Auguste vs. August for unisex name?

I’m nonbinary and finally found a unisex name I really like - but I’m not sure which spelling I like more for myself. [name_u]Auguste[/name_u] is fun and more unique, and it stands out from [name_u]August[/name_u] as the month which I like. [name_u]August[/name_u], on the other hand, is more refined and seems like an easier choice because everyone knows how to spell it already. For me, [name_u]Auguste[/name_u] would be pronounced pretty much the same as [name_u]August[/name_u]. I love [name_u]Auguste[/name_u] but is there any point in choosing the -e ending? I worry that I’d get sick of explaining to people that there’s an e on the end, especially if it’s pretty much silent. What are your thoughts?

1 Like

I think [name_u]August[/name_u] would be the more straightforward spelling. [name_u]Auguste[/name_u] feels like it could be pronounced differently, similarly to [name_m]Augustin[/name_m] or something like that. But you do you, this is your name :grinning:

1 Like

I think [name_u]August[/name_u] would be easier – I might assume [name_u]Auguste[/name_u] was ‘aw-gust-eh’ or ‘aw-goost’. However, it really comes down to what you prefer. If you much prefer [name_u]Auguste[/name_u], it might be worth it to have occasional misspellings/mispronunciations.

1 Like

I think [name_u]August[/name_u] feels fairly unisex to me, since I do think of it as being a month. While I agree about liking the removal from the month with the [name_u]Auguste[/name_u] spelling, my initial reaction would be to pronounce it aw-goost, not aw-gust. If you prefer [name_u]Auguste[/name_u], then go for it, but I think you would have to be okay with correcting spelling and pronounciation

I also find that adding an e to preexisting names tend to make them seem a bit more feminine, so that may be something to keep in mind when looking for a gender-neutral name.

1 Like

I prefer [name_u]August[/name_u]! I would say [name_u]Auguste[/name_u] differently (aw-GOOST) and I like the way [name_u]August[/name_u] sounds more.

1 Like

Auguste is pronounced differently in both [name_u]French[/name_u] and [name_m]German[/name_m] (its 2 native languages) so it might get other pronunciations and misspelled as [name_u]August[/name_u]. I’d simply go with [name_u]August[/name_u], but if you like [name_u]Auguste[/name_u] more it’s not unusable!

although the e on the end is aesthetically immaculate, I would avoid it. this isn’t just for spelling reasons, but pronunciation as well. because [name_u]Auguste[/name_u] is the french version, I would instinctively pronounce it aw-GOOST, so it’s weird to think of it as just a funky spelling. however, if only [name_u]Auguste[/name_u] is singing to you, I think you have to pick it.

1 Like

When I read [name_u]Auguste[/name_u], without any further context, I would try to figure out if it’s the [name_u]French[/name_u] male name [name_u]Auguste[/name_u] or the [name_m]German[/name_m] female name [name_u]Auguste[/name_u]; I do feel like people might ask which of the two you intended or associate the -e at the end with trying to make [name_u]August[/name_u] more feminine (as with [name_u]Blaire[/name_u] vs [name_u]Blair[/name_u]).
[name_u]August[/name_u], even though I tend to think of it as a boys’ name, feels more unisex/fluid to me, at least in an [name_f]English[/name_f]-speaking setting.

thanks everyone! I agree that the -e ending could be a bit confusing so I decided to go with [name_u]August[/name_u]. Thanks for your input :slight_smile: now I have to decide on a middle name, hahaha

2 Likes

I would assume [name_u]Auguste[/name_u] to be pronounced in the [name_u]French[/name_u] way, so for that reason i’d just go with [name_u]August[/name_u]. It’s a great name!