Australia’s Most Popular Pet Names

[name_f]Pretty[/name_f] close - style-wise - to our faves for human babies, though I think Australians, for all their fixation with abbreviations “, still typically prefer longer names with nickname options rather than having say Freddie/Alfie on its own (which is more English/Brit style).

Are these the same sorts of most popular pet name choices where you are? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like them?

I like human names for pets (and it’s now a fun surprise when people introduce their pet with a non human name) but prefer them to be human-human names not these types of names which are more human-dog names to me (in the context of dogs, I mean, not in the context of humans, hope that makes sense). You?

Top 10 dog names

1. [name_f]Luna[/name_f]
  2. [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
  3. [name_u]Milo[/name_u]
  4. [name_f]Bella[/name_f]
  5. [name_u]Coco[/name_u]
  6. [name_u]Teddy[/name_u]
  7. [name_u]Charlie[/name_u]
  8. [name_u]Frankie[/name_u]
  9. [name_m]Archie[/name_m]
  10. [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]

I have seen a lot of [name_f]Luna[/name_f], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], [name_f]Bella[/name_f] and [name_u]Coco[/name_u]! I am a fan of human names on dogs, mostly for humour.

Like come on, imagine saying I can’t come today. [name_u]Charles[/name_u] doesn’t like it when I leave him alone at home! That would be hilarious.

[name_f]My[/name_f] “firstborn” pup is [name_m]Jeffrey[/name_m], “Jeff” - always get a laugh from people when we use his name @AStudyIn_Scarlet (not best photo as needed a hair trim; he really is a lovely chap).

1 Like

i can certainly confirm daisy, frankie, coco, ruby and archie as being popular! i know lovely dogs with these names (in some cases multiple). i must say milo surprises me a little given the drink - i don’t really see it as a name because of this.

i wonder if any of these charlie’s, frankie’s, teddy’s etc. have other, more proper human names for ‘long’? my cat is sam, and we sometimes call him samuel when he misbehaves and i know of a couple of dog owners that do the same thing!

1 Like