Baby #3- help/honest opinions!

Currently expecting baby #3, due in mid-March!

Our first two children are named [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] and [name_m]Jack[/name_m] [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m]- neither is double barreled, that’s first and middle.

We aren’t finding out the gender this time around, so we have to decide on a boy’s name and a girl’s name! Below are what we’ve been thinking of, but I’m open to suggestions, especially for middle names. Surname is short, two syllables, ends in -y.

Boys

  • [name_m]Augustine[/name_m] (this is our top choice right now)
    • Husband likes the nickname [name_m]Gus[/name_m], I like [name_m]Auggie[/name_m]. I don’t mind him having different nicknames.
  • [name_m]Everett[/name_m] (this was our top choice for a while, dropped to #2)
    • Nicknamed [name_m]Rhett[/name_m], probably
  • [name_m]Francis[/name_m]
    • [name_m]Frank[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Clark[/name_m]

Girls - WAY harder, please hit me with suggestions!

  • [name_f]Alice[/name_f] (husband likes this one, it just doesn’t click for me the same way, but right now it’s the top)
  • [name_f]Clara[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Jane[/name_f]

We are Catholic so saint names are a plus but not essential.

5 Likes

[name_m]Francis[/name_m] & [name_f]Clara[/name_f] get my vote

for other girl names I would suggest
[name_f]Emma[/name_f]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]

[name_m]Francis[/name_m] and [name_f]Alice[/name_f] are my favourites! I think they go nicely with the other siblings.
[name_m]Max[/name_m], [name_m]Leonard[/name_m] (Leo?), [name_m]Daniel[/name_m], [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]
[name_f]Adeline[/name_f] (Ada), [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] (Belle, Izzy), Anna/Anne, [name_f]Elena[/name_f]

[name_f]Allison[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] nn [name_f]Alice[/name_f] or [name_f]Ally[/name_f]

[name_f]Allison[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]

[name_m]Augustine[/name_m] [name_m]Oberon[/name_m]

[name_m]Augustine[/name_m] Everret

[name_f]Agatha[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]

[name_m]Sullivan[/name_m] [name_f]Agape[/name_f]

[name_m]Augustine[/name_m] [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]

[name_f]Joan[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f]

[name_f]Betty[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f]

[name_f]Julie[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Julie[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f]

[name_m]Owen[/name_m] [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m]

[name_m]Clark[/name_m] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f] repeat too many sounds for me. I’d drop those.

Congratulations !!
I really love [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_m]Jack[/name_m] . Such beautiful and understated classic names.

Personally I would probably go with a 4 letter name

[name_m]Luke[/name_m]
[name_m]Ezra[/name_m]
[name_m]Owen[/name_m]
[name_m]Levi[/name_m]
[name_m]Cole[/name_m]
[name_m]Nate[/name_m]
[name_m]Dane[/name_m]
[name_m]Mike[/name_m]
[name_m]Pete[/name_m]
[name_m]Hary[/name_m]

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f]
[name_f]Kate[/name_f]
[name_f]Ella[/name_f]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Faye[/name_f]
[name_f]Ines[/name_f]
[name_f]Aida[/name_f]
[name_f]Gail[/name_f]

[name_m]Lane[/name_m]

With Jack & Mary (gorgeous!), I would go for something storybook sweet and classic like them, and visually cohesive.

Everett “Rhett” would be my choice of your contenders.

I like Augustine as a middle, it complements Peregrine but too lengthy and complex imo, compared to the others. Maybe August, Arthur or Angus instead?

Wouldn’t choose Clark, too similar to Jack to me and I really like Francis but I don’t love Frank - it’s a bit honky and harsh to me, and maybe also a bit close to Jack (but without the cool breeziness of Jack). Could Francis be a middle? It’s very handsome, Frank just isn’t as appealing to me.

I think Alice and Clara would be lovely - I prefer Clara myself and it would be my pick of the two - but it is a repeat of Claire (if you ever use it) - though you might anyway like that connection.

I like Jane but I would probably go for different starting letters - so have it as a back up (so it’s not Jack and Jane). I also think having different endings is nice too (hence why Clark & Frank wouldn’t be a top pick).

