Baby due very soon - no name in sight!!

[name]Hi[/name] all,

I’m hoping you can help with our naming dilemma. We don’t know the sex of our baby (firstborn), and we’re struggling to pick the perfect name! Like almost everyone else, we want something cool but not wacky, and not too common without irking the in-laws. Our ‘unique’ dilemma is that I’m a [name]Brit[/name], my DH is Aussie and we reside in the States - we have to choose a name that works in all three countries! Eek! The last name is [name]Perry[/name], if that helps/

So far, for boys, our shortlist is:
[name]Theodore[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] (nn [name]Theo[/name]/[name]Teddy[/name]) - DH thinks this sounds too ‘Greek’
[name]Oscar[/name] ??? - I want to use [name]Oscar[/name] as a first or middle name to honor my grandfather. Think [name]Oscar[/name] is getting v common in the UK, though
[name]Milo[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] Maxmilian (can’t have [name]Milo[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] on its own as initials would be MOP! Also we both love [name]Milo[/name] but it’s a chocolate milk drink in [name]Oz[/name] and not sure if his cousins would tease him?)
[name]Leo[/name] [name]Oscar[/name]
[name]Rex[/name] [name]Oscar[/name]

GIRLS
[name]Cleo[/name] [name]Rose[/name] (not sure about the middle name!)
[name]Evelyn[/name] ??? (nn [name]Evie[/name])
[name]Helena[/name] ??? (probably discounted as too many people will mispronounce it)
[name]Stella[/name] (I think this sounds quite ‘harsh’)
[name]Estella[/name] (undecided!)
[name]Gracie[/name]
[name]Bella[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]

Any help would be hugely appreciated: we don’t want to be those ‘wait till we see the baby to name them’ parents as the poor mite will never get a moniker!

I really like your list! [name]Leo[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] is my favorite boys combo. Have you thought about [name]Oscar[/name] [name]Theodore[/name]? That’s awfully sweet, too.

I adore [name]Estella[/name]! Some combos:
[name]Estella[/name] [name]Jocelyn[/name], [name]Estella[/name] [name]Ivy[/name] (love this!), [name]Estella[/name] [name]Madeleine[/name], [name]Estella[/name] [name]Poppy[/name], [name]Estella[/name] [name]Maren[/name], [name]Estella[/name] [name]Camille[/name], [name]Estella[/name] [name]Claire[/name], [name]Estella[/name] [name]Willow[/name], [name]Estella[/name] [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Estella[/name] [name]Maribelle[/name], [name]Estella[/name] [name]Helene[/name], [name]Estella[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]

[name]Helena[/name] is very pretty, too. And [name]Cleo[/name] is fun… Have you thought about [name]Cleo[/name] [name]Helena[/name]? I really like that one.

[name]Hi[/name], Mrs. P!

You have great taste! Unfortunately, I can really only give you the American perspective, but I lived in the UK as a girl, so maybe I can say a bit about that, too. Australia - no way!

I love [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] [name]Perry[/name], personally. I don’t think [name]Theodore[/name] sounds too Greek at all - I mean, yes the name is Greek, but in terms of what is a “Greek” name, I think of something like [name]Milos[/name] instead! [name]Theo[/name] is cute, too. This is handsome and classic, yet quirky and original - exactly what you are going for, right?

[name]Milo[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] [name]Maximilian[/name] is a bit of a mouthful in my opinion, and I’ve met a few too many dogs named [name]Milo[/name] in my day. Plus, you have that Aussie chocolate milk problem! I’d say goodbye to [name]Milo[/name], sadly…

[name]Leo[/name] [name]Oscar[/name], firstly, doesn’t have ideal flow - the O’s kind of run into each other. Secondly, I think [name]Leo[/name] feels a bit incomplete. I’m a [name]Leopold[/name] fan, but I realize it is a lot of name to work with! Also, [name]Leopold[/name] [name]Perry[/name] doesn’t work - the P sound is too prominent, so that’s a no.

