Avoiding up and coming names

Expecting a baby girl in May. For my older son, we chose the name Augustine - about 3 years before all the Augusts, Auggies, Guses, etc. became popular. I wouldn’t change his name, but this has annoyed me to no end. So, with subsequent pregnancies, I’ve really tried to determine if a name is on a substantial upswing - if so, gets crossed off the list. (I know not everyone feels like that should be important, but it is to me!)

I’m considering these girls names, but I’d love to hear your thoughts on their trajectories. I’ll share my thoughts too, but would love to hear from you first!

Maura

Oona

Greer

Dora

Orla

Edit: I’m in the US

1 Like

[name_f]Love[/name_f] [name_f]Oona[/name_f] so much. I feel it is safe to assume it won’t get very popular, at least not top 100 I feel.

1 Like

The only name I feel from your list that will be growing in popularity is Greer!!

I also feel that while [name_f]Maura[/name_f] may not be growing in popularity herself, there are a lot of names increasing in popularity ending with -mara (Amara, [name_f]Samara[/name_f], etc.)

I feel that [name_f]Dora[/name_f] is safe, as most people having kids now probably still have the [name_f]Dora[/name_f] the [name_f]Explorer[/name_f] association

I’d say [name_f]Orla[/name_f] and [name_f]Oona[/name_f] are likely safe too!!

1 Like

I don’t know where you’re from, which unfortunately makes this a little harder, but I don’t see any of these names becoming overwhelmingly popular in any English-speaking country!

[name_f]Greer[/name_f] feels the most likely to rise quickly, because short, unisex, surname names are very popular at the moment, but I could only see it trending in the US/Canada. And it’s too divisive as a name for me to imagine it in the top 100!

[name_f]Orla[/name_f] is very, very popular in the UK & [name_f]Ireland[/name_f] so I could see it eventually catching on in the US, [name_f]Canada[/name_f] and Australia as well. It definitely doesn’t seem like it would go from not even being in the top 1000 to “very popular” anytime soon, but its popularity elsewhere is something to keep in mind!

[name_f]Oona[/name_f] is interesting. You’d expect it to be popular because of its similarity to [name_f]Anna[/name_f], but it’s not trending anywhere, not even in its native [name_f]Ireland[/name_f]. The [name_f]Una[/name_f] spelling is in the [name_f]English[/name_f] top 600, but that’s about it. I think [name_f]Oona[/name_f] is a fairly safe bet!

[name_f]Maura[/name_f] & [name_f]Dora[/name_f] should be fine – they don’t feel dated by any means, but they definitely have a more established, more classic and ever so slightly retro feel, and those aren’t the sort of names that typically trend all of a sudden!

3 Likes

I think [name_f]Orla[/name_f] or [name_f]Maura[/name_f] are probably the safest-yet-still-fashionable options honestly. [name_f]Oona[/name_f] is buzzing and [name_f]Dora[/name_f] is very in too (at least from what I’ve observed).

I think [name_f]Maura[/name_f] is the least-likely to be popular in the US. [name_f]Orla[/name_f] is uncommon too, and unlikely to rise.

[name_f]Oona[/name_f] thoughts: [name_f]Amber[/name_f] Heard and [name_m]Jonny[/name_m] Galecki both have recently named daughters [name_f]Oona[/name_f], albeit different spellings. I feel like celebrity baby names are often where trends originate. (No matter how wonderful she is as a person, I’ll never forgive [name_f]Mandy[/name_f] [name_m]Moore[/name_m] for naming her son August/Gus.:blush:)
Also, I feel like [name_f]Oona[/name_f] might be the fresher choice for the people feeling like [name_f]Luna[/name_f] is a little stale?

I don’t care as much about name ranking/rarity (I named my other daughter Elizabeth), but more about trendiness. I don’t want someone to be able to identify when my child was born based on their name - “the decade of Luca!” or any other name with a meteroric rise.

Maura/Dora thoughts: I agree that [name_f]Maura[/name_f] probably doesn’t have the artsy edge to make it rise quickly, but I think [name_f]Dora[/name_f] does - plus it more or less fits the 100 yr rule. I do worry that these have the -ora ending that would make them easy alternatives to [name_f]Cora[/name_f], [name_f]Nora[/name_f], etc. that might be becoming a bit stale.