Other ideas:

Anne/Annie
Iris
Tess (possibly as a nn for Therese)
Grace
Eliza
Violet
Rose
Agnes
Cecilia
Louisa
Imogen

Thomas
Walter
Wesley
Vincent
Lucas
Callum
Edmund
Tobias
Hugh
Hugo
Leo

1 Like

My thoughts on the current front runners:

  • [name_m]Augustine[/name_m] - is very handsome. My only hesitation is that it feels very grand and elaborate next to [name_m]Jack[/name_m] and [name_f]Mary[/name_f], but nicknames [name_m]Gus[/name_m] and [name_m]Auggie[/name_m] feel perfectly matched.
  • [name_m]Everett[/name_m] - I love [name_m]Everett[/name_m] personally. Very sharp and stylish, and it’s a good balance of gentle and strong.
  • [name_m]Francis[/name_m] “Frank” - I think this one is the most well matched with [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_m]Jack[/name_m]. It’s got that retro charm and classic energy. [name_m]Francis[/name_m] feels elegant and saintly like [name_m]Augustine[/name_m] while being more down to earth like [name_m]Jack[/name_m]. If I were choosing from your list, it’d probably be between [name_m]Francis[/name_m] and [name_m]Everett[/name_m].
  • [name_m]Clark[/name_m] - [name_m]Clark[/name_m] is nice, but I do feel it might be too close to [name_m]Jack[/name_m] and [name_f]Claire[/name_f]. Still, I love [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_m]Clark[/name_m] as siblings names.

For the girls:

  • [name_f]Alice[/name_f] - [name_m]The[/name_m] most promising choice imho, sounds nice with [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_m]Jack[/name_m] and is a pretty, classic name. But you don’t seem the most charmed by it.

  • [name_f]Clara[/name_f] - I personally would avoid [name_f]Clara[/name_f] as it is so close to [name_f]Claire[/name_f]. If [name_f]Mary[/name_f] doesn’t go by her middle name often, it’s not the end of the world, but it’s something to consider.

  • [name_f]Jane[/name_f] - I love [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and I think it’s a great sister name with [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. However, [name_m]Jack[/name_m] and [name_f]Jane[/name_f] just feel too close for me personally.

A few of my suggestions:

  • [name_m]Louis[/name_m] / [name_f]Louise[/name_f] / [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] - Whether you use the masculine or feminine version, it’s so classic and charming and calls to several saints.
  • [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] / [name_f]Elise[/name_f] - [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is also nice, but I think [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] feels more similar in energy to [name_m]Jack[/name_m] and [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. [name_m]The[/name_m] [name_f]French[/name_f] [name_f]Elise[/name_f] is also beautifully elegant and down to earth and might be a touch more surprising.
  • [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] - Has a great blend of class and playfulness. [name_f]Ruthie[/name_f] is adorable, and reminds me a lot of [name_m]Auggie[/name_m] and [name_m]Gus[/name_m].
  • [name_f]Flora[/name_f] - [name_f]Florence[/name_f] or [name_f]Florentina[/name_f] might be too much with [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_m]Jack[/name_m], but [name_f]Flora[/name_f] feels like a solid match.
  • [name_f]Emma[/name_f] / [name_f]Emily[/name_f] - Feels a lot like [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f] in terms of energy and feel, but is distinct in sound from [name_m]Jack[/name_m] and [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f].
1 Like

[name_m]Not[/name_m] sure why didn’t drink but [name_m]Benedict[/name_m] could be a lovely option, it’s not as heavy to me as [name_m]Augustine[/name_m] and [name_m]Ben[/name_m] has the simplicity of [name_m]Jack[/name_m] and [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. Otherwise as a middle - eg [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_m]Benedict[/name_m]

Congratulations! I think [name_m]Francis[/name] goes really nicely with [name_f]Mary[/name] and [name_m]Jack[/name] and it’s probably my favourite of your options. I also think [name_m]Everett[/name] “[name_m]Rhett[/name]” works well, though it does feel a bit contemporary? [name_m]Augustine[/name] is a lovely name but feels quite long and fancy with siblings’ names – just [name_m]August[/name] seems like a better match, though I know it’s not a saint’s name. I also think [name_m]Augustine[/name] would work really well as a middle name. [name_m]Clark[/name] is a good match as well, but might be too close to brother’s name?

