Astrid or Aurora?

Having a hard time choosing!

Baby girl is due [name_u]November[/name_u] and will have the middle name [name_f]Deborah[/name_f] after both mine and other half’s Mum’s.

My issue with [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] is that someone pointed out it ends in D and her middle name starts with D and also thinking of nicknames that aren’t Ass!!

We like [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] as we can shorten to [name_u]Rory[/name_u] or [name_u]Ari[/name_u] but think it’s more common than [name_f]Astrid[/name_f].

What do you guys think?

1 Like

congratulations and welcome!! Both are beautiful names with gorgeous meanings so I can see why it’s a difficult decision :blush:

Aurora is beautiful and the nickname [name_u]Rory[/name_u] really helps to sell it for me and gives it a ‘cool’ and ‘sparky’ feel. However, in my opinion [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Deborah[/name_f] is a little too rhymy and heavy on the ‘R’ sound. Saying this you probably won’t introduce her with her first and middle name very often. I also find [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] is very tied to the disney princess in my mind (which isn’t a negative association but could be something that bothers you).

Astrid is absolutely stunning and definitely way less popular than [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]. The double ‘D’ sound isn’t too off putting for me but if it annoys you, have you considered adding a second middle before [name_f]Deborah[/name_f] to balance the sound.

Nicknames for [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] could be [name_f]Star[/name_f], [name_f]Astra[/name_f], or [name_u]Asa[/name_u] ?

Have you considered [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]? It has a similar feel to both of these names and means ‘the golden one’ which is beautiful.

Personally, I would go for [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] because it has a fresher feel to me. However, they are both beautiful and you can’t really go wrong with either!!

Good [name_m]Luck[/name_m], hope this helps :))

6 Likes

Aurora [name_f]Deborah[/name_f] has a lot of “r” sounds. And the Disney association is kind of off-putting for me - unless you like that sort of thing. I prefer [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]

2 Likes

Hmmm…I don’t think either one flows very well with the middle name Deborah, tbh.

Would you consider just Rory Deborah? It’s less common than Aurora and has the frills-free vibe of Astrid.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry too much about how the first and middle names flow together—she’ll probably say/hear her first and last name more often. That said, I actually think [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] [name_f]Deborah[/name_f] sounds better than [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Deborah[/name_f].

I personally prefer [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] because I can’t get past the first syllable of [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]; however, I don’t think [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] is unusable! [name_f]Star[/name_f] was a great suggestion for a nickname. [name_f]Addie[/name_f] could work too, I think.

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], even if it’s not ideal with the middle name.

1 Like

If you’re struggling with middle name flow, and you like more unusual names, maybe consider just using [name_f]Bee[/name_f] in the middle since [name_f]Deborah[/name_f] means honeybee? [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] [name_f]Bee[/name_f] and [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Bee[/name_f] are both adorable!

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Astrid[/name_f], and while I would agree that the “-d D-” sequence isn’t ideal, I also don’t think that’s a huge deal, especially when [name_f]Deborah[/name_f] is such an important honour name for you. PPs have mentioned a couple of viable nickname options, and then there are also nicknames that aren’t related to the name itself (like [name_u]Blue[/name_u] for a child with blue eyes, for example).

I like [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] fine as well, and I really like [name_u]Rory[/name_u] as its nickname. I think you’re right that it’s more popular than [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]. I wouldn’t let the “r” repetition stop you from using it with [name_f]Deborah[/name_f] - I agree that it’s maybe not ideal, but in my experience most people don’t use their middle names all that often anyway, so it wouldn’t stick out very much.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]! [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] [name_f]Deborah[/name_f] sounds fine :slight_smile:

Astrid could have the nicknames [name_f]Astra[/name_f], [name_u]Asa[/name_u], [name_u]Ari[/name_u] or [name_f]Addy[/name_f]

1 Like

Another alternative to [name_f]Deborah[/name_f] is [name_f]Melissa[/name_f]. It means honeybee.
[name_f]Astrid[/name_f] [name_f]Melissa[/name_f] or [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Melissa[/name_f]

I like [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] [name_f]Melissa[/name_f]

1 Like

I think [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] [name_f]Deborah[/name_f] could work.

In general I prefer the name [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], and I’ve met more Astrids than Auroras. But I think the others are right [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Deborah[/name_f] is a bit heavy on the [name_f]Ora[/name_f] front.

But if that’s what you’re going for have you considered names like [name_f]Eliora[/name_f] (meaning the [name_m]Lord[/name_m] is my light) or the literary Stiorra/Steorra (meaning [name_f]Star[/name_f] from Anglo-[name_u]Saxon[/name_u]) that combines both [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] and [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] in some ways.

I liked another user’s suggestion if Aurélia, that’s a beautiful name.

Alternatively other star names…
[name_f]Aster[/name_f]/Astra
[name_f]Este[/name_f]

1 Like

Of the two I like [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]. :blush: I wouldn’t worry about flow with an honor name. It’s the meaning that matters most.

1 Like

I love the name [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]! It’s my favorite name for a girl.
With [name_f]Deborah[/name_f] as a middle, I think I would go with [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]. [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] [name_f]Deborah[/name_f] is a very unique, powerful and mysterious name. [name_m]Tri[/name_m], [name_u]Tris[/name_u], Tria, [name_u]Asa[/name_u], [name_u]Ari[/name_u] and Riri are some nickname you can use.

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Aurora[/name_f].

1 Like

Aurora is kind of hard to say, and it also rhymes with [name_f]Deborah[/name_f]. Gonna go with [name_f]Astrid[/name_f].

1 Like

I like [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] best and I agree it goes with [name_f]Deborah[/name_f] just fine. However, that first syllable is what keeps [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] off my own short list, so I can’t really honestly tell you to go for it. I think it’s a gorgeous name with a beautiful meaning, but I wouldn’t use it because the world in general/ Kindergarten boys suck :frowning:

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Deborah[/name_f] flows nicely.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]! So sleek and cool. I find [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] to be quite a mouthful and it’s a bit too frilly for my personal taste.

1 Like

I definitely prefer [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]!

1 Like

Aurora [name_f]Deborah[/name_f] is a bit harsh for my taste. Too many consonants and rough transactions. Also, when written it just looks like a great grandma’s name was combined with mom’s name. I actually like [name_f]Deborah[/name_f]/Debra as a MN. And it works really well with [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]. Also, [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] has a very modern yet classy vibe and flows very well with the rarely used [name_f]Deborah[/name_f]. [name_f]Astri[/name_f] can work as a cute nn.

1 Like