August or Arden?

So I’m writing a story and the main character’s name is [name_m]Leo[/name_m]. I’m stuck naming the girl that he falls in love with. She has curly blonde hair and blue eyes; she likes adventure and I’m thinking of making her have bipolar disorder. I’ve narrowed it down to two names… [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_u]Arden[/name_u]. I keep going back and forth between these two and I have no idea which to pick. I’ve also toyed with the names [name_u]November[/name_u] and [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f].
Please help!

Where is she from and what is her family background? Any siblings?
Off of your description, I’d have to say [name_u]Arden[/name_u] (simply because [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_m]Leo[/name_m] are a bit too tied astrology-wise).

1 Like

[name_u]Arden[/name_u] would be my pick for [name_m]Leo[/name_m]'s girlfriend. [name_m]Leo[/name_m]'s of the Zodiac are born in [name_u]August[/name_u] (and late [name_f]July[/name_f]) so it’s a bit cheesy for a couple.

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t even realize that [name_m]Leo[/name_m] was [name_u]August[/name_u]'s Zodiac sign! [name_u]Arden[/name_u] it is!

I like [name_u]Arden[/name_u], but what about [name_f]Autumn[/name_f]?

Very few teens really have bipolar disorder. It usually doesn’t make a clinical appearance until around 17-23. Since it’s the current mental illness du jour, its clinical form is quite different from what the popular press would have one believe.

This is a great point. Often times illnesses or disorders are misdiagnosed under a larger, blanket term (like anxiety disorder) because it’s frankly easier. Other illnesses or disorders you could consider for the purposes of your writing (I imagine the largest vehicle her disorder will provide is strain on the relationship and fairly erratic behavior): Borderline Personality, Obsessive-Compulsive, Schizotypical, Histrionic Personality, Paranoid Personality, or Avoidant Personality.

Also, be very careful when writing characters with mental illnesses. [name_f]Remember[/name_f] that illness is not an antagonist in your story, and illness is not a stereotype. There are real people who are effected by these disorders and illnesses, and you must take care not to charicature or demonize these people. Make sure to do your research, especially first-person experiences.

1 Like

If I read [name_u]Arden[/name_u] and [name_m]Leo[/name_m] in a book I’d imagine they were both boys.

1 Like

I think that a more feminine name would work better than both [name_u]August[/name_u] or [name_u]Arden[/name_u]. I like the suggestion of [name_f]Autumn[/name_f], but what about [name_f]Adeline[/name_f], [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], [name_f]Aria[/name_f], [name_f]Arianwen[/name_f], [name_f]Arianna[/name_f], [name_f]Annabel[/name_f]/ [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f], or just [name_f]Anne[/name_f] or [name_f]Anna[/name_f]? They seem to work better with [name_m]Leo[/name_m], in my opinion. :wink:

1 Like

[name_u]November[/name_u]. But between [name_u]Arden[/name_u] and [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_u]August[/name_u].

Team [name_u]Arden[/name_u]