I love [name_f]Alice[/name] for you – it’s a gorgeous name and matches really well with [name_f]Mary[/name] and [name_m]Jack[/name]. I don’t really like the repeated names of [name_f]Claire [/name] and [name_f]Clara[/name], but [name_f]Clara[/name] does fit in with the set. [name_f]Jane[/name] and [name_m]Jack[/name] are a bit similar for my taste but I do think [name_f]Jane[/name] is lovely. Some girls’ suggestions:

[name_f]Catherine[/name] or [name_f]Kate[/name]
[name_f]Lucy[/name]
[name_f]Rose[/name]
[name_f]Tess[/name] or [name_f]Tessa[/name] (not a saint’s name but usually short for [name_f]Teresa[/name])
[name_f]Martha[/name]
[name_f]Anne[/name] or [name_f]Annie[/name]
[name_f]Eliza[/name]
[name_f]Faith[/name]

[name_f]Love[/name_f] [name_m]Augustine[/name_m] for you- [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_m]Jack[/name_m] and Auggie/Gus.

for a girl I’d avoid [name_f]Jane[/name_f] for. First name because you already have a J with [name_m]Jack[/name_m]. It’s a great middle name though!

I’d suggest

[name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_m]Jack[/name_m] and

[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]

[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]

[name_f]Verity[/name_f]

[name_f]Helena[/name_f]

Edie/Edith

[name_f]Iva[/name_f]

[name_f]Ada[/name_f]

[name_f]Nina[/name_f]

[name_f]Catherine[/name_f]- nn [name_m]Kit[/name_m], [name_f]Kate[/name_f] or [name_f]Erin[/name_f]

[name_f]Lily[/name_f]

[name_f]Ffion[/name_f]

[name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] (similar in sound enough to [name_f]Alice[/name_f] to get partner on board?)

[name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]

[name_f]Anwen[/name_f]

[name_f]Sienna[/name_f]

[name_f]Olive[/name_f]

I just love [name_m]Everett[/name_m] with [name_f]Mary[/name_f] & [name_m]Jack[/name_m]. It seems like the most cohesive in terms of style. [name_m]Francis[/name_m] fits well, too.

And for girls, I would vote for [name_f]Alice[/name_f]. [name_f]Clara[/name_f] is another form of your daughter’s middle, and [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is the female form of [name_m]John[/name_m] (Jack).

But since you asked for other suggestions:

[name_f]Addy[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Elly[/name_f]
[name_f]Emilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Evelyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Lindy[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Maddy[/name_f]
[name_f]Madelyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
Nora/Norah
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Sally[/name_f]
[name_f]Vivian[/name_f]


[name_m]Archer[/name_m]
[name_m]Connor[/name_m]
[name_m]Dean[/name_m]
[name_m]Lewis[/name_m]
[name_m]Logan[/name_m]
[name_m]Rhys[/name_m]
[name_m]Theo[/name_m]
[name_m]Will[/name_m]
[name_m]William[/name_m]

All your names are so lovely! I think any of them would work with your current names but [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and [name_m]Clark[/name_m] might be a little too similar - [name_m]Clark[/name_m] shares many sounds with [name_m]Jack[/name_m], and [name_f]Jane[/name_f] has the same first initial.

I think my favourites are [name_m]Francis[/name_m] and [name_f]Alice[/name_f]. [name_f]Alice[/name_f] fits so nicely with [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_m]Jack[/name_m], and gives everyone a unique initial. Of your other girl choices, [name_f]Clara[/name_f] repeats from Mary’s middle and [name_f]Jane[/name_f] repeats the initial of [name_m]Jack[/name_m].

[name_m]Other[/name_m] ideas

Boys

  • [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Jude[/name_m] - but shares J initial with [name_m]Jack[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Leo[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Luke[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Simon[/name_m]

Girls

  • [name_f]Dinah[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Esther[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] - might be too rhymey with last name?
1 Like

I love [name_m]Augustine[/name_m] and [name_m]Francis[/name_m]! And [name_f]Alice[/name_f] is so cute too
I probably wouldn’t choose [name_f]Clara[/name_f] because of Mary’s middle name [name_f]Claire[/name_f] but it is still a very cute option

[name_m]Jack[/name_m], [name_f]Mary[/name_f], and…

[name_m]Boy[/name_m]: *Peter, *Paul, [name_m]Abel[/name_m], *Adam, *Noah, [name_m]Michael[/name_m], [name_m]Abram[/name_m], *Benjamin, [name_m]Reuben[/name_m], [name_m]Asher[/name_m], *Samuel, [name_m]Isaac[/name_m], [name_m]Ishmael[/name_m], [name_m]Isaiah[/name_m], *Seth, [name_m]Jonas[/name_m], [name_m]Joshua[/name_m], *Philip, [name_m]Clement[/name_m]

