Arianne, Annabel, Anneliese, Anastasia, Andromeda

Hey all – been a long time since I’ve posted here! Last time I was on, I was pregnant and dreaming about names, and then I had a miscarriage and had to distance myself from all things baby related for a while (including names). But I’m healing and getting back into curating a name list again :slight_smile:

I think I’ve posted before about this too, but I really love the name [name_f]Anna[/name_f]. It’s sleek and classic and elegant and timeless, but also quite common and short, so I would love a longer version with [name_f]Anna[/name_f] as a nickname if at all possible.

I stumbled upon [name_f]Arianne[/name_f], and am crushing hard on it. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you pronounce it Air-ee-ANN or Aw-ree-ANN? [name_u]Or[/name_u] a different pronunciation altogether? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_f]Anna[/name_f] (pronounced ANN-uh, not ON-uh) would be a possible nickname for [name_f]Arianne[/name_f]? I also like the nickname [name_f]Aria[/name_f], but I tend towards the Air-ee-ANN pronunciation so [name_f]Aria[/name_f] doesn’t exactly fit.

I also like [name_f]Annabel[/name_f], [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f], and [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f], but they are a bit frillier and less grounded than [name_f]Anna[/name_f] and [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] feel to me.

[name_f]My[/name_f] guilty pleasure favourite name is [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f], nicknamed [name_f]Anna[/name_f]. I just worry that it’s not wearable and over the top. But it’s been a long time favourite for me!

Any other thoughts? [name_u]Or[/name_u] suggestions for a long version for [name_f]Anna[/name_f]?

4 Likes

I’m so sorry about your loss but I’m so glad you’re healing :heart:

I would say ah-ree-ANN!

Some other ideas…

[name_f]Annabeth[/name_f]
[name_u]Antonia[/name_u]
[name_f]Antonella[/name_f]
[name_f]Savannah[/name_f]
Adrianna/Adriana
Lilianna/Liliana/Lilianne
Vivianna/Viviana/Vivianne
Elianna/Eliana
Mariana/Marianna/Marianne
Alianna/Aliana
[name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f]
[name_f]Johanna[/name_f]
Roxanna/Roxana/Roxanne
Susannah/Susanna
[name_f]Annika[/name_f]
[name_f]Avianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]
Angela/Angelina
[name_f]Diana[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgiana[/name_f]
[name_f]Hosanna[/name_f]
Juliana/Julianna/Julianne

I am so sorry for your loss.

I love [name_u]Anne[/name_u], [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f], [name_f]Annemieke[/name_f], and [name_f]Annemarie[/name_f].

I’d pronounce [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] as ah-ree-ann :slight_smile: air-ree-ann is a bit too much like aryan to me.

[name_f]Arianne[/name_f] nn [name_f]Anna[/name_f] works though I love [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f] :heart_eyes:

I’m so sorry for your loss.

I like it and I pronounce [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] like Are-ee-ann. [name_f]Anna[/name_f] and [name_f]Aria[/name_f] would definitely work if not by the sound then the spelling. [name_f]Annabel[/name_f], [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] and [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] are a few of my favourite names so of course I love them! But [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f] is a bit too uncommon for me but it would make a great middle name with a shorter first name like [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] or [name_f]Belle[/name_f].

What about:

[name_f]Julianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Annalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]
[name_f]Annette[/name_f]
[name_f]Nanette[/name_f]
[name_f]Kianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Marianne[/name_f]
Lucianne
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u]
[name_f]Savannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Elana[/name_f]
[name_f]Fantasia[/name_f]
[name_f]Francesca[/name_f]
[name_f]Frances[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilyanne[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Evalyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Brianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Annika[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Leilani[/name_f]
[name_u]Delaney[/name_u]
[name_u]Rain[/name_u]
Rainliese
[name_f]Diana[/name_f]
[name_f]Adrianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Joanna[/name_f]
Susannah/Susanna
[name_f]Georgiana[/name_f]
[name_f]Tatiana[/name_f]
[name_f]Giovanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Anais[/name_f]
[name_f]Amanda[/name_f]
[name_f]Anastasie[/name_f]
Antonia/Antonina
[name_f]Sylvana[/name_f]
[name_f]Maximiliana[/name_f]
[name_f]Annunciata[/name_f]
[name_f]Annora[/name_f]
[name_f]Honora[/name_f]
[name_f]Annis[/name_f]
[name_f]Morgana[/name_f]
[name_f]Mariana[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliana[/name_f]
[name_f]Aureliana[/name_f]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f]
[name_f]Mina[/name_f]
[name_u]Madison[/name_u]
[name_u]Addison[/name_u]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps!

