Baby Boy Naming Dilemma

I have just a couple of months until the arrival of my 2nd boy. My 1st boy’s middle name is [name]River[/name], but I’d love to use that as my second’s first name because I love it more and more. Is that okay? I also love [name]Levi[/name], but my mother’s dog was named [name]Levi[/name] by its breeder, but she’ll change it for me if need be. Lastly, I love [name]Lachlan[/name]…but my husband thinks it’s nerdy. Any advice??? Thanks!

I think you’ll be okay with any of those choices. With [name]River[/name], honestly how many times do you say your first’s middle name? You just may be regarded as a little not creative…whether or not that bothers you is obviously up to you…
If your husband doesn’t like [name]Lachlan[/name], I think its a no-go. And with [name]Levi[/name], you’ll just have to dissect how you feel about it… Unfortunatley no one can make that decision for you…

You may also like these names:
[name]Brooks[/name]
[name]Hudson[/name]
[name]Rio[/name]
[name]Wade[/name]
[name]Caspian[/name]
[name]Field[/name]
[name]Grove[/name]
[name]Marsh[/name]
[name]Ocean[/name]
[name]Rue[/name]
[name]Sky[/name]

I think [name]River[/name] and [name]Levi[/name] are both nice names.

I know a couple who called their son [name]Jack[/name], despite the fact the father’s parents bought a dog a year earlier and called it [name]Jack[/name]. So I think you can call it [name]Levi[/name]. Especially if your mother is willing to change the dog’s name. [name]Levi[/name] doesn’t seem a very doggy name anyway… for some reason I magine a Rottweiler.

And how often would your eldest son’s MN be used anyway so you could use [name]River[/name]. [name]How[/name] old is your eldest son? You could always change his MN since MN’s hardly ever get used.

I wouldnt double up. if you [name]LOVE[/name] river and changing mn is an option, i would look into that. names are so personal you dont want sibling rivalry over it later.

[name]Levi[/name] is great. what about [name]Levon[/name]? Its starting to grow on me.

Since both names have an I and a V, which seems to be the link between them, I looked up a few similar names.

[name]Ivor[/name]/[name]Iver[/name]
[name]Ivan[/name]
[name]Ravi[/name]
[name]Rivo[/name]
Chivan
[name]Sullivan[/name]
[name]Gulliver[/name]
[name]Clive[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Percival[/name]
[name]Xavier[/name]
Alexavier
[name]Alvin[/name]
[name]Arvin[/name]
[name]Irvine[/name]/[name]Irving[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]/[name]Kalvin[/name]
[name]Kevin[/name]
[name]Melville[/name]
[name]David[/name]
[name]Davis[/name]
[name]Devin[/name]

First off, the “[name]River[/name]” thing. I see no problem with it. You could, as other posters have said, change his mn but I don’t think you need to be so extreme. My mn is [name]Lucia[/name]. My parents loved it so much, that they gave my younger sister the fn [name]Lucia[/name]. I never really felt that it causes sibling rivalry or anything. It’s actually kind of cool for us to share a name together. So if you love [name]River[/name], i don’t see a problem with making it your 2nd son’s name as well!
[name]Levi[/name] is a cool name…not my style but it’s cool. I’m not a big fan of [name]Lachlan[/name] and if your husband says no then I don’t see how it could work. Sorry:(

Some other names you might like (and I’m sorry for repeats!!)
[name]Marcus[/name] nn [name]Marc[/name]
[name]Forrest[/name] (to go with [name]River[/name]:slight_smile:
[name]Louis[/name]/[name]Lewis[/name]
[name]Brooks[/name]
[name]Rio[/name]/[name]Ryo[/name]
[name]Matthew[/name] (don’t know why but I immediately thought of this one)
[name]Weston[/name]
[name]Jacoby[/name]
[name]Hayden[/name] (popular for both genders)

P.S. Would you mind telling us your eldest son’s name?

If it’s not a big deal to you, I don’t think there’s any harm in double dipping with [name]River[/name].

If you’re not set on [name]River[/name], you may also like [name]Donovan[/name].

Because both [name]Levi[/name] and [name]River[/name] have V sounds, I don’t think that [name]River[/name] [name]Levi[/name] has the best flow, though.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

To add to the above, you may also like these names:

[name]Archer[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Beckett[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Finnian[/name]
[name]Grant[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Hudson[/name] (a [name]River[/name] name)
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Kellan[/name]
[name]Lawson[/name]
[name]Miller[/name]
[name]Maxfield[/name]
[name]Pierce[/name]
[name]Quinlan[/name]
[name]Reed[/name]
[name]Sawyer[/name]
[name]Truman[/name]
[name]Walker[/name]
[name]Xavier[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for all of your responses. Everyone’s opinions and suggestions have been very helpful and eye opening! Someone did ask what my first son’s name is (who also suggested that name in her post:) )…it’s [name]Westin[/name].

I also wanted to let you know that whoever thought my mom’s dog is a Rottweiller WAS RIGHT! I guess us moms really are intuitive! I do love the i, e, and v’s in the names, so thanks, too, for pointing that out. Thanks again for the help!

My mother’s dog is a Rottweiller! And thanks for the support about using the same name as a dog…but did I mention she’s a female dog? Now why would the breeder have named her that?! Thanks again.

I think you’re right…I do like the i and v…and the e, too in those names.

Thanks for sharing your experience about sharing your middle name with your sister’s first name. I think you’re right…if I do go through with it, it will be a bonding thing for them. I also wanted to let you know that my first son’s name is [name]Westin[/name]…it was on your list! …And I always have been considering [name]Jacoby[/name] as well, so you have me nailed. Thanks again.

I think [name]River[/name] is a lovely name… I don’t think having it as a mn as well will matter - I prefer it over [name]Levi[/name] though. [name]Ryder[/name] is nice and sounds similar to [name]River[/name] too.

If you use river for your second sons fn pls change ur first sons middle name maybe to [name]Westin[/name] [name]Jude[/name]? My best friend shares a middle name with her sister and she really feels like she has been robbed out of an original name.

My mother’s dog is a Rottweiller! And thanks for the support about using the same name as a dog…but did I mention she’s a female dog? Now why would the breeder have named her that?! Thanks again.[/quote]

Really!? Wow, I must have magic powers.
But the dog is a girl? Then she should definately have a girl name which leaves [name]Levi[/name] completely free for use.
Maybe the dog should be [name]Roxie[/name] the Rottweiler instead.

I think that the name [name]River[/name] belongs to your first son. It is his middle name, and so it’s back up in case he ever dislikes his first name. Would you have liked it if your parents had given your middle name to your younger sister?

It is important for both parents to love their child’s name so I would drop [name]Lachlan[/name] and find a name that your husband loves.

I see no problem with the name [name]Levi[/name] if your dh also loves it.