[name_f]Girl[/name_f]: [name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Esther[/name_f], [name_f]Amy[/name_f], [name_f]Deborah[/name_f], [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f], [name_f]Sarah[/name_f], [name_f]Ruth[/name_f], [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f], [name_f]Pamela[/name_f], [name_f]Abigail[/name_f], [name_f]Hannah[/name_f], [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f], [name_f]Talitha[/name_f]

I like [name_m]Augustine[/name_m] for you – distinctive but familiar – while the nicknames make it more in the style of your son’s first name

[name_m]Francis[/name_m] is nice too – classic but a little unexpected like your daughter’s name.

[name_m]Everett[/name_m] is also a great choice – gentle but cool. It did make me think though of skipping straight to [name_m]Rhett[/name_m]? Something like [name_m]Rhett[/name_m] [name_m]Augustine[/name_m]?

If I were to suggest some first and middle name ideas…

[name_m]Jasper[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_m]Lyle[/name_m]
[name_m]Magnus[/name_m]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_m]Swithun[/name_m]
[name_m]Sylvester[/name_m]
[name_m]Beckett[/name_m]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m]
[name_m]Julian[/name_m]
[name_m]Conrad[/name_m]
[name_m]Elias[/name_m]
[name_m]Ignatius[/name_m]
[name_m]Luca[/name_m]
[name_m]Crispin[/name_m]
[name_m]Louis[/name_m]
[name_m]Otto[/name_m]
[name_m]Nicodemus[/name_m]
[name_m]Nico[/name_m]
[name_m]Ralph[/name_m]
[name_m]Raymond[/name_m]
[name_m]Dean[/name_m]


For girls, I like the simplicity of [name_f]Jane[/name_f] – strong, sweet and versatile. [name_f]Alice[/name_f] is nice too – light and energetic but sturdy too. [name_f]Clara[/name_f] is sunny and lovely, so long as you don’t mind using [name_f]Clara[/name_f] with [name_f]Claire[/name_f] (same name, just variants)

Suggestions…

[name_f]Celia[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Florence[/name_f]
[name_f]Petra[/name_f]
[name_f]Sabrina[/name_f]
[name_f]Ellen[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Nina[/name_f]

[name_f]Honor[/name_f] / [name_f]Honoria[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]

I love your babies’ names! I’ve been thinking a lot about the name [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] as I love double-barrels.

Since [name_f]Claire[/name_f] is already in [name_f]Mary[/name_f] Claire’s name, I probably wouldn’t choose [name_f]Clara[/name_f] (but I also adore that name).

I’d choose [name_f]Alice[/name_f] (maybe with the nn “Allie” since I have been obsessed with [name_m]The[/name_m] Notebook as of late) and [name_m]Everett[/name_m] “Rhett.”

my favorites are alice and francis!!

some more suggestions:
james
august
oliver
patrick
george
andrew

anna
rose/rosie
lily
emily
sophie
ruby
abigail
eliza
felicity

Everyone has already said everything I would say but just wanted to say I love the suggestion of [name_m]Rhett[/name_m] [name_m]Augustine[/name_m] for you and if [name_f]Alice[/name_f] isn’t clicking then [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] seems like the perfect substitute. Or even [name_f]Elsie[/name_f]? [name_m]Happy[/name_m] naming!

I like [name_m]Everett[/name_m] [name_m]Benedict[/name_m], [name_m]Francis[/name_m] [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] or [name_m]Clark[/name_m] [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] as boy options. [name_m]Augustine[/name_m] just isn’t my particular taste.. otherwise I would maybe offer [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] [name_m]Dominic[/name_m] as an Auggie/Gus full name.
.
For a girl I like [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] [name_f]Iris[/name_f], she fits perfectly with [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] & [name_m]Jack[/name_m] [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m]. Alternatively, I think these pair well also: [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f], [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] [name_f]Anne[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Philomena[/name_f].
.
I also like [name_f]Elise[/name_f] as an alternative option instead of [name_f]Alice[/name_f]. [name_f]Elise[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f], [name_f]Elise[/name_f] [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f], [name_f]Elise[/name_f] [name_f]Joan[/name_f] or [name_f]Elise[/name_f] [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] sound great.