Baby due in 6 weeks and at a loss for boys' names - HELP!!!

Okay. We are expecting our second child (gender unknown) in six weeks. We have a girl’s name picked out ([name]Amelia[/name] [name]Madeline[/name] - please don’t tell me if you hate it; it’s the ONLY girl’s name DH and I can agree on), but we are completely stuck for a boy’s name. I think this is because we already used our favorite boy’s name for our DS ([name]Owen[/name] [name]Alexander[/name]). I’m looking for some ideas!

We like names that weren’t common names when we were growing up (e.g., we would never use [name]Michael[/name], [name]Stephen[/name], [name]Christopher[/name], [name]Andrew[/name], [name]Benjamin[/name], etc.), but we don’t like new “invented” names, either (e.g., we would never use [name]Braden[/name], [name]Jayden[/name], [name]Jaxon[/name], etc.). Our last name is [name]Mulligan[/name].

Names that we have considered, but either rejected or are concerned about:

[name]Max[/name] (DH likes it; I don’t - too short).

[name]Wyatt[/name] (I like it; DH doesn’t - he thinks it sounds “too Western” and we’re [name]East[/name] Coasters).

[name]Liam[/name] (we both like it, but DH is concerned that [name]Liam[/name] [name]Mulligan[/name] is “too ethnically Irish,” even though we are Irish-American, and I’m worried that [name]Liam[/name] [name]Mulligan[/name] will sound like [name]Leah[/name] [name]Mulligan[/name]).

[name]Miles[/name] (we both like it, but not enough and I’m not sure why - maybe not masculine enough?)

[name]Graham[/name] (we both like it, but not enough - I don’t really like a one-syllable name; not sure why DH’s interest faded on that one)

[name]Carson[/name] (we like the sound of it, but I’m not inclined to use a last name unless it’s a family name, which [name]Carson[/name] isn’t)

We can’t use [name]Henry[/name] because it’s our dog’s name.

[name]Duncan[/name] (doesn’t sound good with [name]Mulligan[/name])

[name]Nathaniel[/name] (we might use this for a middle name, but don’t like it enough for a first name)

[name]Gavin[/name] (DH likes it; I don’t - negative association with someone named [name]Gavin[/name])

[name]Eamon[/name] or [name]Ewan[/name] (too similar to [name]Owen[/name])

If anyone is still reading and has some brilliant ideas, I’m all ears. Thank you!!!

[name]Levi[/name]
[name]Amos[/name]
[name]Tate[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name]
[name]Carter[/name]
[name]Avery[/name]
[name]August[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name]
[name]Jonas[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Patrick[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Xander[/name]
[name]Zane[/name]
[name]Dane[/name]
[name]Cole[/name]

:slight_smile:

Here are some ideas for Irish-ish boys names:

[name]Nolan[/name]
[name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Emmett[/name]
[name]Neil[/name]
[name]Kellan[/name]
I even like [name]Dorian[/name]

I would stay away from [name]Liam[/name], not because it’s “too Irish” but simply because it doesn’t work well in practice. My nephew is called [name]Liam[/name], and my sister calls him “[name]Lee[/name]-mee” as a nickname – it was cute when he was in diapers, but imagine calling a teen that! If you like [name]Liam[/name], why not call him [name]William[/name]? That way he’d have a choice of nicknames to choose from as he got older ([name]Bill[/name], [name]Will[/name], [name]Willie[/name], [name]Billy[/name], [name]Liam[/name], etc). [name]Just[/name] my two cents, speaking from experience :wink: Good luck!

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions!

Personally really like [name]Graham[/name] and I think it goes well with [name]Mulligan[/name].

Other Irish names I like:
[name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Casey[/name]
[name]Kieran[/name]
[name]Riley[/name]
[name]Rory[/name]
[name]Ryan[/name]
[name]Sean[/name]
[name]Shane[/name]
[name]Trevor[/name]
[name]Colin[/name]
[name]Aidan[/name]
[name]Cormac[/name]

Good luck!

You sound like you’re not in love with any of the names you listed, so here are some suggestions…

[name]Noah[/name]
[name]Seth[/name]
[name]Finn[/name] (or [name]Finley[/name] or [name]Finnegan[/name])
[name]Harper[/name]

Okay, since you’re not so sure about [name]Max[/name], how about [name]Maxwell[/name]? I think it goes beautifully with [name]Owen[/name]. From your list I also like [name]Miles[/name]. Some other considerations - [name]Ethan[/name]? [name]Levi[/name]? [name]Ian[/name]? [name]Seth[/name]? [name]Caleb[/name]?

First of all, I just have to say that [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Madeleine[/name] is a lovely name for a girl! It goes well with [name]Owen[/name] [name]Alexander[/name], too.

[name]Max[/name] - You could have [name]Maxwell[/name] or [name]Maximillian[/name], but I think they sound a little silly with [name]Mulligan[/name] - too much alliteration.
[name]Liam[/name] - I don’t think of [name]Liam[/name] as being out-there Irish, not like [name]Seamus[/name] or Caoimhin, but I don’t know how common it is among Irish-Americans (I live in [name]England[/name]). I can see what you’re saying about sounding like [name]Leah[/name] with your surname, but this could just be one of those problems you come up with when you think about a name for too long, if you see what I mean.
[name]Miles[/name] - I’m not incredibly fond of the alliteration, but it’s not very bad.
[name]Graham[/name] - nice, but not incredible, I agree with you on that.
[name]Carson[/name] - quite nice.
[name]Duncan[/name] - I don’t think it sounds drastically bad.
[name]Nathaniel[/name] - I love. This gets my vote for a middle name, as it matches [name]Alexander[/name] and [name]Madeleine[/name] in style and length.
[name]Gavin[/name] - I think the association would be forgotten once you began to associate it with your son, but I’m not particularly fond of this one.
[name]Eamon[/name] or [name]Ewan[/name] - you’re right, they are too similar to [name]Owen[/name].

[name]How[/name] about :
[name]Lorcan[/name] (same problem as [name]Duncan[/name]?)
[name]Connor[/name]
[name]Cormac[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name].

I have an [name]Owen[/name] as well, and great choice for a girls name. love [name]Amelia[/name].

some thoughts:

[name]Owen[/name] and [name]Jameson[/name]
[name]Owen[/name] and [name]Shane[/name]/[name]Sean[/name]
[name]Owen[/name] and [name]Declan[/name] (my two boys!!)
[name]Owen[/name] and [name]Will[/name]
[name]Owen[/name] and [name]Patrick[/name]
[name]Owen[/name] and [name]James[/name]
[name]Owen[/name] and [name]Kieran[/name]

good luck!

[name]Graham[/name] is one of my personal favorties, but I worry it would sound like Gramulligan.
I really love [name]Eamon[/name] and I like the name [name]Ronan[/name] with [name]Owen[/name]. [name]Conall[/name] and [name]Beacan[/name] I also love. Good luck and let us know the name you choose!