Avos

Avos [[name_m]AH[/name_m]-vos] is a Russian word that basically means “hopefully” or “hope against hope”. It’s an attitude that life is unpredictable and that the best one can do is to rely on luck. It’s very similar to the idea of destiny.

Because Avos resembles a masculine name, ancient Russians began writing it with a capital A and Avos evolved into a sort of pagan deity symbolizing luck. A deified Avos is commonly seen in classic Russian literature when a character is to rely on God or fate.

I’m crushing on it as a name. What do you think?

I can definitely see it working - it shares sounds with names like [name_m]Amos[/name_m], [name_f]Avis[/name_f] and [name_m]Ares[/name_m] so I’d say it’s definitely wearable. And I can see the appeal: short, tailored, unusual yet easily pronouncable.

I’m not in love with it myself (just not crazy about the sound, plus I’ve never understood “avos’” to be a particularly positive kind of fatalism), but I think it definitely works and it’s definitely unique!

1 Like

@katinka: I’m happy to hear it’s wearable. That’s half the battle there. :slight_smile:

You made a great point and you’re definitely right. As Russian people become more realistic the term “avos” has lost some of it’s positivity.

Thanks!

I’d really love to get some more opinions on Avos.

I think its wearable! I am of the mind as long as it’s not made up or flat out ludicrous, we’re solid.

1 Like

I really like it! Short, simple, easy to pronounce + I’ve never heard it anywhere! I think the meaning is cool. I’m also a fan of the name [name_m]Ivo[/name_m] (pronounced [name_m]Evo[/name_m])

1 Like

Hooray, a boys name I haven’t seen before! I love it and think it can absolutely work. A beautiful name, easy to pronounce, positive meaning and it even fits in with today’s popular naming style of what BabyNameWizard calls “raindrop names”. Nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

@future_twins: I love [name_m]Ivo[/name_m], pronounced both as IE-vo and EE-vo. It dropped off my list a few weeks ago but I’m so glad you brought it up. It does have quite a bit in common with Avos. Thanks!

@vc2013: It’s hard to come up with a name that isn’t all over the place. I checked out their post on raindrop names and I can see how it might fit. I’m also glad you mentioned it, it’s great to check out some similar names. Thanks!