Atticus

So, I’ve loved the name [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] for a long time now and as a massive lover of books, it’s literary-ness appeals to me greatly. Not only do I love the look and the sound of the name but I’ve loved To Kill A Mockingbird ever since I first read it as a teenager.

Here are the issues:

• the representation of [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] as racist in her follow up book, Go [name_m]Set[/name_m] A Watchman

AND

• my daughter’s name starts with an A and I don’t like the idea of repeated initials.

I’d like to start trying for a second baby sometime in the next 6 months so I’ve been thinking about possible names a lot and this one ticks SO many boxes. But it also has certain issues I don’t know if I can get past…

What do you all think?

1 Like

I’ve never even heard of that second book, so I’m not sure how many people will know about that. Plus, [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] has gained quite a bit of popularity in recent years, so many people will likely think of it more as trendy rather than thinking of TKAM. I absolutely understand not wanting to repeat initials! But I also like to keep in mind that it’s not the end of the world if they do share initials. Would you regret never getting to use [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] if you go with something else? Another thing I like to keep in mind is the saying “two’s a coincidence, three’s a pattern.”

2 Likes

I refuse to accept “Go [name_m]Set[/name_m] A Watchman” as canon because I’m pretty sure they coerced [name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] in her old age into writing it, plus [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] [name_u]Finch[/name_u] would never be a racist, like have they read TKAM???

I can definitely understand not wanting to repeat an initial and if that matters more to you then using [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] here are some that have a similar vibe!

[name_u]Jasper[/name_u]
[name_m]Silas[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_u]Ezra[/name_u]
[name_u]August[/name_u]
[name_u]Milo[/name_u]

Some more literary ones
[name_u]Bennett[/name_u] (Pride & Prejudice)
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] ([name_f]Narnia[/name_f] Series)
[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] ([name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m])
[name_u]Darcy[/name_u] (Pride & Predjudice)
[name_m]Duncan[/name_m] ([name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m], Macbeth)
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m] ([name_f]Narnia[/name_f] Series)
[name_m]Magnus[/name_m] ([name_f]Matilda[/name_f]/Vampire Chronicles/Shadowhunters Series)
[name_m]Rufus[/name_m] ([name_u]George[/name_u] [name_u]Eliot[/name_u], “[name_m]Felix[/name_m] [name_m]Holt[/name_m]” [name_u]Novel[/name_u])

2 Likes

I read about the sequel and how she made [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] a racist and I decided not to read it. I know I can’t un-know that, but reading it would potentially sully TKMB for me.

If I truly wanted to use [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] I probably would not let that stop me. But it sounds like you are unsure over the same initials with your daughter too, so perhaps it’s good to consider some alternatives and not give up on Attitcus just yet but compare the options. I love the suggestions of @sophia_elena. I’d also add [name_m]Fitzwilliam[/name_m] as another possibility from Pride and Prejudice.

Other names that end in cus could be [name_m]Marcus[/name_m] and Theodericus (nn [name_u]Theo[/name_u]).

2 Likes

I do think of TKAM when I hear [name_m]Atticus[/name_m]. There are a bunch of issues with TKAM- of course it’s well written, but it’s true that it’s one of the only pieces of literature directly discussing racism that is taught in many US schools, and that the story is told by a white woman who hasn’t experienced racism herself. While it might be a great book, it’s also a bit of a white savior complex indulgence. Regardless of whether or not [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] being racist in the sequel was penned by [name_u]Lee[/name_u] or not, I would avoid using the name just to be sure.
The good news is that there are lots of other wonderful names, many of them literary inspired!

2 Likes

So the other novel, “Go [name_m]Set[/name_m] A Watchman” was released sloppily and under heavy criticism since it was first considered a sequel and then later deemed a prequel, casting high suspicion and leading to mounting questions over the legitimacy of its publication. [name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_u]Lee[/name_u], who was 89 at the time, might not have been in the right mind to authorize the publication and there remains great mystery over whether manipulation was at play.

As for the name [name_m]Atticus[/name_m], I like [name_m]Atticus[/name_m]. I used to love it. However, the name [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] was mocked in a show I watch called “[name_u]Orange[/name_u] is the [name_u]New[/name_u] [name_m]Black[/name_m]” as a name chosen by hipster parents in a obvious effort to not seem racist.

To be sure, [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] is a noble and handsome name, but I am just mentioning this so that you know what possible negatives could arise. Actually, I can totally picture the name aging well despite these concerns, so I hope this doesn’t come across as too discouraging! Although I can’t think of any nicknames.

Also, I don’t think [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] having a sister with a name that starts with an A is a problem necessarily! Depends on whether they flow.

Some other literary names you might consider:

[name_u]Bennett[/name_u] (P&P as mentioned above)
[name_u]Holden[/name_u] (Catcher in the Rhy)
[name_m]Rhett[/name_m] (Gone with the Wind — bigger racism concerns, but less inextricably tied to [name_m]Rhett[/name_m] [name_m]Butler[/name_m] than [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] is to [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] [name_u]Finch[/name_u])
[name_u]Jasper[/name_u] ([name_u]Anne[/name_u] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables)
[name_u]Dale[/name_u] (AOGG)
[name_m]Peter[/name_m] (“[name_m]Peter[/name_m] Rabbit” and “Chronicles of Narnia”)
[name_m]Christopher[/name_m] (“[name_f]Winnie[/name_f] the Pooh”)
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m] (I love the nn “[name_m]Alec[/name_m])
Colin (“Secret Garden”)

I have an [name_m]Atticus[/name_m]! He is 16 months now. I live in Australia now where TKAM is not necessarily part of every high school curriculum, so I actually had a lot of people in older generations not recognize the name at all (we got a lot of “[name_m]How[/name_m] is that pronounced?” eyeroll). However, the people who do recognize it do associate it with TKAM generally. I thought this would bother me as it’s not my favourite book or anything, we just like the name, but it’s been fine. We haven’t had a single person bring up Watchman. Most of the comments we get are along the lines of “Cool name!” Or “That’s… different.” Haha! But we love it. He goes by [name_f]Atty[/name_f] a majority of the time (we tried to make nickname [name_u]Kit[/name_u] a thing, but no one else latched on).

