Aurelia pronunciation and general thoughts?

[name_f]Love[/name_f] the name [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f], but I have heard so many different pronunciations of it!

I have heard:

Aw-ray-lee-ah or Aw-rayl-ya
Aw-rel (rhyming with well)-ya
Aw-reel (rhyming with eel)-ya

How do you pronounce it and what do you think of it generally? I’m sure there may be potentially even more pronunciations :blush: Would people saying it in different ways put you off using it? I find it so timeless and beautiful.

2 Likes

I pronounce it uh-REL-ee-uh. That and uh-RAY-lee-uh are the two most common I’ve heard. I like it, but they endless pronunciations would get to me, personally. However, if it were a favourite, I would likely overlook this :smiling_face:

4 Likes

I’ve always pronounced it incorrectly (or-el-ia) but that’s how I read it first and can’t get it out of my head. Similar to @futuremama, the multiple pronunciations are a bit confusing and all over the place, but if you love it that shouldn’t get in the way. It’s a pretty name!

1 Like

USA here and I say “Awe-rel-ee-uh”

2 Likes

I say or-RAY-lee-uh. I really like it, but the multiple pronunciations prevent it from being higher on my list.

2 Likes

Aw-ray-lee-uh for me.

1 Like

Same!

I’m not a fan of this name. It feels so cakey and frilly to me. (I’m not a fan of many 3+ syllable A-a names like [name_f]Ariana[/name_f], [name_f]Alyssa[/name_f], [name_f]Arabella[/name_f], [name_f]Alanna[/name_f], etc. either. The style just isn’t my cup of tea.) However, I do think it’s absolutely ripe with nickname potential and love that about it.

1 Like

I pronounce it ow-REH-lee-a (ow as in gown).

1 Like

My first instinct would be uh-RELL-ee-uh but wouldn’t be shocked by a different pronunciation, I do think it’s pretty and sort of regal sounding.

1 Like

Aw-ray-ee-uh is my favourite pronunciation - but I’ve met an aw-ree-lee-uh and an aw-rel-ee-uh too :person_facepalming: None would surprise me and I like them all, but the first is my preference and go to. I think it’s such a lovely golden name that the different pronunciations wouldn’t put me off

1 Like

I really love it to, and I named my daughter this nearly nine months ago, and honestly it’s been a nightmare. I think it’s because we are international, so in some places it’s not an issue but I loath the way the americans say it, and she has lots of american relatives. People say it all sorts of different ways, even the same people in the same conversation will change the pronunciation. it has been driving me crazy. People make up nicknames for her without asking because they feel incompetent to say her name correctly, which is also driving me crazy. Some one just called her AJ a few weeks ago, which is not the name I chose for my daughter. I am happy for you if you can use this name without any issues, but I really just had to give my true story.

1 Like

I personally pronounce it “or - EEL - ee - yuh”.
I like it when it’s pronounced in a way that has four syllables (so oh - RAY - lee - uh is also good), but not when it’s pronounced in a way with three syllables.

2 Likes

It never occurred to me that some people would say it was three syllables until after we named her and her father was one of them! Make sure your significant other ays the names out loud too!

1 Like

I only have heard it as or-REEL-ee-ah. I have only ever thought it was pronounced like that, so this is news to me.

[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] imo and based on how I know it pronounced looks and sounds very beautiful!! It does sound odd to me pronouncing it another way and I dont think I personally like it pronounced any other way than as I know it.

1 Like

I’d say Ah-rell-ee-ah. Name would fit the youngest sibling in my opnion.

1 Like

I think it’s a beautiful name! I would say the beginning as AH instead of AW. I would say ah-rae-lee-uh but I’ve never actually met anyone named this so I’ve never heard it said in person, only written.

1 Like

Thanks so much for telling me your own experience! I absolutely love it but I completely understand where you’re coming from. That must be very frustrating. And using AJ as a random nickname… I would not be impressed either!

uh-REE-lee-uh, rhyming with [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f].
I like it with this pronunciation but don’t care much for the others (in English).
I don’t think the different pronunciations would put me off, as it’s an easy correction.

1 Like

I always read it wrong so I say AR-el-ee-uh, if I really concentrate on reading it I would say Aw-rel-ee-uh

1 Like

are-EE-lee-ah is the only pronunciation I’ve heard (Southern-ish US), and I think that all of the pronunciations listed here are gorgeous!

1 Like