I’m so sorry for your loss :heart:

I absolutely love [name_f]Anna[/name_f]! [name_m]Just[/name_m] [name_f]Anna[/name_f] would be my pick, but I do understand wanting a longer form. To that end–Arianne is really pretty! [name_f]My[/name_f] first instinct is to say ar-ee-AHN because of someone I know with a similar name, but setting that aside and just looking at the spelling, I’d pronounce it ar-ee-ANN. I think [name_f]Anna[/name_f] works as a nickname, although I do think it would take some effort to get it to stick. I agree with you that [name_f]Annabel[/name_f], [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f], and [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f], though lovely (and perhaps slightly more intuitive ways of getting to Anna), are a bit frillier. Which brings us to [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f]! I’ll admit it’s a bit extravagant for my personal taste, but I can absolutely appreciate the appeal–it’s a great name. And I think [name_f]Anna[/name_f] works perfectly as a nickname for it! [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f] “Anna” seems totally wearable to me, and I’d be very excited to meet one. And since you seem to genuinely love that option, it definitely gets my vote here! :yellow_heart:

i’m so sorry for your loss :white_heart:

i pronounce [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] like ah-ree-ann, it’s such a cute name! out of the other names you suggested i love Anneliese and Anastasia! they are such adorable names!

So sorry for you loss.

If I saw the name [name_f]Arianne[/name_f], I would think it was pronounced aryan, but secondarily, ARE-ee-in. I guess the emphasis on the -anne is not that natural to me, but I could be corrected, and with that pronunciation, I could see [name_f]Anna[/name_f] being a nickname. However, I personally would avoid the name due to the aryan association. [name_f]Annabel[/name_f] is not for me, and I agree that while lovely, [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] feels frilly.

I love [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] though! I also think [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f] works. I’m pretty sure [name_f]Anna[/name_f] from [name_f]My[/name_f] Sister’s Keeper (at least the book, not sure they mentioned it in the movie) is short for [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f]. However, I like [name_f]Anna[/name_f] alone best :slight_smile:

Other names that could be nn [name_f]Anna[/name_f]: [name_f]Savannah[/name_f], Cassandra/other -andra names, [name_f]Joanna[/name_f], [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], [name_f]Anais[/name_f], [name_f]Annamarie[/name_f].

Firstly, I’m so sorry for your loss & that you had to go through such pain :purple_heart:

I think my favorites from your list have to be [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f], [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f], & [name_f]Arianne[/name_f]. I would personally say Air-ee-ANN as well. [name_f]Anna[/name_f] may not be the intuitive nickname for [name_f]Arianne[/name_f], but it is possible. She could easily introduce herself as [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] nickname [name_f]Anna[/name_f], and most people would respect that!

I think [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f] is definitely a fun, cooler, & more out-there option but not over the top. I can see it as very wearable, and I am rooting for you to use it if this is what your heart is leaning to!

I also love [name_f]Avianna[/name_f], [name_f]Aviana[/name_f], Annarose, & [name_f]Anahi[/name_f] (pronounced Ah-nuh-EE, silent ‘H’)

[name_f]Annabel[/name_f] or [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Ariadne[/name_f]
[name_f]Antonella[/name_f]
[name_f]Oriana[/name_f]
[name_f]Arabelle[/name_f] or [name_f]Arabella[/name_f]

I pronounce [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] as "aw-ree-ANN and I could see [name_f]Anna[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] for sure. [name_f]Annabel[/name_f] is my preference for [name_f]Anna[/name_f] though.

I don’t think [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f] is over the top at all (especially not with a down to earth nickname like [name_f]Anna[/name_f] or Andie) and is definitely my favorite here.

I actually think [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] has a very similar vibe to [name_f]Arianne[/name_f], and while it’s longer in letters I’ve never considered it to be frilly sound wise.

Admittedly I’m not a fan of [name_f]Arianne[/name_f], but that’s because it’s a popular dog whistle type name among neo nazis in my area, but that’s an oddly specific association and one that likely wouldn’t be applicable.

Oh! Maybe [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] or Arietty?

I would pronounce [name_f]Arianne[/name_f], ah ree ON, because [name_f]Arianna[/name_f] is pronounced, ah ree ON ah. The name might present pronunciation problems. Something to consider.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite is [name_u]Antonia[/name_u] (ann TONE ya) nickname [name_f]Anna[/name_f]. It begins with the [name_f]Ann[/name_f] sound and ends with an “a.” It is a classic, but not widely used and perfect way to get to the nickname [name_f]Anna[/name_f], yet have a more formal alternative name.