Arliss

OK just to be clear, I am NOT having a boy. However, randomly while I was in the shower, this name came into my head: [name]Arliss[/name]. It reminds me of a character in the movie Old Yeller, as well as a more recent HBO show (as [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] note).

I really like it. Does anyone know what it means? Are there any current namesakes? Info on the web is very scant. [name]Both[/name] this site and behindthename.com don’t list meanings for it, which is almost shocking to me! lol

Okay. I went to some really scary [name]Neveah[/name]/Addysynne type baby naming site to find this (I don’t remember which one, and I’m too traumatized to go back), but [name]Arliss[/name] is Hebrew in origin, and means “pledge.”

:slight_smile:

LOL, thanks jill. I was guessing it was a contraction of “[name]Aurelius[/name].” I’m surprised there’s so little information about it.

I used to love to read “Old Yeller” in my Disney [name]America[/name] book when I was young. Loved the character of [name]Arliss[/name], but I would never name my son that. [name]Do[/name] you like the [name]Toby[/name] [name]Tyler[/name] character who ran off to the circus? I love him! I would name my son [name]Toby[/name], but my husband would never go for it. Maybe a cat named [name]Toby[/name]…

Hmm, I actually don’t remember much about Old Yeller. [name]Just[/name] that kid’s name stood out to me for some reason. [name]Toby[/name] is a cute name! I like it.