Asa

I need some reassurance. I’m beginning to have naming regrets! My 8 month old is [name_u]Asa[/name_u] [name_m]Edwin[/name_m]. We chose [name_u]Asa[/name_u] because we loved it, loved the nn [name_m]Ace[/name_m], and it sounded good with our older son’s name, [name_m]Enzo[/name_m]. Everything has been fine, aside from some people mispronouncing it… Until this week! He’s been sick and it seems all medical personnel assume my son is a girl!!! The doctor asked how “she” was doing. The phone nurse, on a different day, said that I should take “her” in so the doctor could check “her” ears!

Can you make me feel better about this please? I keep thinking that this must just happen to lots of people… All the Averys and Rileys… And I suppose he can just go by [name_m]Ace[/name_m]… Right? No big deal? Thanks for any wise words you can give me! :slight_smile:

My name is a [name_u]Jean[/name_u] and I am a girl. At my first visit, the doctor thought I was a boy until I was undressed. My mom was too embarrassed to correct him. [name_u]Asa[/name_u] is a great name. I think because it ends with an “a” some folks may assume that it is a girls’ name. But [name_m]Elijah[/name_m], [name_m]Isaiah[/name_m], [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] etc. also end with those sounds. You could point to that and say “It ends with an “A” sound, like [name_m]Elijah[/name_m].”

I love [name_u]Asa[/name_u] and would jump at the chance to use it on a son. As your son gets older it will probably become more apparent that he is a boy and that [name_u]Asa[/name_u] is a boy’s name. And slipping [name_m]Ace[/name_m] in there as a nn is a great way to remind folks. I can understand why you are questioning your decision, but as a baby who was “misidentified” myself, I haven’t had any issues since.

[name_u]Asa[/name_u] rocks. Hopefully he will be proud of such a cool name when he gets older!

Aww, bless your heart!!! Thank you! That was just the pep talk I needed! :slight_smile:

I think [name_u]Asa[/name_u] is a very handsome name. I’ve never thought of it as anything but masculine.

I suppose some people who have never heard of it before could mistake it for a girls name, but that’s really not your problem.

I babysit for a little girl named [name_u]Ryan[/name_u], and despite the confusion it can cause on paper, she loves her name and wears it wonderfully.

The young actor [name_u]Asa[/name_u] Butterfield might also help clear up some confusion as he becomes better known.

I love [name_u]Asa[/name_u], it’s handsome and I would consider using it for a boy and only a boy!

I think ultimately it won’t matter. [name_u]Asa[/name_u] is such a handsome name, your combo is lovely, and it works beautifully with [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] - all great things. Maybe think about those good aspects rather than the negative ones? Besides, one has to remember that people aren’t meaning it negatively - it’s just a mistake. :slight_smile: So don’t be too hard on yourself! [name_u]Asa[/name_u] is fairly masculine name imo, I think people immediately assume names with “a” endings are feminine, but that’s just a silly mistake.

So, remember what a fantastic name it is rather than the mistakes. People around you will start to catch on eventually, and as for strangers…well, there are a lot of people who get their gender confused because of their name, like the [name_u]Jean[/name_u] above. But it isn’t necessarily a negative thing; it’s just people have automatic assumptions without thinking. So no biggie.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] that helps at least a little!

Thank you all so much! You really have made me feel tons better about my baby boy’s name. You’ve reminded me of all the reasons why I love it. I know he’ll love it too! :slight_smile:

[name_m]Just[/name_m] another co-sign with other people here. If you’re up for it, just politely educate those who aren’t yet familiar with the name, which has a long male history. There will be some more people like that, but it certainly won’t be everyone. Solid name that you love - you’ve done well!