Audrey vs. Aubrey

We decided on [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] as our girl name for this #3 baby (not yet conceived).

[name_f]Every[/name_f] time dh says the name though, he says, “[name_u]Aubrey[/name_u]” and I have to correct him. I’m not sure if he prefers [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] or just doesn’t realize there’s a difference, or…?

I feel that [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] is more trendy and less of a classic than [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], though, I do love that [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] can be shortened to [name_f]Bree[/name_f] - which was actually very high on our list of girl names when brainstorming for child #2. [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] doesn’t have any obvious nn. Our other kids don’t have built in nick names, though we call [name_f]Isla[/name_f] “I” and [name_m]Grant[/name_m] “Granters” a lot. I can see us calling [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] “[name_f]Bree[/name_f]” or even “Aub/Aubs”, but you can’t really call [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] “Odd” or “[name_f]Dree[/name_f]”.

[name_f]One[/name_f] other little glitch with [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] is that it’s the name of an aunt, who I loved, but actually ended up divorced to my uncle and I haven’t heard from her in years. When I mentioned the name to my mom she was not terribly impressed that we used the ex-aunt as a name sake. I don’t think it would be a deal breaker entirely, but just want to make sure we’re making the right call :slight_smile:

Thoughts?

Well [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] & [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] are very similar to me. Their differences that you point out : [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] is more of a classic, it has the namesake of [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] Hepburn and you can call her [name_m]Rey[/name_m] / Raey, [name_u]Ari[/name_u],[name_f]Addie[/name_f] etc. [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] is a cute name also although this seems more trendy & modern than [name_f]Audrey[/name_f]. I also like the nn Aubs & [name_f]Bree[/name_f].
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is a gorgeous classic combo. But I think that if your husbandmistake it for [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] and you like the nn [name_f]Bree[/name_f] simply choose that. I think with either way you can honor your aunt.

Good luck :slight_smile:

I don’t actually want to honor that ex-aunt (she was my favorite when I was little, but it’s really nor about her, just about my like for the name)

thanks for the input!

Sorry about that. I misunderstood it.

no problem, just wanted to clarify:)

Not a big fan of either name, but [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] is better. Perhaps [name_f]Adrianna[/name_f] ([name_f]Addy[/name_f])?

I prefer [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] as I think the name is more classic and old Hollywood due to the [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] Hepburn association.
However, due to it being the name of your ex-aunt and the fact that your husband is ‘subconsciously’ (or purposely) calling her the B version of the name… I would just throw in the towel and go with [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u].
They’re both similar enough names for me and [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] is a name with history behind it as well, though more a a male name.

I really love [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], but I like [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] as well. I would ask your husband if he would prefer [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] and go from there.

eh, [name_f]Addy[/name_f] is so overdone. Plus I feel like names ending in anna are too frilly.

we could always call her [name_u]Audie[/name_u] - like [name_u]Audie[/name_u] Cornish from NPR…or…wait, isn’t that the name of a car company, [name_f]Audi[/name_f]?

I love [name_f]Audrey[/name_f]! I strongly dislike [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] on a girl–I’ve never seen the appeal, even before I learned it was a unisex name and I started liking it for a boy. [name_f]Audrey[/name_f]'s just so classic, and regal, and timeless… it’s just got this je ne sais quoi about it, and I love it very much! I like [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] with [name_f]Isla[/name_f] and [name_m]Grant[/name_m] much more than [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u]! (Then again, I’ve never liked [name_f]Bree[/name_f], either!) I agree that [name_u]Ari[/name_u] or [name_f]Addie[/name_f] would be adorable nns for it, while being a bit less predictable than [name_f]Arianna[/name_f] or [name_u]Addison[/name_u].

I think it’s fine to use a family name without intending to honor them. It’s a bit hard for everyone else to see it that way, probably, though. I [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] the name [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] but wouldn’t want to have people thinking I was honoring him, so I keep it in the MN spot. But if you haven’t talked to your aunt in forever and you just really love the name, I think it’s fine. [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is beautiful, and I love [name_f]Isla[/name_f], [name_m]Grant[/name_m], and [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] together!

I completely agree with @ashthedreamer.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] wanted to add–I don’t feel like [name_f]Aud[/name_f] is that bad. I remember reading a novel once set in [name_m]Britain[/name_m] in the 1800s, and there were these three children–[name_f]Audrey[/name_f], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m], and [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]–that were fairly central to the story. [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] was just a baby, but [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] called [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] “[name_f]Aud[/name_f]” all the time, and I thought it was pretty cute. :slight_smile: I think [name_u]Audie[/name_u] is cute, too (I know an [name_f]Autumn[/name_f] who goes by Auttie, which is pretty similar!). I believe the vehicle organisation is pronounced OW-dee, not AW-dee.

ah, gotcha.

I guess I should stop second guessing it. We had such a hard time coming up with a girl name for #2 (that luckily turned out to be a boy!) and this time we agreed on [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] right away so I keep wanting to rehash it I guess. Should just leave well enough alone:)

[name_f]Dee[/name_f] would also be a sweet nickname for an [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] (which I prefer, by the way - it’s so much more elegant than [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u], I think). Good luck - I love your children’s names!

I’ll chime in that I really like [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u]. I’ve known two Aubreys and they both really like their names. Although they are more my age so the name was much less trendy then.

[name_f]Audrey[/name_f] is a classic. Nn [name_f]Dree[/name_f] is super cute and modern. Who cares if it was the name of someone that was married to your uncle once.
[name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] on a girl is not my style at all. It is a boy’s name. [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] on a girl doesn’t sound very classy, to me.
I love [name_f]Bree[/name_f], but would go with a different name to get to it as a nn, or just use [name_f]Bree[/name_f].
If [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] is going to be difficult for your husband, you might want to think of something else.