Astronomical names

We’ve been considering these “astronomical” names for [name_m]Leonid[/name_m]’s twin brother, and I’d like to hear your opinion on these. Some of you will probably know about the [name_m]Leonid[/name_m] meteor shower, and it would be a nice but subtle way to tie their names together.
I swear this is the last thread I’m creating about this. If I could I’d send you all a gift after they’re born to thank you for your help and patience :sweat_smile:

• Astrophel: I think it’s very charming, but is it wearable?
  • Endymion: I adore it, but again… too much?
  • Antares: same question as the other two
  • Castor: like the meaning and that he’s the twin brother of [name_m]Pollux[/name_m], but I can’t stand the likely nickname [name_m]Cas[/name_m].
  • Archimedes: doesn’t feel very wearable again, and [name_m]Archie[/name_m] is not nickname that would work where I live
  • Nikomedes: not astronomical, but I would still like your opinion :wink:
3 Likes

They aren’t the names you hear every day, but they aren’t unwearable. [name_f]My[/name_f] favourites are [name_m]Astrophel[/name_m], [name_m]Archimedes[/name_m] and Nikomedes (especially this one :heart_eyes:)

1 Like

Astrophel - Definitely “out-there” but I say it’s wearable! Although, I consider most names (to a certain extent, of course) wearable.
[name_m]Endymion[/name_m] - I’ve been seeing this name HEAPS lately. I personally don’t love it but I don’t think its crazy.
[name_u]Antares[/name_u] - Same as [name_m]Astrophel[/name_m]!
[name_m]Castor[/name_m] - I just think of caster sugar, I’m sorry!! I see this a lot and I just can’t get past it haha!
[name_m]Archimedes[/name_m] - I agree, it doesn’t feel very wearable, especially if the nickname [name_m]Archie[/name_m] isn’t an option. :frowning:
[name_m]Nikomedes[/name_m] - [name_f]Lovely[/name_f]! Very “Rosebeth” :slight_smile:

1 Like

i don’t think any of them are ‘too much’ they all fit in well with your style and as long as the siblings names all feel the same level of uniqueness then I think it’s lovely. If you had [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_m]Archimedes[/name_m] then i’d probably say it was too much but [name_m]Leonid[/name_m] is so effortlessly cool.

I really love [name_m]Leonid[/name_m] and [name_m]Castor[/name_m], [name_m]Leonid[/name_m] and [name_u]Antares[/name_u] and [name_m]Leonid[/name_m] and [name_m]Endymion[/name_m] (I like how these share the strong ‘d’ sound)!

1 Like

I didn’t even know what caster sugar was, I had to look it up :sweat_smile: I can understand the association is very strong for you, but over here that won’t be a problem :slightly_smiling_face:

So many gorgeous names!
I genuinely love all of them. The only one I wouldn’t use is [name_m]Archimedes[/name_m] since it’s a lot without a nickname.
[name_m]Astrophel[/name_m], [name_m]Endymion[/name_m], [name_m]Castor[/name_m] and [name_m]Nikomedes[/name_m] are all handsome!
If I had to pick two, they’d be [name_m]Endymion[/name_m] and [name_m]Nikomedes[/name_m] though. [name_m]Astrophel[/name_m] doesn’t come with any obvious nicknames. I think [name_m]Castor[/name_m] is so gorgeous and underused, but he’d definitely get called [name_m]Cas[/name_m] sometimes, and if that bothers you a lot I wouldn’t do it.
[name_m]Nikomedes[/name_m] is interesting like your other sons’ names but accessible because of the nickname [name_u]Niko[/name_u]. [name_m]Endymion[/name_m] has a great sound, that’s unique but not completely unfamiliar. [name_m]Ender[/name_m] could be a fun nickname if you’re into that!

1 Like

My favorite by far of these is [name_m]Castor[/name_m]! Such a great name.

