Ashlan

What do you think of [name]Ashlan[/name]?

I came across it and find it kind of pretty and unique. Does it have a “history”?

When I saw “[name]Ashlan[/name],” (I didn’t see who posted it) my first thought was, “Oh no. Not another invented name!” It reminds me of the trendy [name]Ashlyn[/name]/[name]Ashlynn[/name], which is from the Irish [name]Aislinn[/name]. I know of many cities named Ashland, so I want to add a D. I’m sorry :frowning:

Bummer that’s what I was afraid of. I kind of thought there might be a chance that it had roots in india or something cool that I was unaware of.

[name]Do[/name] you have any more new names? :slight_smile:

I am more trying to think of things that could go with [name]Charlie[/name]… If I can have a boy and girl sib name that I feel good about using with [name]Charles[/name]/[name]Charlie[/name] then I will feel even better about it!

I just have to wait now to find out if this one is a boy or girl (or both!)

[name]Charlie[/name] and [name]Alden[/name] (but for a girl, I knew a girl in HS named [name]Alden[/name], I didn’t know its a boys name, do you hate it for a girl?)

[name]Charlie[/name] and [name]Elliott[/name] for a boy if I can get DH to like it for a boy, not just a girl.

[name]Charlie[/name] and [name]Claire[/name]

[name]Luke[/name] and [name]Charlie[/name]

[name]Rhett[/name] and [name]Charlie[/name]

As for the two -ee names, I still haven’t given up on
[name]Remy[/name] and [name]Charlie[/name] or
[name]Alexandra[/name] nn [name]Andie[/name] and [name]Charlie[/name].

Waiting game now!

The first thing I thought of when I saw [name]Ashlan[/name] was the lion Aslan in “The Chronicles of [name]Narnia[/name]”. Personally I love the character Aslan, but it would be a lot to live up to.

[name]Alden[/name]. Hmm…I like it better than [name]Ashlan[/name], but it’s a boys’ name to me. That said, this is YOUR baby, and you need to pick a name you like.

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Charlie[/name] (short for [name]Charles[/name]) and [name]Everett[/name], [name]Elliott[/name], and [name]Claire[/name]. I think [name]Charles[/name] and [name]Alexandra[/name] is cute, too.

[name]Alden[/name] reminds me of [name]Eden[/name], which I think you like. I think [name]Charlie[/name] and [name]Eden[/name]/[name]Edie[/name] is really cute, and for some reason, [name]Dale[/name] is in my head now, too!

If you like [name]Ashlan[/name], what about [name]Ashby[/name]? (It’s close to [name]Ashley[/name], too, but I just wanted to throw it out there…)

Thanks [name]Jill[/name]. No rush but I can’t help but keep thinking!

I forgot to say that I like [name]Remy[/name] and [name]Charles[/name], too, and love Remielle. (And if you like [name]Remi[/name], you should totally stick with that spelling!) :slight_smile:

Thanks jill. I just might.

:slight_smile:

So just for fun I googled [name]Ashlan[/name]. It says that it it a variation of [name]Ashley[/name] like Ashford and [name]Ashby[/name], and also a rare surname, meaning ash tree meadow. Primarily used for girls, it is also seen used for boys.

Nameberry sites the Irish meaning (and [name]Ashlyn[/name]), too. [name]Ashley[/name] is really trendy, and any “[name]Ash[/name]” name (especially a surname) immediately makes me think of it. I believe that when a name isn’t well known (even if it’s legitimate), but sounds very much like the original overused/trendy/dated name ([name]Ashley[/name]), it feels like someone is trying hard to be unique or creative by adding more letters to the original.

Additionally, the “lyn” ending, whether it is spelled lyn, lynn, or lan, is really trendy, lumping the name with other trendy names like [name]Kailyn[/name], [name]Jailyn[/name], [name]Rylan[/name], [name]Dylan[/name], [name]Caitlin[/name]/[name]Katelyn[/name]/[name]Kaitlynn[/name], [name]Braelyn[/name], etc.

So, with [name]Ashlan[/name], you have the trendy [name]Ash[/name] beginning, plus the trendy lan ending (lan may as well be lyn, because it sounds the same), giving you a double whammy.

That’s just my take on things! :slight_smile:

I have seen [name]Ashlan[/name] as a street name, so that’s the first thing I think of. It does have an appealing sound but it’s likely to cause a lot of confusion with Ashland, which is more common. You have some great names on your list, though.