Arianne, Annabel, Anneliese, Anastasia, Andromeda

Hey all – been a long time since I’ve posted here! Last time I was on, I was pregnant and dreaming about names, and then I had a miscarriage and had to distance myself from all things baby related for a while (including names). But I’m healing and getting back into curating a name list again :slight_smile:

I think I’ve posted before about this too, but I really love the name [name_f]Anna[/name_f]. It’s sleek and classic and elegant and timeless, but also quite common and short, so I would love a longer version with [name_f]Anna[/name_f] as a nickname if at all possible.

I stumbled upon [name_f]Arianne[/name_f], and am crushing hard on it. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you pronounce it Air-ee-ANN or Aw-ree-ANN? [name_u]Or[/name_u] a different pronunciation altogether? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_f]Anna[/name_f] (pronounced ANN-uh, not ON-uh) would be a possible nickname for [name_f]Arianne[/name_f]? I also like the nickname [name_f]Aria[/name_f], but I tend towards the Air-ee-ANN pronunciation so [name_f]Aria[/name_f] doesn’t exactly fit.

I also like [name_f]Annabel[/name_f], [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f], and [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f], but they are a bit frillier and less grounded than [name_f]Anna[/name_f] and [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] feel to me.

[name_f]My[/name_f] guilty pleasure favourite name is [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f], nicknamed [name_f]Anna[/name_f]. I just worry that it’s not wearable and over the top. But it’s been a long time favourite for me!

Any other thoughts? [name_u]Or[/name_u] suggestions for a long version for [name_f]Anna[/name_f]?

4 Likes

I’m so sorry about your loss but I’m so glad you’re healing :heart:

I would say ah-ree-ANN!

Some other ideas…

[name_f]Annabeth[/name_f]
[name_u]Antonia[/name_u]
[name_f]Antonella[/name_f]
[name_f]Savannah[/name_f]
Adrianna/Adriana
Lilianna/Liliana/Lilianne
Vivianna/Viviana/Vivianne
Elianna/Eliana
Mariana/Marianna/Marianne
Alianna/Aliana
[name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f]
[name_f]Johanna[/name_f]
Roxanna/Roxana/Roxanne
Susannah/Susanna
[name_f]Annika[/name_f]
[name_f]Avianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]
Angela/Angelina
[name_f]Diana[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgiana[/name_f]
[name_f]Hosanna[/name_f]
Juliana/Julianna/Julianne

I am so sorry for your loss.

I love [name_u]Anne[/name_u], [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f], [name_f]Annemieke[/name_f], and [name_f]Annemarie[/name_f].

I’d pronounce [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] as ah-ree-ann :slight_smile: air-ree-ann is a bit too much like aryan to me.

[name_f]Arianne[/name_f] nn [name_f]Anna[/name_f] works though I love [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f] :heart_eyes:

I’m so sorry for your loss.

I like it and I pronounce [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] like Are-ee-ann. [name_f]Anna[/name_f] and [name_f]Aria[/name_f] would definitely work if not by the sound then the spelling. [name_f]Annabel[/name_f], [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] and [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] are a few of my favourite names so of course I love them! But [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f] is a bit too uncommon for me but it would make a great middle name with a shorter first name like [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] or [name_f]Belle[/name_f].

What about:

[name_f]Julianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Annalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]
[name_f]Annette[/name_f]
[name_f]Nanette[/name_f]
[name_f]Kianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Marianne[/name_f]
Lucianne
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u]
[name_f]Savannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Elana[/name_f]
[name_f]Fantasia[/name_f]
[name_f]Francesca[/name_f]
[name_f]Frances[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilyanne[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Evalyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Brianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Annika[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Leilani[/name_f]
[name_u]Delaney[/name_u]
[name_u]Rain[/name_u]
Rainliese
[name_f]Diana[/name_f]
[name_f]Adrianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Joanna[/name_f]
Susannah/Susanna
[name_f]Georgiana[/name_f]
[name_f]Tatiana[/name_f]
[name_f]Giovanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Anais[/name_f]
[name_f]Amanda[/name_f]
[name_f]Anastasie[/name_f]
Antonia/Antonina
[name_f]Sylvana[/name_f]
[name_f]Maximiliana[/name_f]
[name_f]Annunciata[/name_f]
[name_f]Annora[/name_f]
[name_f]Honora[/name_f]
[name_f]Annis[/name_f]
[name_f]Morgana[/name_f]
[name_f]Mariana[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliana[/name_f]
[name_f]Aureliana[/name_f]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f]
[name_f]Mina[/name_f]
[name_u]Madison[/name_u]
[name_u]Addison[/name_u]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps!

