Aryeh

What do you think of [name_m]Aryeh[/name_m]? Hebrew boy name meaning lion, pronounced ah-ree-yay or ah-ree-yeh. Often nicknamed [name_u]Ari[/name_u].

I like it a lot, it is used but not overused in my Jewish community, but I’m not sure how it will sound in secular contexts. I’m asking because when I’ve seen it discussed on message boards, people seem to really dislike it… [name_u]Will[/name_u] it be a problem in the workplace? I don’t mind unusual names or correcting spelling, I do that myself and it’s not the end of the world, I just want to know if people think it will cause significant issues for a child.

It sounds unpleasant to me and I would never guess how to say it, but it depends on the context.

I like it! I do personally prefer the spelling [name_m]Arieh[/name_m], which I also think might seem more familiar in secular contexts due to its similarity to other [name_u]Ari[/name_u]- names.

I don’t think it will cause significant issues any way you spell it, though! Aryeh/Arieh is cool and handsome, and I love the meaning. Plus if for some reason there were problems (I wouldn’t expect there to be, though!) he could go by [name_u]Ari[/name_u].

I like it! Looks like it’s spelled quite phonetically, plus it’s similar enough to [name_u]Arya[/name_u] to be able to sound out. A lovely name!!

[name_m]Aryeh[/name_m] has a cool, earthy sound, with a nice meaning

I think it would be mispronounced quite frequently outside of Jewish circles. Words ending in -eh are not very common in [name_f]English[/name_f] so most people wouldn’t know how to approach it. It’s also very close to [name_u]Aria[/name_u], a popular feminine name at the moment. Those things may not be a reason to not use it, but definitely something to keep in mind.

It reminds me of [name_m]Aryan[/name_m], which is unpleasant.

I think it’s perfectly usable. Non-European “ethnic” names seem to get very negative reactions on message boards.