As for the A name thing, is your daughter’s name a different number of syllables? Different sounds? I don’t think two As are too match if it’s, say, [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] and [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] – but I would be inclined to say no to [name_u]Addison[/name_u] and [name_m]Atticus[/name_m].

7 Likes

Thank you for weighing in, it’s nice to hear from someone with an [name_m]Atticus[/name_m]! It’s such a great name, I just adore both the sound and the look of it, and even though the book enhances it for me, I’d still love it without it.

My daughter’s name is [name_f]Amelie[/name_f], so same number of syllables but not too similar (I don’t think). But it just bothers me…

I wish it didn’t!

I do recall hearing that about Go [name_m]Set[/name_m] A Watchman. I do wonder whether she intended for this version of [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] to make its way into the world…

I don’t know how I don’t remember that comment from OITNB! I totally get it but for me there’s no message built into my potential usage of the name - I just love the sound and look and, being such a lover of books, I like that there’s an iconic literary character with the name.

I’d hate to have anyone think about it that way though… that we’re hipsters trying to show we’re not racist :thinking:

Thank you for your suggestions. [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] is one of my favourite names!

1 Like

I agree, it does seem odd!

The names on your first list definitely have the same vibe: all but [name_m]Silas[/name_m] and [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] are in my top 10-15 names (and I like [name_m]Silas[/name_m] and [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] too)!

I also love [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], [name_u]Darcy[/name_u], [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] and [name_m]Rufus[/name_m]!

1 Like

I do think almost everyone knows about Go [name_m]Set[/name_m] a Watchman, but agree most people don’t accept it as canon for all the reasons listed above. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if it was though, I don’t think of [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] as a one person name. I’ve heard of a few in the first and mn position over the last few years. It’s a great name and a great sound! Go for it!

2 Likes

That’s true, and we only intend to have two kids, but it still bothers me unfortunately. But you’re right, it’s certainly not the end of the world…

I don’t think I’d be forever upset if I didn’t use Atticus, especially because there are so many boys’ names I love. It just felt like such a good option though because my partner, who’s extremely picky, quite likes it. But anyway, there are others he likes too so really, with boys’ names we’re not too limited.

1 Like

Thanks! I hasn’t thought that not everyone would associate it with the novel/character as it gets used more and more, but I suppose it makes sense as it gets used more widely. Anyway, it’s a name I’ll keep in the bank for sure for any possible baby boy :blush:

1 Like

[name_m]How[/name_m] about:

[name_m]Caius[/name_m]
[name_m]Cassian[/name_m] (I like the [name_u]Cass[/name_u]-i-an pronunciation)
[name_m]Maximilian[/name_m]
[name_u]Thaddeus[/name_u]
[name_m]Silas[/name_m]
[name_m]Emilio[/name_m]

Edited to add: Oscar! Has some of the same sounds.

Starts with an A, but otherwise have a similar vibe to [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] and don’t sound to similar to [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] (I love that name by the way!):
[name_m]Augustus[/name_m]
[name_m]Aurelius[/name_m]
[name_m]Amias[/name_m] (maybe too close to Amelie?)

1 Like

I like [name_m]Atticus[/name_m]. I personally don’t think the initials thing is a big deal. I’ve never read Go [name_m]Set[/name_m] a Watchman, and I think a lot of people, especially those who rarely or never read fiction, would probably have never heard of it. From what I can remember, the book was poorly received and there were questions about its legitimacy due to [name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_u]Lee[/name_u]’s advanced age. Plus, [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] is an ancient Greek name, not an invention of [name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_u]Lee[/name_u]. If [name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] had invented the name, I would be more hesitant to recommend it.

1 Like

I like [name_m]Atticus[/name_m]!! Although it does have it’s connections with TKAMB and the controversies behind the character. I think it’s well established enough as a name for that not to be my instant thought. Besides, it’s not as if [name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] invented the name [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] as [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] did for many of his characters.

1 Like

I’ve heard of the second book, but I’ve never read it. I’m going to guess the majority of people that read To Kill a Mockingbird didn’t read the sequel (mainly bc they weren’t forced to read it in school like they were the previous one). I haven’t read TKAM in a long time, but if I remember correctly, [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] wasn’t racist so most people are going to think that. Plus, I agree with previous people, [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] is very popular right now, so I don’t think people are going to think of the name being racist just trendy. All in all, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Since you don’t want repeated initials, perhaps you could use a nickname for [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] like [name_u]Kit[/name_u]? Maybe you could use Finch (possible nickname Fin) as a nod to Atticus Finch and the book?

Other literary names:
[name_m]Bram[/name_m]
[name_u]Corin[/name_u]
[name_m]Edward[/name_m]
[name_m]Fitzwilliam[/name_m]
[name_u]Jay[/name_u]
[name_m]Gulliver[/name_m]
[name_u]Holden[/name_u]
[name_m]Rhett[/name_m]
[name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]
[name_u]Finn[/name_u]
[name_u]Austen[/name_u]
[name_m]Benedick[/name_m]
[name_m]Malcolm[/name_m]
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree with the fact that people may not know much about Go [name_m]Set[/name_m] A Watchman, but I have [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] on my shortlist for future children and the connotations shouldn’t stop you from choosing it if you truly love it! In terms of repeated initials how about [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] as a middle name?

1 Like