Baby brother for Hugo?

First time poster here!

We are expecting baby boy #2 in a couple of months and we are having the hardest time finding a name!

Our oldest is [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], which we both love.

The kicker is, I am [name_m]French[/name_m], and still have very strong ties to my home country (my whole family is still there) and it is not out of the question that we may move back there someday. Therefore, baby’s name must be pronounceable in both languages. [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] is unusual in the US, but not unheard of. It is on the other hand quite common in [name_f]France[/name_f]. We are looking for something along those lines… [name_m]Liam[/name_m] was the runner up for [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] but we couldn’t decide, so we made it his middle name, so that’s out :frowning:

As far as preference, we both like short names (4 or 5 letters, 1 or 2 syllables max), and not too common but not out there either. Last name starts with “Mc” and is Irish sounding. Irish/scottish name suggestions are welcome (but not necessary) as long as they exist in both languages!

Here’s our short list so far:

[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_u]Theo[/name_u] (Not [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]!)
[name_u]Elliot[/name_u]
[name_u]Noah[/name_u]
[name_m]Leo[/name_m]
[name_m]Julian[/name_m]
tristan
[name_m]Soren[/name_m]
[name_m]Axel[/name_m]

Some are my husband’s suggestions, some are mine, but neither one of us agrees on any of them. For example, he loves [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], but I’m not sold…

We need help please!!!

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I love [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] and [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] as siblings! [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] and [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] are great too! I few other names I think would work are [name_m]Felix[/name_m] and [name_m]Simon[/name_m]. They both pair well with [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], and are familiar in both languages. While I adore [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] and [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], you should choose a name you love. [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] could make a lovely middle for some of the other names on your list, such as [name_m]Julian[/name_m] [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] Mc_______. Good luck, and congratulations on your upcoming son!

Thank you!

[name_m]Felix[/name_m] was on my hubby’s list too, but I prefer [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] out of the two. [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] is one of my favorites but my husband isn’t sold.
I could live with [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], but I’m concerned of the parallels with [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] the grouch or [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_m]Mayer[/name_m]… Maybe that’s just me though :slight_smile:

I was going to suggest [name_m]Simon[/name_m] myself, but the previous poster beat me to it.

I love your list, however I’m wondering if choosing another name that ends with an -o would feel too repetitive? [name_m]Just[/name_m] a thought.

From your list, I like [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], [name_u]Tristan[/name_u], and [name_m]Julian[/name_m] best of all.

Maybe you’d also like…
[name_m]Nolan[/name_m]
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m]
[name_u]Adrien[/name_u]
[name_m]Luka[/name_m]
[name_m]Leon[/name_m]

Good luck, and congratulations! You already have one very well named son, and I’m certain this one will be too.

Thank you!

I like [name_m]Simon[/name_m] as well, but not my favorite. [name_m]Nolan[/name_m] is too trendy for me (like [name_u]Aiden[/name_u], [name_m]Gavin[/name_m], etc…) I love [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] but it’s a definite no for my husband. [name_u]Adrien[/name_u] and [name_m]Leon[/name_m] are pretty old fashioned in [name_f]France[/name_f] (Especially [name_m]Leon[/name_m]). We both really like [name_m]Lucas[/name_m]… but it’s my brother’s AND my cousin’s name!!

I appreciate the suggestions!! :slight_smile:

I’ll be honest with you, I’m not an expert in [name_m]French[/name_m] so these suggestions may or may not fit your criteria of being pronounceable in both [name_m]French[/name_m] and English. Hopefully some of these do work! By the way, [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] is a great name! [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] is my favorite from your list.