If I had to pick off your list, I’d choose [name]Theodore[/name] - hands down! But, I’m not going to leave you totally handing, so here are some more names to choose from:

[name]Arlo[/name] [name]Maximilian[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] [name]Perry[/name] - [name]Arlo[/name] reminds me of [name]Arlo[/name] [name]Guthrie[/name], the musician, yet the name has a relaxed, quirky feel to it that I think would work in Australia - here’s me guessing!

[name]Hugo[/name] [name]Maximilian[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] [name]Perry[/name] - [name]Hugo[/name] seems like a strong, handsome name for a boy, and I think it would go over well both in the UK and in Australia. It’ll be a bit vintage and quirky here in the US, but people will appreciate that - at least I think they will.

[name]Viggo[/name] [name]Maximilian[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] [name]Perry[/name] - [name]Viggo[/name] reminds me of the actor, [name]Viggo[/name] Mortensen ([name]Lord[/name] of the Rings, [name]Hidalgo[/name]), but the name has a certain strength and uniquely masculine feel to it! I don’t know if you ever listened to the 90s music group, [name]Hanson[/name], but one brother, [name]Taylor[/name], welcomed a son, [name]Viggo[/name] [name]Moriah[/name], in [name]December[/name] 2008.

I suggested these O names because 1) they are fresh, modern, and trendy right now, and 2) you seem to love them, either in full name or nickname form!

Some names of MY choosing for you are names with an animal or natural theme. Your last name, [name]Perry[/name], means “pear tree,” while [name]Oscar[/name] means “deer lover.” Here are my choices:

[name]Everett[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] [name]Perry[/name] - [[name]Everett[/name] - English - “wild boar herd”]
[name]Lionel[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] [name]Perry[/name] - [[name]Lionel[/name] - English - “lion”]
[name]Oscar[/name] [name]Lionel[/name] [name]Perry[/name] - REVERSE ABOVE = [name]LOVE[/name]!
[name]Madigan[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] [name]Perry[/name] - [[name]Madigan[/name] - Irish - “dog, mastiff”]
[name]Oscar[/name] [name]Madigan[/name] [name]Perry[/name] - REVERSE ABOVE = [name]LOVE[/name]!

Moving on to the girls, [name]Cleo[/name] [name]Rose[/name] [name]Perry[/name] is cute, yes, but [name]Cleo[/name] (or [name]Clio[/name]) just seems so incomplete to me! I think it might be a nice nickname, but I think you need a “real” first name with presence, personally.

[name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Perry[/name] is pretty, and I like the repetition of Y’s in the name. It is classic and elegant without trying too hard, and [name]Evie[/name] is cute - but, [name]Evie[/name] [name]Perry[/name] is slightly ridiculous sounding, so I’m not in love with it. [name]Evelyn[/name] does carry on your animal meanings from the boy’s section, with a lovely message about birds!

[name]Helena[/name] ([name]Rose[/name]) [name]Perry[/name] is gorgeous, and I absolutely love it! Yes, there are pronunciation issues with this name, though. I’m not sure which way you pronounce it, but as far as I know, there are two accepted pronunciations, 1) [name]HELEN[/name]-ah, and 2) heh-[name]LAY[/name]-nuh. I personally use the previous, but both are lovely! Rather than the [name]Leni[/name] nickname, you might consider [name]Lena[/name], as [name]Leni[/name] [name]Perry[/name], again, is slightly ridiculous.

[name]Stella[/name] [name]Perry[/name] is pretty, but if you think it sounds harsh, then it has got to go. Honestly, I prefer [name]Estella[/name], if only for the literary connection to [name]Estella[/name] Havisham in [name]Charles[/name] Dickens’ Great Expectations. [name]Love[/name] it! [name]Estella[/name] is classy and elegant yet still unique. You could nickname her [name]Stella[/name], too! I really love this name!

Now, again, I don’t want to leave you without suggestions - even though I’m in love with [name]Estella[/name] [name]Perry[/name]. So, without further ado, here are my [name]Baby[/name] Girl [name]Perry[/name] choices:

[name]Georgia[/name] [name]Perry[/name] - [[name]Georgia[/name] - English - “farmer”]
[name]Myla[/name] [name]Perry[/name] - [[name]Myla[/name] - English - “merciful”]
[name]Tessa[/name] [name]Perry[/name] - [[name]Tessa[/name] - English - “harvester”]

[name]Elaina[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Perry[/name] - [[name]Elaina[/name] - Greek - Form of [name]HELEN[/name]]
[name]Eudora[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] [name]Perry[/name] - [[name]Eudora[/name] - Greek - “excellent gift”]

Good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name]

Thanks for the responses so far! Forgot to mention that we both love the name [name]Alessia[/name] for a girl, but worry it’ll be mistaken for the dreaded “A-leesh-a/E-leesh-a” in the States!

[name]Theodore[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] (nn [name]Theo[/name]/[name]Teddy[/name]): I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Theodore[/name] so much! [name]LOVE[/name]!!! ([name]Theodore[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] doesn’t have the best flow to me because both of the names end in an R sound, though…I love [name]Theodore[/name] too much to pass it up, though!)

[name]Oscar[/name]: I think it’s handsome, and I love how it honors someone special.

[name]Milo[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] Maxmilian: I love [name]Milo[/name]! What about [name]Milo[/name] Maxmilian [name]Perry[/name], to break up the Os in [name]Milo[/name] and [name]Oscar[/name] and avoid MOM? If [name]Milo[/name] is a bad name for you because of the milk (I’m in the U.S., so I’ve never heard of the milk), you may also like [name]Miles[/name], although [name]Miles[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] doesn’t have the best flow to me.

[name]Leo[/name] [name]Oscar[/name]: I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Leo[/name] so much, but [name]Leo[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] doesn’t have the best flow to me. (Plus, all three names have two syllables.) Then again, when I say it out loud, I don’t have to pause between [name]Leo[/name] and [name]Oscar[/name] because of the back-to-back Os.

[name]Rex[/name] [name]Oscar[/name]: This doesn’t flow well to me because of the K sounds in both names.

More you may like (sorry for repeats):

[name]Benjamin[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] [name]Perry[/name]
[name]Elliot[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] [name]Perry[/name]
[name]Everett[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] [name]Perry[/name]
[name]Julian[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] [name]Perry[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] [name]Perry[/name]
[name]William[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] [name]Perry[/name]

[name]Oscar[/name] [name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Oscar[/name] [name]Elias[/name]
[name]Oscar[/name] [name]William[/name]

I think the flow sounds great with a longer first name. If you don’t mind every name having two syllables, you may also like [name]Oscar[/name] [name]Vincent[/name].

[name]Cleo[/name] [name]Rose[/name]: I love [name]Cleo[/name], and I love [name]Rose[/name] as a first name, but it’s the #1 middle name in the U.S…

[name]Cleo[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Cleo[/name] [name]Madeleine[/name]

(I think a longer middle flows great with [name]Perry[/name]!)

[name]Evelyn[/name] ??? (nn [name]Evie[/name]): I think it’s pretty…

[name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Frances[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Margo[/name]/[name]Margot[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]

[name]Helena[/name] ??? (probably discounted as too many people will mispronounce it): I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Helena[/name], but it does have three pronunciations…I also love the [name]Nell[/name] and [name]Ellie[/name] nicknames.

[name]Helena[/name] [name]Camille[/name]
[name]Helena[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Helena[/name] [name]Jane[/name] (then again, lots of N)
[name]Helena[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]

[name]Stella[/name] (I think this sounds quite ‘harsh’): I’ll skip it because you don’t like it…

[name]Estella[/name] (undecided!): I think it’s pretty…

[name]Gracie[/name]: I think it’s a cute nickname for [name]Grace[/name]…

[name]Bella[/name]: With [name]Isabella[/name] being the #2 name and [name]Bella[/name] being a popular character from Twilight, some of the others on your list sound frehser to me.

