/name_f] (which is more often than not EV-eh-lin and EE-vee)–I feel like [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] nn [name_f]Ana[/name_f] would be a lot like that.
  5. Yes! omgoodness, yes. I love [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] with your surname.
  6. I picture a sweet little girl with wispy blond hair, a shy smile, and twinkling blue eyes. She’s a bit of a chatterbox, a total mama’s girl, who loves to read on mama’s lap and discover princess stories and is easily content to play with herself, although she’s not terribly shy. She’s just rather quiet, and doesn’t need others to keep her from feeling lonely or bored. I can see her playing in a treehouse as she gets older, and being very smart/studious in school. Kind. Friendly. Gentle-hearted. The first time I came across [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] was the daughter of a [name_m]Christian[/name_m] recording artist. Her name is [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f], and she’s just a baby doll! I think she’s about seven now, but she was about 2 or 3 when I first saw a photo of her, and she just melted my heart. I wanted one, haha. I’ve been in love with [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] ever since. :slight_smile:

averelladavina- Thank you! :smiley: I’m a big worrier to begin with, but since naming a human being is such a daunting and important task, I find myself worrying even more!!

aym- I am very familiar with the term; I’m from the United States so I learned about that through my years of schooling. Also, that was one of my favorite subjects…that sounds really bad…not favorite as in good, but favorite as in intriguing…that still probably sounds bad, I’ll just stop now haha! That association is really starting to worry me though :frowning: However, I do think Arienne would be “worse” of the [name_f]Ariane[/name_f]/[name_f]Arianne[/name_f]/Arienne spellings in connection to “[name_m]Aryan[/name_m]”

ashthedreamer- Yes, I meant would spelling cause problems with pronunciation mainly. I do feel like [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] looks more complete but I feel like with [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] it may be “[name_f]Anna[/name_f]” rather than “[name_f]Ana[/name_f]”. Minus the blonde hair, I could definitely see a daughter of ours being like that! :slight_smile: (that little [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] you were talking about is adorable)

[name_f]Ariane[/name_f] - [ah-ree-AHN]
[name_f]Arianne[/name_f]? - [ah-ree-AHN] or [ah-ree-[name_f]ANN[/name_f]] (in an English-speaking context)

1. I don’t think so, since [name_f]Ariana[/name_f] and [name_f]Arianna[/name_f] are pretty well-known names. However, both spellings could bring difficulties.

2. [name_f]Ariane[/name_f] is perfectly fine: it’s the standard [name_m]French[/name_m] form of [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f], as in “le fil d’[name_f]Ariane[/name_f]”, and used in a famous verse by [name_u]Jean[/name_u] Racine.

3. [name_f]Ana[/name_f] would be more logical for [name_f]Ariane[/name_f], but it could work for [name_f]Arianne[/name_f].

4. Yes.

5. I picture the cute [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Ariane[/name_f] of the Netherlands, which is my second association with the name.

sugarplumfairy- Thank you! I keep going back and forth on a spelling. I feel like [name_f]Ariane[/name_f] would make more sense but I like the look of [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] with “jur-roo”

I think [name_f]Ariane[/name_f]/[name_f]Arianne[/name_f] is pretty! [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] Hepburn played a character by the name in one of her movies, if I recall.

Well, I would say [name_f]Arianna[/name_f] air-ee-[name_f]ANN[/name_f]-uh…so [name_f]Ana[/name_f] is not very intuitive. I think [name_f]Ana[/name_f] is a tricky sound to get in the U.S., or maybe at least in parts of it. I wanted to pronounce my daughter’s mn [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] as [name_f]Ana[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Anna[/name_f], but noooooobody could “get it,” so we ended up just giving up and saying [name_f]Anna[/name_f].

I WOULD say [name_f]Ariana[/name_f] as air-ee-AHH-na, but it sort of sounds like “airy on a…” Blergh, I can’t make this name sound pretty. It does look less complete, though.

Arienne I would say as ah-ree-ENN and it SEEMS the most [name_m]French[/name_m], to a non-[name_m]French[/name_m] speaker.

I didn’t think of the [name_m]Aryan[/name_m] thing at all, but now that it has been brought up I can’t stop hearing it. Arienne is the only one that avoids it, in my particular accent.

Ugh, this is kind of frustrating. [name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] instead, haha!

[name_f]Ariane[/name_f] is the [name_m]French[/name_m] version and it should be pronounced like “ar-ee-AHN”. [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] wouldn’t give you the “AHN” you seek. If [name_f]Ariane[/name_f] is pronounced properly, I shouldn’t think the [name_m]Aryan[/name_m] association would be a big issue. [name_f]Ariana[/name_f]/[name_f]Arianna[/name_f] is quite popular so I suspect that the parents weren’t thinking of [name_m]Aryan[/name_m] in these cases either. Any [name_m]French[/name_m] name ending in “ane” or one which contains the letters/sounds similar to [name_f]Ana[/name_f] could give you [name_f]Ana[/name_f].