[name_m]Ezra[/name_m]
[name_u]Arlo[/name_u]
[name_u]Gus[/name_u]
[name_m]Louis[/name_m]
[name_m]Otto[/name_m]
[name_u]Dean[/name_u]
[name_u]Avery[/name_u]
[name_m]Colin[/name_m]
[name_u]Emmett[/name_u]
[name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_u]Luca[/name_u]
[name_m]Albert[/name_m] (’[name_m]Albie[/name_m]’)
[name_u]Drew[/name_u]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m]/[name_m]Milo[/name_m]
[name_m]Silas[/name_m]
[name_m]Jonah[/name_m]
[name_m]Amos[/name_m]
[name_u]Elias[/name_u]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m]
[name_u]Rhys[/name_u]
[name_m]Abel[/name_m]
[name_m]Bodhi[/name_m]
[name_m]Ewan[/name_m]
[name_u]Reid[/name_u]
[name_m]Oren[/name_m]

Let me know what you think! Good luck!

Thank you for the suggestions!!

Some of these are on my list as well, Like [name_m]Louis[/name_m], [name_m]Colin[/name_m], [name_m]Jonah[/name_m], [name_u]Luca/name_u… but won’t work for a variety of reasons (already given to close family members for example)
Some of your other names I like but would not come out in [name_m]French[/name_m] ([name_u]Reid[/name_u], [name_m]Bodhi[/name_m], [name_u]Rhys[/name_u]…)
[name_u]Avery[/name_u] has recently come up in conversation, we both like it ok, but like the other names on our current list, we don’t [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] it…

This is so hard!! I feel that no matter what, one of us is going to end up unhappy with the baby’s name… :frowning:

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]! From your list I like [name_u]Theo[/name_u] and [name_m]Leo[/name_m] but they are so similar sounding and looking to [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]. I think [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] is really handsome and goes well with [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]. [name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_m]Xavier[/name_m] or [name_m]Xander[/name_m]?

[name_u]Love[/name_u] your short list! A few more ideas…

[name_m]Abram[/name_m]/ [name_m]Bram[/name_m]
[name_m]Bennett[/name_m]
[name_m]Cedric[/name_m]
[name_m]Eamon[/name_m]
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m]
[name_m]Linus[/name_m]
Loïc
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m]

With [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], I like [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], [name_m]Julian[/name_m], or [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] best with [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] in second place behind these. I probably would not do [name_u]Theo[/name_u] or [name_m]Leo[/name_m] because of the same O ending. [name_m]Soren[/name_m] and [name_m]Axel[/name_m] give off a way more modern vibe compared to [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]. What about [name_m]Luke[/name_m] instead of [name_m]Lucas[/name_m]? Instead of [name_u]Avery[/name_u], what about [name_m]Amaury[/name_m] or [name_m]Armand[/name_m]?

Some more possibilities:

[name_m]Hugo[/name_m] and

[name_m]Alban[/name_m]
[name_m]Alfred[/name_m]
[name_u]August[/name_u]
[name_m]Basil[/name_m]
[name_m]Bertram[/name_m]
[name_m]Cassius[/name_m]
[name_m]Clive[/name_m]
[name_m]Conrad[/name_m]
[name_m]Dashiell[/name_m]
[name_m]Dennis[/name_m]
[name_m]Dermott[/name_m]
[name_m]Duncan[/name_m]
[name_m]Edward[/name_m]
[name_m]Emil[/name_m]
[name_m]Gilbert[/name_m]
[name_m]Ives[/name_m]/[name_m]Yves[/name_m]
[name_m]Jasper[/name_m]
[name_m]Laurent[/name_m]/[name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]
[name_m]Martin[/name_m]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Nigel[/name_m]
[name_m]Norman[/name_m]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m]
[name_m]Percival[/name_m]
[name_m]Piers[/name_m]
[name_m]Philip[/name_m]
[name_m]Roger[/name_m]
[name_m]Roland[/name_m]
[name_m]Ruben[/name_m]
[name_m]Rupert[/name_m]
[name_m]Russell[/name_m]
[name_m]Samuel[/name_m]
[name_m]Seymour[/name_m]
[name_m]Simon[/name_m]
[name_m]Stephen[/name_m]
[name_m]Trevor[/name_m]
[name_m]Victor[/name_m]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m]
[name_m]Warren[/name_m]
[name_m]Xavier[/name_m]

Thank you! I really love [name_u]Theo[/name_u] but my husband thinks of “huxtable” right away so he’s not sold. It is definitely very similar sounding to [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], but I do like the fact that they are both four letters, and end with O.

[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] is at the top of my list at the moment. But my list changes every day!! :slight_smile:
[name_m]Xavier[/name_m] is cute but pretty old fashioned in [name_f]France[/name_f]. Not a fan of [name_m]Xander[/name_m] sorry…
This is one of my problems: a lot of [name_m]French[/name_m] sounding names that are cute and trendy in the US, are out of fashion in [name_f]France[/name_f] :frowning:

Thank you! I like [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] and [name_m]Bennett[/name_m], not sure how they would be perceived in [name_f]France[/name_f] though… I appreciate the suggestions!!

Thank you so much for the ideas!
We have thought of [name_m]Luc[/name_m] (french spelling) instead of [name_m]Luke[/name_m]. It is fairly old fashioned in [name_f]France[/name_f] though, so I don’t love it. It has not yet made a come back like some other old fashioned names ([name_m]Pierre[/name_m], [name_m]Louis[/name_m], [name_u]Jules[/name_u])
I like [name_m]Amaury[/name_m], but I’ve never heard it in the US, or at least not that I know of? I’m afraid he would spend his time telling people how to spell it… and we already have an [name_m]Armand[/name_m] in the immediate family!

Your list definitely gives me some more stuff to work with so thank you for that :slight_smile:

My favorite is BY FAR [name_m]Oscar[/name_m]! I love that name and I think it fits wonderfully with [name_m]Hugo[/name_m].

Thank you! I still have my reservations about it… Some days I tell myself I could live with it, some days, I’m thinking definitely no… I really wish I would love the name, because it DOES go very well with [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]!!

I really like [name_m]Soren[/name_m] and [name_u]Noah[/name_u]!
Some other names
[name_m]Bennett[/name_m]
[name_u]Arlo[/name_u]
[name_m]Dax[/name_m]
[name_m]Archer[/name_m]
[name_m]Beckham[/name_m] ([name_u]Beck[/name_u])
[name_u]Shilo[/name_u]
[name_m]Jack[/name_m]

I had a definite love at first sight moment when I first heard [name_m]Soren[/name_m]. However we have absolutely zero Scandinavian origins so we thought it would be weird, and it does not go that well with [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]. [name_u]Noah[/name_u] was my number one pick but hubby vetoed it because it sounds too biblical for him. I love [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] and [name_u]Noah[/name_u] together, although I know [name_u]Noah[/name_u] is super popular at the moment.
From your list, I like [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] and [name_m]Dax[/name_m], thanks for the suggestions!!

What about [name_u]Ash[/name_u], [name_m]Bram[/name_m], [name_u]Dean[/name_u], [name_m]George[/name_m], [name_m]Heath[/name_m], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_m]Ian[/name_m], [name_u]Jude[/name_u], [name_m]Martin[/name_m], [name_u]Owen[/name_u], [name_m]Phillip[/name_m], or [name_m]Silas[/name_m]?

What about [name_u]Ash[/name_u], [name_m]Bram[/name_m], [name_u]Dean[/name_u], [name_m]George[/name_m], [name_m]Heath[/name_m], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_m]Ian[/name_m], [name_u]Jude[/name_u], [name_m]Martin[/name_m], [name_u]Owen[/name_u], [name_m]Phillip[/name_m], [name_u]Seren[/name_u], or [name_m]Silas[/name_m]?

From your list, I like [name_m]Martin[/name_m], [name_u]Owen[/name_u], and [name_m]Silas[/name_m]. Thanks for the suggestions! :slight_smile: