Ariel?

Is [name_u]Ariel[/name_u], nn [name_u]Ari[/name_u], usable for a boy? I see that it was at 550-ish on the top 1000.
We would use the Hebrew pronounciation - ah-ree-EHYL (last syllable rhymes with ‘gale,’ ‘mail,’ ect). Would it work on a boy with a boy’s only middle name, eg. [name_m]Jack[/name_m], [name_u]James[/name_u], ect.?
Thanks

2 Likes

Yep, [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] is definitely usable for a boy!!

I hadn’t thought about the second. If I ever used it, it would be sometime in the future, so that may not be as prominent an association. It’s something to remember, though.

1 Like

I would assume girl, which isn’t a problem in and of itself; I’m all for the idea that unisex names should go both ways. But in this case, I would worry that the [name_m]Little[/name_m] Mermaid association might make it a bit of a hard name for a little boy to wear. [name_f]My[/name_f] perception could be skewed though–I definitely wouldn’t have guessed that [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] would be in the top 1000 for boys, so it’s totally possible I just live in a region where it’s less familiar. I also really like the nn [name_u]Ari[/name_u], and I do think that plus an “all boy” middle would help (I wouldn’t put [name_u]James[/name_u] in that category though, especially as a middle).

1 Like

I love this name for a boy. Unfortunately, the [name_m]Little[/name_m] Mermaid association is too strong for me, but I would like to meet a little boy [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] and I think that might change my view. I do love the meaning.

1 Like

It sounds very feminine to me. Definitely never heard it used on a boy before.

I actually went to school with a few boys named [name_u]Ariel[/name_u]! I think the name is pretty unisex. I actually slightly prefer it on a boy, and [name_u]Ari[/name_u] is a cute nn!

I think it could work! I know a boy named [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] with that pronunciation and it seems unisex to me!

I like it for a boy and think [name_u]Ari[/name_u] works great. It has a wonderful international appeal. While I recollect the kidnapping case mentioned, it’s not the first thing that comes to mind. Also, for what it’s worth I really don’t think the kids these days are that into The [name_m]Little[/name_m] Mermaid.

I grew up with an [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] (boy). It’s such a beautiful name.

[name_f]May[/name_f] I ask if you are in Israeli or Hebrew-speaking circles? If yes, then the feminine concern should be a non-issue. Especially with a very male middle.

No glaring associations come to mind other than [name_m]Little[/name_m] Mermaid, but honestly, when I see [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] I assume male.

2 Likes

[name_u]Ariel[/name_u] is great for a boy! With a solid middle name it feels very masculine to me

The [name_m]Little[/name_m] Mermaid association is too strong for me. It sounds quite feminine.
It’s usable on a boy( it’s in the top 1000) and with the Hebrew pronunciation it sounds more like a boys’ name.

I really like [name_u]Ari[/name_u]! I think [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] works fine for a boy in languages like Hebrew and Spanish. I’m not sure I would recommend it for a boy in heavily Anglo areas, because of pronunciation issues and possible teasing (because of The [name_m]Little[/name_m] Mermaid).

I also always think of him when I hear this name :slightly_frowning_face:

It was originally a boy’s name I believe so it’s 100% usable. It’s very Israeli IMO haha

I always think of the play the [name_u]Tempest[/name_u]! So yes. It’s usable for a boy.

My first thought / picture is of the [name_m]Little[/name_m] Mermaid, but it does seem unisex to me, especially given it’s meaning and history. I actually prefer [name_f]Arielle[/name_f] for girls. I think it would be fresh and exciting on a boy. You may have to explain at some time though why he has the same name as the [name_m]Little[/name_m] Mermaid, but that’s just an opportunity to explain that sometimes girls and boys share the same names. He may have already met several girls with “boy” names by then in any case.

Is it usable? Probably. I knew a boy named McKenna once who was never teased about his name, as far as I ever knew.

It is very [name_m]Little[/name_m] Mermaid for me though. The same way I think it would be hard for a little girl to pull off the name of a Disney prince, I could see kids teasing a boy named [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] (despite the different pronunciation). Disney didn’t do you any favors by using the [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] spelling over [name_f]Arielle[/name_f] either! I also disagree with a previous poster who said kids aren’t as familiar with the movie anymore. A live-action remake is in the making and I tend to view the Disney [name_f]Princess[/name_f] movies as classics anyways. [name_f]Every[/name_f] little girl I’ve met recently has been familiar with them.

Furthermore, my only association with [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] on a boy is [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] Castro. So I have a negatively skewed perception on the name on a boy from that perspective too.

2 Likes

I like [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] and love [name_u]Ari[/name_u] on a boy. I would assume any boy I met with this name was Jewish/Israeli.

If I see or hear [name_u]Ariel[/name_u], I would assume girl, but I do think it works for a boy! Especially with a boy’s only middle name. But be careful with [name_u]James[/name_u], since that is strongly rising for girls.