[name]Tessa[/name]: I think it’s cute…

[name]Tessa[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] (oops…the Care and [name]Per[/name] rhyme…)
[name]Tessa[/name] [name]Madeleine[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]

More girls’ names you may like:

[name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name] (then again, the b so close to P for [name]Perry[/name] isn’t the best to me…)
[name]Clementine[/name] (nn [name]Cleo[/name])
[name]Cordelia[/name] (nn [name]Cora[/name])
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Genvieve[/name] (nn [name]Evie[/name])
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Margo[/name]/[name]Margot[/name]/[name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile: (And sorry for any repeats!) :slight_smile:

So far, for boys, our shortlist is:
[name]Theodore[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] (nn [name]Theo[/name]/[name]Teddy[/name]) - Doesn’t sound Greek where I live. I live in Southern [name]California[/name].
[name]Oscar[/name] ??? - I love [name]Oscar[/name]
[name]Milo[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] Maxmilian - What about [name]Miles[/name] since [name]Milo[/name] is a chocolate milk drink?
[name]Leo[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] - love, love [name]Lionel[/name] and [name]Leopold[/name] even more with the nn [name]Leo[/name].
[name]Rex[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] - so handsome. Would work in the U.S. All these names would work where I live.
What about
[name]Archer[/name] nn [name]Archie[/name]
[name]Clive[/name]
[name]Declan[/name]
[name]Jules[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Victor[/name]
[name]William[/name]

GIRLS
[name]Cleo[/name] [name]Rose[/name] (not sure about the middle name!) - [name]Rose[/name] as a mn is so common. I wouldn’t use it. [name]Cleo[/name] [name]Jane[/name], [name]Cleo[/name] [name]Blythe[/name], [name]Cleo[/name] [name]Maeve[/name].
[name]Evelyn[/name] ??? (nn [name]Evie[/name]) - love so much!
[name]Helena[/name] ??? (probably discounted as too many people will mispronounce it) - [name]How[/name] do you pronounce [name]Helena[/name]? I pronounce it HELL-in-uh.
[name]Stella[/name] (I think this sounds quite ‘harsh’) - yeah, I think [name]Stella[/name] sounds kind of intense. It’s pretty, though. I wouldn’t name my own child [name]Stella[/name], but I appreciate it in someone else’s family.
[name]Estella[/name] (undecided!) - I love [name]Estella[/name]
[name]Gracie[/name]
[name]Bella[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name] - pretty

What about
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Edith[/name] nn [name]Edie[/name]

Any help would be hugely appreciated: we don’t want to be those ‘wait till we see the baby to name them’ parents as the poor mite will never get a moniker![/quote]

I think [name]Alessia[/name] is beautiful, but I totally understand your worries. Hmm…I bet most people will pronounce it right, especially because the beginning is spelled [name]Ales[/name] intstead of Alic, but I guess there’s always a chance of a-LESH-uh. I think [name]Alessia[/name] is gorgeous, though! :slight_smile:

[name]Do[/name] you like [name]Allegra[/name]? [name]Alessandra[/name]?

Good luck! :slight_smile:

To overcome that problem go with [name]Alessandra[/name] nn of [name]Alessa[/name].

Boys in [name]Oz[/name]

[name]Jasper[/name] is well liked
[name]Noah[/name] too
[name]Oscar[/name] is rarely seen
[name]Jacob[/name] is loved
[name]Lachlan[/name] too
[name]Levi[/name] is getting popular but never seen a [name]Leo[/name] or a [name]Lionel[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]/ie loved
as is
[name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Jackson[/name]
[name]Lucas[/name]

[name]Owen[/name] is liked and probably will become more popular

[name]Curtis[/name] [name]Perry[/name] would be nice and not common here either but fits across the board.

I love [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] nn [name]Theo[/name] (I don’t really like the idea of [name]Teddy[/name] [name]Perry[/name]) and jill’s suggestion of [name]Elliott[/name] [name]Oscar[/name].

For girls, I really like [name]Cleo[/name] but I think a longer middle name might be more interesting. [name]Do[/name] you have any family you’d like to honor as with [name]Oscar[/name]? Otherwise, how about [name]Cleo[/name] [name]Roseanna[/name], [name]Cleo[/name] [name]Helena[/name], [name]Cleo[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name]? I also like [name]Evelyn[/name] as a first name but agree with pp that I would avoid nn ending in the -y sound as they seem a little sing-songy with [name]Perry[/name].

Good luck!

Thanks all! You’ve come up with some great suggestions. For a girl, [name]Cleo[/name], [name]Helena[/name] and [name]Evelyn[/name] are my faves - I agree that [name]Rose[/name] is too common for a MN. What do you think of:
[name]Cleo[/name] [name]Helena[/name]
[name]Cleo[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Cleo[/name] [name]Iris[/name]
[name]Cleo[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name]

or [name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Isla[/name]

Maybe
[name]Helena[/name] (I pronounce it He-[name]LAY[/name]-na) [name]Cleo[/name]
[name]Helena[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Helena[/name] [name]Grace[/name] (sounds lovely but [name]Grace[/name] is sooo common as a MN!)

For a boy, I’m leaning towards [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] or [name]Oscar[/name] ???. So hard to decide! x

Hello

I’m from Australia so I understand where you are coming from.

[name]Milo[/name] is definitely related to the milk so I wouldn’t use it. Plus alot of people associate it with the movie [name]Milo[/name] and [name]Otis[/name]. [name]Milo[/name] was a cute kitten in the movie.

I think [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] ([name]Theo[/name]) is a great name. [name]Remember[/name] though if you use it, you can never use [name]Cleo[/name] for a future daughter! haha
[name]Estella[/name] [name]Perry[/name] doesn’t flow well for me. [name]Alessia[/name] is very pretty or perhaps just [name]Alexa[/name].

[name]Hugo[/name] is very trendy in Australia these days and often has brothers named [name]Jack[/name] and [name]Charlie[/name]. [name]Oscar[/name] suits it beautifully.

[name]Helena[/name] will be mispronounced. [name]How[/name] about ‘[name]Soraya[/name]’?

Some more names to think about…

[name]Hudson[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] [name]Perry[/name]
[name]Roman[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] [name]Perry[/name]
[name]Sullivan[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] [name]Perry[/name]

[name]Willow[/name] [name]Perry[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name] [name]Perry[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name] [name]Perry[/name]

I really love:
[name]Cleo[/name] [name]Helena[/name]
[name]Cleo[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Helena[/name] [name]Cleo[/name]
[name]Helena[/name] [name]Grace[/name] - I agree, [name]Grace[/name] is so common, but this name is stunning.

For a boy, I’m leaning towards [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] or [name]Oscar[/name] ???. So hard to decide! x

[name]Helena[/name] [name]Cleo[/name] is gorgeous! I love it!

I also like [name]Cleo[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name] and [name]Cleo[/name] [name]Helena[/name].

I think [name]Cleo[/name] [name]Helena[/name] is beautiful! and [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] really stands out to me as well. Although pp is right that with these two favorite first names, you’ll never end up with both!

I like the names but I think these names are very cute

[name]Austyn[/name]
[name]Shawn[/name]
[name]Evan[/name]
[name]Declan[/name]
[name]Nicholas[/name]
[name]Shane[/name]
[name]Roger[/name]
[name]Colton[/name]

Girls:

Victoia
[name]Ellen[/name]
[name]Samantha[/name]
Eliss
[name]Amerie[/name]
[name]Collette[/name]
Lucyndra
[name]Madyson[/name] ella
[name]Florence[/name] –
Adisson [name]Mae[/name]
Rylinn
[name]Opal[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name]

[name]Theodore[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] is so wonderful!

[name]Oscar[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Oscar[/name] [name]Julian[/name]
[name]Oscar[/name] [name]Phineas[/name]
[name]Oscar[/name] [name]Thaddeus[/name]