Augustus?

What are opinions of [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] as a first name? My husband likes unique, interesting names, but I’m a little more traditional, particularly for boys. Any thoughts?

Probably would go with [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] [name_m]Eduardo[/name_m] as [name_m]Eduardo[/name_m] is a family name.

Other names on the table are [name_m]Connor[/name_m] and [name_m]William[/name_m].

Thanks!!

I love [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] [name_m]Eduardo[/name_m] is super handsome and cool! I love it!

I love most Auggie names (although [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_u]Auguste[/name_u] are my favorites!), but I have found it really hard to get behind [name_m]Augustus[/name_m], sorry! I can’t get [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] Waters out of my mind (not really a [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_u]Green[/name_u] fan, but I’ve never really given him a chance. I’m not sure I’d want to think of a character in a story unless I was a massive fan of either the character or the story, though), and it almost seems too pompous and great for a little kid (even a grown man) to bear. It seems like the name of a comic book hero or an emperor, not a second-grader or a businessman or a professional pianist or a lawyer or an electrician. For me, anyway. I love the nns Auggie, [name_u]Gus[/name_u], and [name_m]Gust[/name_m], though. [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] [name_m]Eduardo[/name_m] is really handsome, too. I wish I liked it, though, because I love [name_u]August[/name_u] names in general. :frowning:

Of all your options, though, I might like [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] best, simply because the one [name_m]Connor[/name_m] I grew up with completely ruined the name for me, and I can’t really see any appeal in it, and while I love [name_m]William[/name_m], I dislike most nns for it.

Good luck!

[name_m]Augustus[/name_m] [name_m]Eduardo[/name_m] is a great name. I really like it. And you’d have so many great nicknames to chose from.

[name_m]Connor[/name_m] and [name_m]William[/name_m] seem pretty common next to [name_m]Augustus[/name_m]. I really like [name_m]Augustus[/name_m]. It is strong and solid, different but not unheard of and has great nickname potential.

[name_m]Augustus[/name_m] is a wonderful name! I like it better than [name_m]Connor[/name_m], and equally as [name_m]William[/name_m]. I am not a fan of [name_m]Eduardo[/name_m], but in your case, I’d use it anyways because it is a family name.

Thanks everyone! I haven’t read the Fault in Our Stars (or seen the movie) so I only found out about that connection after researching the name a bit. Therefore, it doesn’t really bother me that there’s a link there. (Maybe I should avoid the book and movie so as not to be tainted??) :slight_smile:

I don’t know if it’ll make the final cut – I like [name_m]William[/name_m] just as [name_m]William[/name_m] (no nicknames, except maybe just [name_m]Will[/name_m]). I think [name_m]Connor[/name_m] is losing favor with both of us… We liked [name_m]Declan[/name_m] too, but we have a dog named [name_m]Duncan[/name_m] and [name_m]Declan[/name_m] is just too similar to [name_m]Duncan[/name_m] for us! :slight_smile: