Aurelien/Aurelius - too big of a name?

[name]Hi[/name] everyone!

[name]Just[/name] wondering what your thoughts were on the name Aurélien/[name]Aurelius[/name]? It seems like a big name to carry for a little guy so i was thinking of the nickname [name]Rex[/name] for him. Interested to hear if you think he would be suitable for the first name position, or rather, better for a middle name?

[name]Aurelien[/name]/[name]Aurelius[/name] is actually derived from a family members name (my grandfather whose real/official name was [name]Orel[/name] but went by [name]Earl[/name] to be more accessible - [name]Orel[/name] is a very French Canadian name).

My thoughts were either:
[name]Aurelien[/name] [name]Gray[/name] nn [name]Rex[/name]
[name]Aurelius[/name] [name]Gray[/name] nn [name]Rex[/name]
or
[name]Rex[/name] [name]Aurelien[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Rex[/name] [name]Aurelius[/name] [name]Gray[/name]

Potential sisters would be [name]Sophie[/name] & [name]Delphine[/name] (and in the case of not using [name]Aurelien[/name]/[name]Aurelius[/name] at all, [name]Aurelia[/name] for a girl nn [name]Aura[/name]).

Sorry, lots of info here! So basically, do you think [name]Aurelien[/name]/[name]Aurelius[/name] nn [name]Rex[/name] is suitable for a first name? Or is it better as a middle name?
(original post with all this info here Nameberry - Welcome to the Nameberry Forums , but thought it may get more input in this forum!)

Thanks in advance!

I really like both [name]Aurelien[/name] and [name]Aurelius[/name]! I prefer the -ien/ian ending to the -ius ending, so [name]Aurelien[/name] wins it for me, but I prefer [name]Aurelian[/name] to [name]Aurelien[/name]. I wouldn’t do [name]Rex[/name] as a nn for [name]Aurelien[/name]/[name]Aurelius[/name], mainly because [name]Rex[/name] is spunky and rough-and-tumble and maybe even cowboy-ish to me, but [name]Aurelien[/name] is sophisticated and softer. They seem very different. If that doesn’t bother you, then, then I think it’s fine. I really like [name]Aurelien[/name] [name]Gray[/name]! I think [name]Sophie[/name], [name]Delphine[/name], and [name]Aurelien[/name] are perfect for siblings.

Good luck!

Agree w pp. I wouldn’t normally love [name]Aurelien[/name] in the first spot but with the sisters’ names and the family connection I’m won over : D. Sure, use [name]Rex[/name] as a nn : D. All best!

Thanks for the replies!

I see what you’re saying, ashthedreamer, about [name]Aurelien[/name] and [name]Rex[/name] having too complete opposite feelings, but i guess that is kinda what i like about it. Since [name]Aurelien[/name] is SUCH a big name to carry, very sophisticated and yes, soft too, i just feel like he would need something more rough and tumble to go by in the playground/at school/with friends. I don’t want to be that mom crying out a too-sophisticated-for-a-three-year-old name at the playground - and feel [name]Rex[/name] is a good compromise for that!

I think I am still a little iffy on whether or not i prefer [name]Aurelien[/name] in the first or middle. If i did put him in the middle, what first names do you like with him? Something to go with potential sisters [name]Sophie[/name] & [name]Delphine[/name] (i know i know, too completely different name styles/popularity to go by but i love them together, and a family tie as well!)

When i asked on the other forum i got some great suggestions, the stand outs being:
[name]Christophe[/name] [name]Aurelien[/name] (though i think i prefer [name]Christopher[/name] [name]Aurelien[/name] - with the nn [name]Topher[/name])
[name]Sebastian[/name] [name]Aurelius[/name]
[name]Leo[/name] [name]Aurelien[/name] (hmm, i feared [name]Leo[/name] himself was too short but he IS quite stunning paired with [name]Aurelien[/name])
[name]Henri[/name] [name]Aurelien[/name]

…but those don’t lead to the nn [name]Rex[/name] which i quite adore. [name]Sophie[/name] & [name]Delphine[/name] would potentially have fun nicknames as well to match better with a nickname like [name]Rex[/name]. I was thinking maybe [name]Sophie[/name] nn [name]Poppy[/name] and [name]Delphine[/name] nn [name]Della[/name]. Also, do you like [name]Gray[/name] as a second middle name? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks a bunch!

I’m not a big fan of nicknames that are completely different than the actual name. If you love [name]Rex[/name] why not just name him [name]Rex[/name]? That would save him alot of time when every teacher he has calls him [name]Aurelian[/name] (or whatever) and he says actually I go by [name]Rex[/name]… I think [name]Rex[/name] [name]Aurelien[/name] or [name]Leo[/name] [name]Aurelien[/name] are great. [name]Christopher[/name] [name]Aurelian[/name] is good as well but you could go with [name]Rex[/name] [name]Christopher[/name]. I guess it depends on if you want a [name]Rex[/name] or a [name]Topher[/name].

I like [name]Aurelien[/name]/[name]Aurelian[/name] more than [name]Aurelius[/name]. [name]Both[/name] are big names, but [name]Aurelius[/name] feels bigger to me. I think that [name]Rex[/name] makes [name]Aurelien[/name] usable. I can’t see a little boy being constantly called [name]Aurelien[/name], but [name]Rex[/name] definitely works for a little boy :-). I prefer [name]Aurelian[/name] to [name]Aurelien[/name]…When I type [name]Aurelien[/name] I keep thinking Alien haha. If you aren’t set on the nickname [name]Rex[/name], though, I do prefer [name]Aurelian[/name] in the middle. I love [name]Leo[/name] [name]Aurelian[/name]!

I love the “big” names too. I say use it.

I think it’s fine as a middle name, but as a first… Well, it’d take a certain type of guy to pull it off.

I’m a bit late in responding - but thought this might be helpful. Aurélien is a wonderful name but very French (which works in your situation as a connection to your French Canadian roots). As noted in your original post, there is an accent over the “e” so its pronounced a bit differently than its spelled (PRONOUNCED: o-ray-LYAW). If you’re looking for a nickname, [name]Ray[/name] would seem to lend itself nicely. I’m not a huge fan of giving kids nicknames from the start - more in the school of thought that you need to earn your nickname! From personal experience when a little one has a “big” name, siblings/cousins/other kids will provide a more workable nickname (i. e., “[name]George[/name]” to “[name]Gio[/name]” and “[name]Sophia[/name]” to “[name]Fia[/name]”).

My vote goes to [name]Rex[/name] [name]Aurelien[/name] [name]Gray[/name], although I do really love [name]Aurelien[/name]/[name]Aurelius[/name] [name]Gray[/name]. If you’re absolutely set on either [name]Aurelien[/name] or [name]Aurelius[/name] for a boy, but want a more user friendly nickname, how about [name]Ari[/name]?

I think Aurélien works wonderfully if you dont think people will have problems pronouncing it. I dont see the point in [name]Rex[/name] as a nn, to me it’s a completely different name and is no less sophisticated (imo) why not combine them into [name]Rex[/name] Aurélien or something like that?

Thanks for the new thoughts everyone!

I think I have landed that I much prefer Aurélien in the middle. I also really love the feminine Aurélia or Aurélie and have been toying around with the name [name]Wren[/name] Aurélia ____. For guys, [name]Rex[/name] isn’t the one. [name]Gray[/name] is definitely at the top of the list at the moment. [name]Gray[/name] Aurélien _____. And, I still really like [name]Christopher[/name] despite his popularity and could be easily swayed to adore [name]Christopher[/name] Aurélian [name]Gray[/name] nn [name]Topher[/name].

The other name that has been playing in my head is [name]Hale[/name]. Came across him on one of these forums and he really stuck with me. But, i fear that he would constantly be called [name]Haley[/name] which I definitely wouldn’t want. [name]Do[/name] you guys like the nn [name]Hal[/name] for [name]Hale[/name], or what about [name]Huck[/name]?

thanks for the help! much appreciated.

nn - [name_f]Auriel[/name_f] sounds like Orriel, [name_m]Leo[/name_m], [name_m]Lion[/name_m],