Aurelia Pronunciation

Am I really the only one who automatically pronounces [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] as au-RELL-ee-uh? It seems like everyone says au-REEL-ya or au-[name_u]RAY[/name_u]-lee-uh or something like that. The biggest reason why I’ve never been really on board with this name is I don’t love the common pronunciations. Does anyone know the proper, historical way to pronounce [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]? Is there one?

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Sorry, I tried googling for you, but nothing seemed to pop up besides the obvious split in the way people pronounce this name. It seems to me (from a quick search) that while the Ray and Reel pronunciations are most prominent, they are all accepted.

To throw my two cents in, I automatically said this name Aw-REE-lee-uh when I first seen it, and never even thought about the possibility of other pronunciations :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: I have an inkling that Aw-RAY-lee-uh is the “correct” way.

I believe aw-[name_f]REE[/name_f]-lee-uh (like [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]) is the traditional English pronunciation but [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] has never been a common name in English-speaking countries. Historically it has been more common in some continental European countries.

I say it like or-[name_u]RAY[/name_u]-lee-uh.

[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] Cotta, mother of [name_m]Julius[/name_m] [name_m]Ceasar[/name_m], pronounced it ow-ray-lee-ah, but the most common way I’ve heard it is aw-ray-lee-ah, which I believe is how the genus of jellyfish is pronounced.

I’m pretty sure it’s one of those dialect type of things, so I wouldn’t say yours is wrong. However, if you wanted to use it for a child’s name be prepared for other ways people might say it. I tend to drop -lia names to the -ya sound, just like the people around me. So, for me it would be au-REEL-ya, just like [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f], [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f], etc. are all three syllables for me.

I’ve always pronounced it Ow-rel-yah.

I instinctively pronounce it aw-[name_u]RAY[/name_u]-le-uh, but pronouncing -ia names like -ya isn’t what I am used to.

I’ve looked into this name a lot, because it used to be at the very top of my list. I initially pronounced it “au-RELL-ee-ah”, and liked the nickname potential of “[name_f]Ellie[/name_f]/[name_f]Elle[/name_f]”.

I found that the “au-[name_u]RAY[/name_u]-lee-ah” pronunciation is the most commonly used, and is generally accepted as the “proper” pronunciation. However, imo, there isn’t one true correct way to pronounce it!

The reason I took [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] off my list was just because I didn’t want her to have to correct people her entire life as to the proper pronunciation of her name. If that’s something that you’d like to avoid, then this might be a name to reconsider.

I pronounce it au-ree-lee-ah, the “elia” part like in [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]. I pronounced it au-rell-ee-ah like you do when I first saw it though, until I saw that that was wrong. Maybe give yourself some time to get used to the other pronunciations- [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] wasn’t the only name I was pronouncing wrong and loved a mispronunciation of, and wasn’t fond of the actual pronunciation when I first heard it but it grew on me and I came to love the name pronounced correctly. That being said, it’s uncommon enough that most people wouldn’t know the right one anyways so you could get away with it.

[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] is a gorgeous, strong and elegant name- I would love to meet someone named this :slight_smile:

I say it the same way you do! [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] is one of my all time favorite names and I’ve always pronounced it the way you do, aw-RELL-ee-uh (4 syllables). I like it the best because it feels the most “effortless” and flowy to me. I believe the pronunciation in many non-English speaking countries is aw-[name_u]RAY[/name_u]-lee-uh (I think there’s a character who pronounces it like this in the movie [name_u]Love[/name_u] Actually), but I don’t think there’s a definitively right or wrong way. I actually don’t mind the other pronunciations (they sound pretty similar if you say it quickly anyway), although I’m not very fond of aw-REEL-ee-uh. I like the aw-[name_u]RAY[/name_u]-lee-uh pronunciation, I just find that it takes a little more effort for me to say.

For the record, I also pronounce [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] as o-FELL-ee-uh, which I believe is the more common pronunciation for the Spanish version [name_f]Ofelia[/name_f], so I think there is kind of a precedent for pronouncing these kind of names the way we do!

The only way I’ve heard this name pronounced is or-ray-lee-uh. This was in the movie Fool’s [name_m]Gold[/name_m], by the way, so take it for what it’s worth!

[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f], such a pretty name. I know quiet a few Eastern European women named [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]. They all pronounce it Or-elle-e-ah, and only one pronounces it are-elle-e-ah.

It’s properly pronounced OW-RELL-lia as it’s Latin in origin but some Romance language speakers say ow-ray-lia. English speakers compare it to [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f], [name_f]Cecelia[/name_f] and do the eelia thing and that saying is incorrect.

A family memeber has this name, prn like ow-RELL-lia. She mostly goes by [name_f]Aura[/name_f] (ow-rah) though. Hispanic on that side of the family, so that could be why she prn it that way.

Thank you to everyone who replied! I live in Australia, where I’ve found that the phonetic pronunciation is usually the most common, so I think people would probably be more inclined to say aw-RELL-ee-uh before anything else. However, it seems like aw-[name_u]RAY[/name_u]-[name_u]Lee[/name_u]-uh is the most common way to say it, especially if it’s been used in movies.

I say it aww-RELL-ye-ah. I also like it au-RELL-ee-ah.

I say it very lazily: or-RAIL-ya

I taught a little [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f], and her mother’s tip for all the teachers struggling with pronunciation was that the name rhymes with Australia. So, Aw-ray-lee-uh. I love the name and went on to use it as my daughter’s middle name. We pronounce the same way my former student does.