1 Like

All of them are such cool choices! I’m still a fan of [name_m]Leonid[/name_m] & [name_m]Castor[/name_m] and I think it’s short enough that you could avoid the nn [name_m]Cas[/name_m]. [name_f]My[/name_f] second choice would be [name_m]Nikomedes[/name_m]. The familiar ‘[name_u]Nik[/name_u]’ makes it feel a little more wearable than some of the others and I think [name_m]Leonid[/name_m] & [name_m]Nikomedes[/name_m] sound great together.

1 Like

Astrophel - interesting but a little much

Endymion is stunning. I think it flows well and it usable. It has usable nicknames -[name_m]Eddie[/name_m], [name_m]Ender[/name_m], [name_u]Teddy[/name_u], [name_u]Dean[/name_u] etc

Antares - quite nice but it doesnt flow easily to me

Castor -quite lovely but if you hate [name_m]Cas[/name_m], I’ve avoid it

Archimedes is bold and interesting

Nikomedes is probably thr most wearable out of the set. It’s bold but familiar

1 Like

Really! That’s interesting. I assumed it was a universal thing. Maybe it’s a kiwi word?

1 Like

we have [name_m]Caster[/name_m] sugar too :)) Although I’d pronounce it pretty differently to castor in my accent :blush:

I suppose it is universal, it’s probably just because [name_f]English[/name_f] isn’t my first language and I didn’t know the word. I know what it is now I’ve seen the translation :slightly_smiling_face:

[name_m]Leonid[/name_m] is such a handsome name! I agree that [name_m]Leonid[/name_m] and [name_m]Endymion[/name_m] sound the best together, but [name_m]Nikomedes[/name_m] is my favourite. It’s strong and has lots of great nicknames ([name_u]Nik[/name_u], [name_u]Niko[/name_u], even [name_f]Koko[/name_f] :joy:). I also feel as though [name_m]Nikomedes[/name_m] is the most pronouncable/familiar, but I get that it’s ideal because it’s not tied to astronomy. I’d go with Endymion if it’s really important to you! [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helped!

1 Like

I really like [name_m]Castor[/name_m] and [name_m]Nikomedes[/name_m]

1 Like

I really like the idea of [name_m]Castor[/name_m] but in my mind it’s just a little too… Oily ([name_m]Castor[/name_m] oil)
If that’s not a problem I think it’s a really nice name. [name_m]Cas[/name_m] most likely is inevitable though, but that doesn’t mean he has to go by it. You can always stay firm that it is [name_m]Castor[/name_m], not [name_m]Cas[/name_m].

I like [name_m]Leonid[/name_m] and [name_u]Antares[/name_u] together, I think [name_u]Antares[/name_u] is definitely brave but not unusable. I also think [name_m]Nikomedes[/name_m] is wonderful, but it’s most definitely going to be shortened to [name_u]Nick[/name_u] or [name_u]Niko[/name_u] at some point.

I came across caster sugar for the first time when I moved to the UK (as well as the term icing sugar rather than powdered sugar…) and remember staring at the shelf like ???.

I think [name_m]Castor[/name_m], [name_m]Endymion[/name_m], and [name_m]Nikomedes[/name_m] are the most wearable and go great with [name_m]Leonid[/name_m]! [name_m]Nikomedes[/name_m] is my favourite as well.

For a more wearable astronomical name and also bearing in mind you like Russian names, what about [name_m]Anatole[/name_m]/Anatoly?

1 Like

I like Nikomedes and Endymion the best. How about Orpheus? Not sure he was a constellation but it sounds sweet with Leonid.
There is also Orion. Lion and bear?
Oh and Helios meaning sun

Aanatoly is nice, but it sounds rather awkward in my SO’s accent :thinking: :smile:

1 Like

I don’t really like the sound of [name_u]Orion[/name_u].
I do love [name_m]Helios[/name_m], but SO thinks it’s a bit much… I adore [name_m]Orpheus[/name_m], but most people here on NB have said in the past that it sounds like orifice. It doesn’t in my language, so it’s not even relevant, but it still put me off the name a bit :neutral_face: