Arrow

Hello, Berries :slight_smile:

What are your thoughts on the name [name_m]Arrow[/name_m] for a boy? As you can see, it’s not in my siggy, because I haven’t included guilty pleasure names, and so far [name_m]Arrow[/name_m] has been my ultimate #1 guilty pleasure name. But the more I think about it, the more I wonder if it has to stay a guilty pleasure name, or if it’s useable. Does it sound too hipster? I’m always attracted to 2 syllable names, especially ones that start with vowels. One reason I love [name_m]Arrow[/name_m] and am starting to think it could be useable is because of the beautiful Bible verse: “Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, are the children of one’s youth.” Psalm 127:4.

What are your honest opinions on the name? Useable or should it stay a guilty pleasure name? I’ll definitely keep it as a middle name option, if it’s too crazy for a first name.

Also: I don’t care for unisex names, but this one seems to be one. Does it seem more like a boy or girl name to you?

I like [name_m]Arrow[/name_m] for the subtle Biblical tie as well. I think it could work as a first name, definitely.

I really like the name [name_m]Arrow[/name_m]. I can see if used for either a boy or a girl. I’ve often considered it a nickname for a little girl named [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] - I tend to like crazy nicknames. :slight_smile: I think you could totally use it as a first name.

I love it and actually have the same question, so I’m looking forward to hearing what others say!

I saw it used on a TV show for a baby boy. I definitely think it can work. [name_m]Arrow[/name_m] sounds like a name that would belong to a curious, spunky little boy. It feels more like a boy name to me because it reminds me of the name [name_m]Archer[/name_m] and [name_u]Robin[/name_u] Hood. Although it is pretty unisex.

I appreciate the feedback, thanks! Still having a hard time deciding if I could imagine actually using it. Thanks!

I like the biblical reference but for me, it’s too similar to naming your child [name_m]Gunner[/name_m] (NOT [name_m]Gunnar[/name_m]), [name_f]Beretta[/name_f], or [name_m]Remington[/name_m].

My comment on this may be a little biased.

We named our girl [name_m]Arrow[/name_m] [name_f]Milena[/name_f]. She is now 2yrs. It is unisex, but I prefer the [name_m]Arrow[/name_m] spelling for a girl & the Aero spelling for a boy. The “bow & arrow” association doesn’t bother us one bit 'cause hunting is my hubby’s passion. I tend to think of the directional association with it though & even told my sister that I would give it a meaning of “God’s guiding direction”. [name_m]Little[/name_m] did I know though that my little [name_m]Arrow[/name_m] would be so dang fast. SWIFT like an arrow actually! I’m not kidding, everything she does is SWIFT! And despite the nay-sayers over in the girl name forum, not one person has turned their nose up to her name. My mom was against it in the beginning & said she’d have to “call her something else if it is a girl”. Well, even my mother has come around & has ALWAYS called her by her first name. :slight_smile:

Good luck to those considering [name_m]Arrow[/name_m] for a first name! :slight_smile:

I only know a girl [name_m]Arrow[/name_m], who is almost 2yrs. I like the PP suggestion of Aero for a boy. You asked if it was hipster? To me, it screams hipster. Maybe that’s because the little girl I know is definitely part of a hipster family. You took a bit of a chance with [name_m]Abel[/name_m], being both related to [name_m]Cain[/name_m] and as an adjective, so I could totally see [name_m]Abel[/name_m] and Aero as siblings. If you don’t mind the matching initials. Totally useable. And not the worst thing to be hipster anyways.

[name_m]Arrow[/name_m] was on our list for DS1. I also know of a little boy with the name [name_m]Arrow[/name_m], he’s about 2 now. I loved the name, but for me when our DS was born he just didn’t suit it, was too whimsical for him. It does also have a very hipster vibe, which I don’t have a problem with. The little boy I know of named [name_m]Arrow[/name_m] (don’t know him very well) his mama is definitely a hipster and it works for them.

I don’t consider it hipster. And I am certainly NOT hipster! I could care less about the latest trend. LOL [name_f]IMO[/name_f], it’s a directional or hunting associated name. :slight_smile:

I love all these opinions, thanks! I prefer [name_m]Arrow[/name_m] to Aero because I actually like that it’s a noun name. I like the imagery of straight and swift that you get when hearing the word/name [name_m]Arrow[/name_m]. I agree that it’s hipster (I also don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing) - my husband and I aren’t hipster, even though I am a professional artist and he wears bow ties… that he made by hand(!!) and we drive a Subaru… HA! Thanks again! Not pregnant but TTC#2 so we’ll see what I feel like when I am actually pregnant with another boy.

[name_m]Able[/name_m] & [name_m]Arrow[/name_m].

They work very well together. [name_m]Arrow[/name_m] is unexpected but still subtle in a way. It’s not in your face macho like [name_m]Rowdy[/name_m] or [name_m]Duke[/name_m]; it’s a strong name and it has a steadfast feel about it. I like it a lot.

I too adore [name_m]Arrow[/name_m], and have actually placed it with my #1 recently ([name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Arrow[/name_m]) but I’m still not entirely sure about it. I’m not sure how I feel about the idea of the kid being ‘branded’ for life with the symbol, you know? I do kind of like that idea, but at the same time, I don’t. As a middle, that wouldn’t be such a big deal, but as a first, it may be. Something worth thinking on I suppose.

I love that [name_m]Arrow[/name_m] works to honor me in a super subtle way (being that my star-sign is Sagittarius) and also the idea that an arrow can only be shot by pulling it backwards, and that ‘darkness before the dawn’ kind of metaphor.

I stumbled upon this name and fell in love with it too! Definitely a boy name to me and I feel like it’s 100% useable! The Bible reference is lovely. I say go for it and use it for the first name! It’s unique, but no one will mispronounce it or misspell it.

I really like [name_m]Arrow[/name_m]. It used to be on my list for the very same reason. I’ve liked [name_f]Olive[/name_f] for similar reasons (in ref. to the verse about having children around your table like olive plants :wink: ).