[name_m]Can[/name_m] you tell me what you’re seeing re: [name_f]Dora[/name_f]? I’ve seen a lot of [name_f]Oona[/name_f] on message boards, etc., but not [name_f]Dora[/name_f] yet.

I’ve seen it mentioned a few places but I suppose it just fits in very well with the 1910s/1920s names that are swinging back into fashion even if we aren’t seeing it in the charts yet. It’s also got some international appeal as it’s easy to pronounce for most languages. That said, it’s possible it won’t swing back at all. You never know for sure!

1 Like

I feel like Im on the opposite side of this argument. I feel like out of your list of names Maura would be the one most likely to rise. In fact I know several people either talking about using it or who have named their child this recently. Especially with short names ending in ‘a’ that are on the rise (like Thea, Aria, Isla, Cora, Nora, Flora etc) as well with the rising interest of ‘ar’ and ‘mar’ names like Marian, Amara, Arden, Mary, Marigold etc.

However with that being said, tbh I dont see any of these names rising astronomically or becoming overly trendy.

1 Like

[name_f]Maura[/name_f] → strong and distinctive. I don’t think it’s likely to become super popular soon - it left the rankings back in the 2000s, and even then, it was never mega popular

[name_f]Oona[/name_f] → beautiful, mystical and lovely. Not currently in the top 1000, but it has a similar sound to very popular [name_f]Luna[/name_f] - and both [name_f]Oona[/name_f] and similar [name_f]Una[/name_f] are on the rise in the UK - which can sometimes echo US charts - would I rule it out? I don’t think so - especially this spelling

[name_f]Greer[/name_f] → a distinctive and divisive name, and for that reason, I can’t see it becoming super popular anytime soon

[name_f]Dora[/name_f] → love it, cute but clunky, quirky but solid. I think the ‘Dora the Explorer’ still sways people away from it (which is good for you) - I would consider that [name_f]Theodora[/name_f] has gained some interest recently and it might feel slightly more popular than it is, on account of [name_f]Nora[/name_f], [name_f]Cora[/name_f], [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]

[name_f]Orla[/name_f] → love the short but earthy sounds and the beautiful meaning! I think it might still remain uncommon in the US (though it is in the UK 100, so :person_shrugging: you never know)

1 Like

[name_f]Maura[/name_f] would be a good choice. I’d say I hear [name_f]Orla[/name_f] and [name_f]Oona[/name_f] a lot.

[name_f]Greer[/name_f] thoughts: I feel like I see it on so many lists here on nameberry! But maybe it’s just a forum darling and won’t get the usage in real life. Does have the unisex, surname appeal.

[name_f]Orla[/name_f] thoughts: if i had to place bets, I’d say this is least likely to become trendy - I think the “R” makes it a little gruffer in the mouth. However, it does follow two syllable, -a ending trends.

[name_m]Can[/name_m] i ask where you’re located?

I feel like I’ve seen evidence of [name_f]Oona[/name_f] and [name_f]Orla[/name_f] being on the rise. Perhaps [name_f]Greer[/name_f], too.

I agree! I named my daughter Eleanor 10 years ago - her name is certainly very popular, and probably will continue to be for awhile, but it’s still a lovely name and it has history and substance. It’s not a flash in the pan name.

I would put Augustine and all your girl choices into the same category. Yes, they may become trendy, but they all have some weight and history behind them.

Honestly, no one can predict what will happen in the future (did anyone guess that Theodore would come out of nowhere and into the top 10 last year, for example?) To me, it doesn’t make sense to discount names that are otherwise wonderful because of something that might happen.

But anyway … I’m going to make some predictions for you. :smiley_cat:

I can see Dora getting more popular, on the back of Theodore’s popularity - I think Theodora and Dorothea will gain traction and Dora along with them (either on its own or as a nickname for the longer names). This is the one I would bet on becoming more popular.

I’d be surprised to see Maura rise, as it’s always felt a bit on the outside of trends. But - who knows?

Orla and Oona I think will continue to gain in use.

Greer could go either way.

1 Like

Oo I’m glad you mentioned the theodore to dora connection, i wouldn’t have thought of that! Thank you for your predictions!

1 Like