I’m so sorry for your loss :heart:

I absolutely love [name_f]Anna[/name_f]! [name_m]Just[/name_m] [name_f]Anna[/name_f] would be my pick, but I do understand wanting a longer form. To that end–Arianne is really pretty! [name_f]My[/name_f] first instinct is to say ar-ee-AHN because of someone I know with a similar name, but setting that aside and just looking at the spelling, I’d pronounce it ar-ee-ANN. I think [name_f]Anna[/name_f] works as a nickname, although I do think it would take some effort to get it to stick. I agree with you that [name_f]Annabel[/name_f], [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f], and [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f], though lovely (and perhaps slightly more intuitive ways of getting to Anna), are a bit frillier. Which brings us to [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f]! I’ll admit it’s a bit extravagant for my personal taste, but I can absolutely appreciate the appeal–it’s a great name. And I think [name_f]Anna[/name_f] works perfectly as a nickname for it! [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f] “Anna” seems totally wearable to me, and I’d be very excited to meet one. And since you seem to genuinely love that option, it definitely gets my vote here! :yellow_heart:

i’m so sorry for your loss :white_heart:

i pronounce Arianne like ah-ree-ann, it’s such a cute name! out of the other names you suggested i love Anneliese and Anastasia! they are such adorable names!

So sorry for you loss.

If I saw the name [name_f]Arianne[/name_f], I would think it was pronounced aryan, but secondarily, ARE-ee-in. I guess the emphasis on the -anne is not that natural to me, but I could be corrected, and with that pronunciation, I could see [name_f]Anna[/name_f] being a nickname. However, I personally would avoid the name due to the aryan association. [name_f]Annabel[/name_f] is not for me, and I agree that while lovely, [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] feels frilly.

I love [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] though! I also think [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f] works. I’m pretty sure [name_f]Anna[/name_f] from [name_f]My[/name_f] Sister’s Keeper (at least the book, not sure they mentioned it in the movie) is short for [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f]. However, I like [name_f]Anna[/name_f] alone best :slight_smile:

Other names that could be nn [name_f]Anna[/name_f]: [name_f]Savannah[/name_f], Cassandra/other -andra names, [name_f]Joanna[/name_f], [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], [name_f]Anais[/name_f], [name_f]Annamarie[/name_f].

Firstly, I’m so sorry for your loss & that you had to go through such pain :purple_heart:

I think my favorites from your list have to be Anastasia, Andromeda, & Arianne. I would personally say Air-ee-ANN as well. Anna may not be the intuitive nickname for Arianne, but it is possible. She could easily introduce herself as Arianne nickname Anna, and most people would respect that!

I think Andromeda is definitely a fun, cooler, & more out-there option but not over the top. I can see it as very wearable, and I am rooting for you to use it if this is what your heart is leaning to!

I also love Avianna, Aviana, Annarose, & Anahi (pronounced Ah-nuh-EE, silent ‘H’)

[name_f]Annabel[/name_f] or [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Ariadne[/name_f]
[name_f]Antonella[/name_f]
[name_f]Oriana[/name_f]
[name_f]Arabelle[/name_f] or [name_f]Arabella[/name_f]

I pronounce [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] as "aw-ree-ANN and I could see [name_f]Anna[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] for sure. [name_f]Annabel[/name_f] is my preference for [name_f]Anna[/name_f] though.

I don’t think [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f] is over the top at all (especially not with a down to earth nickname like [name_f]Anna[/name_f] or Andie) and is definitely my favorite here.

I actually think [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] has a very similar vibe to [name_f]Arianne[/name_f], and while it’s longer in letters I’ve never considered it to be frilly sound wise.

Admittedly I’m not a fan of [name_f]Arianne[/name_f], but that’s because it’s a popular dog whistle type name among neo nazis in my area, but that’s an oddly specific association and one that likely wouldn’t be applicable.

Oh! Maybe [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] or Arietty?

I would pronounce [name_f]Arianne[/name_f], ah ree ON, because [name_f]Arianna[/name_f] is pronounced, ah ree ON ah. The name might present pronunciation problems. Something to consider.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite is [name_u]Antonia[/name_u] (ann TONE ya) nickname [name_f]Anna[/name_f]. It begins with the [name_f]Ann[/name_f] sound and ends with an “a.” It is a classic, but not widely used and perfect way to get to the nickname [name_f]Anna[/name_f], yet have a more formal alternative name.