Athenais

I was looking for a girls’ name I love as much as [name_m]Astrophel[/name_m] and Robichaux for boys, and though I haven’t found one yet, I think [name_f]Athenais[/name_f] comes pretty close (as does Flordelis).

But I have a few questions about Athenais…

• First of all, how do you pronounce it? I’ve come across several pronunciations, but I can’t decide which one I like best. And bonus points for anyone who can give me the correct Greek pronunciation. But mostly I’m just curious how you say it.
  • What do you think of [name_f]Athenais[/name_f] in general? And specifically with my sons’ names?
  • What middle names would you pair it with (for me)?
1 Like

I pronounce it as either: Ah-thee-nas or Ah-thee-nays

It’s a very pretty unique name! You may have to correct people on the pronunciation but she would have no trouble not having to share a typical name with fellow class mates!

[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_f]Rosabelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]
[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_m]Isidore[/name_m]
[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_f]Daria[/name_f]
[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] Jesamae
[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_f]Maribelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] Saphina

1 Like

I say ah-teh-nah-ees. I believe that’s similar to the [name_u]French[/name_u] pronunciation.

[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] is really cool! I love how it has the strong and feminine feel of [name_f]Athena[/name_f], plus an unusual ending. [name_f]Imo[/name_f] it goes nicely with your boys’ names.

As for middles, what about [name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_f]Paloma[/name_f]? I like the balance of soft and hard sounds in this one.

2 Likes

I don’t really know how to pronounce it. I would guess Ath - then - eye - iss.

It’s an interesting twist on [name_f]Athena[/name_f] and it sounds like an old place name. I’m not quite sure how I feel about it but it gets points for novelty.

[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_u]Andrea[/name_u]
[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_u]Adley[/name_u]
[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_f]Asterope[/name_f]
[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_f]Lyra[/name_f]
[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] Ardfern
[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] Carraway
[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_u]Clove[/name_u]
[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_u]Fiore[/name_u]
[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_f]Maxima[/name_f]
[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_u]Halo[/name_u]
[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]

1 Like

I think it’s beautiful! I’d say “ah-theh-nah-iss” spelt like this, and “ah-teh-nah-ees” with the accents (Athénaïs).

I like it with your sons’ names! It’s long and ancient and majestic and storied, a good fit. [name_f]Flordelis[/name_f] would be great too for the same reasons.

Maybe [name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_f]Philomel[/name_f]? [name_f]Philomel[/name_f] and [name_m]Astrophel[/name_m] feel similar in terms of sound and vibe to me.

2 Likes

I automatically pronounce it like I would Anaïs…Ath-en-ah-ees

It’s beautiful :slight_smile: I think it fits with your boy names

1 Like

I remember hearing Athénaïs on a show (Versailles, I believe), as At-eh-NAH-eess. I like it, but tbh I can’t do it justice when I say it.

I think [name_f]Athenais[/name_f] is perfect with your sons’ names!

For middles maybe…
[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_f]Clio[/name_f]
[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_f]Olympe[/name_f]
[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_f]Elena[/name_f] (Eh-leh-nuh)
[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_f]Georgette[/name_f] (or another 2 syllable -ette name)
[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_f]Thalia[/name_f]

1 Like

ah-thee-nah-EES!
I think it’s a really beautiful name, despite the pronunciation issues. It’d work well with your boy names!
I’d go for a shorter and easy to pronounce middle to balance Athenais out.

3 Likes

@greentiger I have to correct people on the pronunciation of my sons’ names all the time, so I’m already used to it :wink: I really like [name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], thank you!

@ethelmary I’d been thinking about [name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_f]Paloma[/name_f], that is a lovely combo.

@Oblivious_octopus I love [name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_f]Asterope[/name_f] and [name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_u]Fiore[/name_u], thanks!

@katinka I hadn’t really thought about [name_f]Philomel[/name_f], but that’s a great suggestion! You always have such lovely ideas :slightly_smiling_face:

@Myosotis [name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_f]Olympe[/name_f] is gorgeous :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@tallemaja thank you! That’s the pronunciation we’d like to use. A shorter middle name would balance it out, but my twins’ names are rather long and “heavy” as well, I guess.

4 Likes

i’d pronounce it as Athen-ayes or Athen-AYE. Since Adelais is prn. ad-eh-LAY, i’d assume that the -ay sound applies to Athenais as well

I think it’s cute! it fits with your son’s names

i’m not sure what middle i’d pair with it. maybe Athenais Calliope?

1 Like

I’d pronounce it ah-thee-nar-ees? Not sure if that’s right

[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] is bold and interesting -I like it with your boys!!

[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_f]Celestine[/name_f]
[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_f]Embla[/name_f]
[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_f]Jemima[/name_f]
[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_f]Mirabelle[/name_f]

1 Like

I’m Greek and I believe the pronunciation is ah-teh-na-ees

Beautiful name

1 Like

[name_f]Athenais[/name_f] [name_f]Calliope[/name_f] is a good combo, but my SO doesn’t like [name_f]Calliope[/name_f], so I’m afraid that’s off the table :neutral_face:

Wow. Such a striking option.

I agree with [name_f]Katinka[/name_f]. I’d pronounce it as A-theh-nay-iss.