[name_f]Eliane[/name_f]/[name_f]Liane[/name_f]
[name_f]Oriane[/name_f] (fave)
[name_f]Alexandrine[/name_f]
[name_f]Amarante[/name_f]
[name_f]Amandine[/name_f]
[name_f]Liliane[/name_f]
[name_f]Sandrine[/name_f]
[name_f]Annette[/name_f]
[name_f]Antoinette[/name_f]
[name_f]Blanche[/name_f]
[name_f]Chantal[/name_f]
[name_f]Emmanuelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Diane[/name_f]
[name_f]Manon[/name_f]
[name_f]Marianne[/name_f]
[name_f]Melanie[/name_f]
[name_f]Nadine[/name_f]
[name_f]Oceane[/name_f]
[name_f]Solange[/name_f]
[name_f]Suzanne[/name_f]
[name_f]Anouk[/name_f]
Blandine
[name_f]Christiane[/name_f]
[name_f]Constance[/name_f]
Donatienne
[name_f]Doriane[/name_f]
[name_f]Fabienne[/name_f]
[name_f]Fernande[/name_f]
Floriane
[name_f]Gaetane[/name_f]
[name_f]Ghislaine[/name_f]
[name_u]Germaine[/name_u]
[name_f]Jacinthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliane[/name_f]
[name_f]Melisande[/name_f]
[name_f]Morgane[/name_f]
[name_f]Romane[/name_f]
[name_f]Roxane[/name_f]
Sylviane
Valeriane
[name_f]Viviane[/name_f]
[name_f]Yolande[/name_f]
[name_f]Bibiane[/name_f]
[name_u]Damiane[/name_u]

I know two [name_f]Arianne[/name_f]'s (a Scottish one and a [name_m]French[/name_m] – my cousin) and people always automatically spell the Scottish one’s name [name_f]Ariane[/name_f] which is weird…I don’t know about the [name_m]French[/name_m] one as she lives in [name_f]France[/name_f] and I rarely see her.

I’ve obviously have two different pronunciations, both sound awfully similar. The English version I say [name_m]Ah[/name_m]-[name_f]Ree[/name_f]-[name_f]Anne[/name_f], the [name_f]Ree[/name_f] sound is quite low and slightly softhowever I say the [name_m]French[/name_m] very similar but the [name_f]Ree[/name_f] is more acute and high and kind of flows into the [name_f]Anne[/name_f] sound so it’s more like saying “ran” but with a slightly longer vowel sound and the intonation going up at the end slightly…that probably made no sense.

I’m personally more of a fan of the [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] spelling, [name_f]Ariane[/name_f] does seem incomplete like me and like a child’s spelling and as if the child is still learning how to spell her name (I used to write my name as [name_f]Elza[/name_f] for ages, I was too cool for the i).

[name_f]Ana[/name_f]/[name_f]Anna[/name_f] can both be nicknames in my mind, anything name based can be a nickname to me. But I love [name_u]Ari[/name_u] as a nickname! It sounds good with Jur-roo.

I always picture [name_f]Arianne[/name_f]/[name_f]Ariane[/name_f] as being a really bubbly girl but who is very strong willed and says it like it is…but that’s just the woman I know so…

We love people to come to nameberry with a million questions we are here to help so keep on keeping on till you are happy with your choices.

1. Firstly I would spell it as [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] but preferably as [name_f]Arianna[/name_f] as it has a lovely flow and I say A (as in cat) ree ahn uh

2. Go with [name_f]Arianne[/name_f]/a and people will just have to learn the right way to spell it (it’s not hard).

3. I don’t like [name_f]Ariane[/name_f] at all it just doesn’t click

4. Nicknames can be whatever you want them to be

5. No problem with surname

6. [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] is a pretty, feminine name with an unusual flair that I like and as I said before I prefer [name_f]Arianna[/name_f] for flow otherwise [name_f]Arianne[/name_f].

Hey sorry I never managed to get back on the other thread before you closed it.

I think [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] ([name_m]French[/name_m]:a-ree-AHN English: a-ree-[name_f]ANN[/name_f])is a great choice for you guys. I think it sounds nice with your last name and seems to fit all your criteria. I think [name_f]Ana[/name_f] as a nn works for me. If you feel a little insecure about the second a in [name_f]Ana[/name_f] you could choose an mn that starts or ends with an A sound.