Baby Girl Emersyn

My fiance and I are in love with the name [name]Emersyn[/name] for a girl. We like the [name]Emer/name ending as a more “girly” form of the name. What do you think? Is the spelling too, I don’t know “trendy”?

We also can’t decide on a middle name. We are throwing around [name]Kaia[/name] or [name]Kai[/name]. We would like it to be something a bit unique. Our last name is Sorenson (pronounced Sore-in-son). I know the [name]Emersyn[/name] Sorenson is a bit repetative, but we [name]LOVE[/name] the name. She would be Called [name]Emmy[/name].

We are much less decisive on a boys name. We can’t agree on anything! My current favorite Is [name]Beckett[/name] [name]James[/name]. My fiance says NO [name]WAY[/name]!! The only name we can sort of agree on is [name]Skylar[/name] [name]Jett[/name]. I would prefer [name]Schuyler[/name], but again fiance say no. I am not sold on the name [name]Skylar[/name]. Any suggestions along those lines. I don’t want anything too popular, but not too crazy either. The middle name can be more creative.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!!!

girls names
[name]Emersyn[/name]
[name]Willow[/name]
[name]Finley[/name]

boys names
[name]Beckett[/name]
[name]Sullivan[/name]
[name]Tate[/name]

I’m generally not a huge fan of unisex or cross-over names, but I do really like [name]Emerson[/name] nn [name]Emmy[/name]. [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Kaia[/name] is a nice combo, too!
You’re right, adding the trendy ‘y’ does nothing for it, though… it just looks misspelled and I’d pronounce the names differently as, phonetically, an ‘o’ can’t be swapped out for a ‘y’. [name]Emerson[/name] Sorenson is a bit too sing-songy, but sounds like you love it.

I really love [name]Willow[/name], so that’s the name I’d choose from your girl’s list (It’s a name I can’t get my hubby on board with, so I’m jealous!). [name]Willow[/name] [name]Kaia[/name], [name]Willow[/name] [name]Finley[/name] and [name]Willow[/name] [name]Emerson[/name] all sound great. [name]Just[/name] sayin’ :slight_smile:

I like your boys names… [name]Tate[/name] is wonderful and [name]Sullivan[/name] is fun. What about [name]Tate[/name] [name]Beckett[/name] or [name]Tate[/name] [name]Sullivan[/name]? I’d suggest [name]Tate[/name] [name]Skylar[/name], but I know a girl, about 17, named [name]Skylar[/name] [name]Tate[/name]. In fact, all the [name]Skylar[/name]/Schuylers I know are girls. That might be something to consider for future siblings… [name]Skylar[/name] and [name]Emerson[/name] could be a gender confusing pair.

[name]Hope[/name] that helps… good luck!

I think [name]Willow[/name] and [name]Tate[/name] are great with Sorenson. [name]Tate[/name] Sorenson sounds like a movie hero to me. In a good way.

As far as [name]Emersyn[/name] goes, though, I have to agree with the above: Y and O are not interchangeable. [name]Emerson[/name] is the more legitimate name, but it seems to compete with Sorenson instead of complementing it. It sounds to me like you’re choosing the first name in spite of the last name. And Sorenson is such an enviably stylish last name!

One thing about [name]Willow[/name] that I can no longer keep to myself: while I like the name very much, I can’t use it for my own daughter because I’m not reasonably confident that my husband and I will produce “willowy” offspring. I think the name [name]Willow[/name] could be a bit of an albatross for a girl with a stocky or solid build. Like the name [name]Ebony[/name] on a blonde girl–but worse. Does that sound crazy?

Sorry, but I really dislike [name]Emersyn[/name]. You’re right, it looks trendy and not very classy. [name]Emerson[/name] is better, but [name]Emerson[/name] Sorenson is just not a good idea [name]IMO[/name]. The nn [name]Emmy[/name] is really cute, but I would get to it another way. I think [name]Emmaline[/name] Sorenson, nn [name]Emmy[/name], would be fantastic. Does that appeal to you at all? [name]Emilia[/name] could be another option. I really like [name]Willow[/name], and don’t think that a non-willowy [name]Willow[/name] would have much of a problem… it’s not an adjective you hear everyday, so that’s not what comes to mind when I hear the name. [name]Finley[/name] not quite my style, but it’s cute and goes well with your last name.

Again, sorry to be negative but I’m not a fan of [name]Skylar[/name]. I agree with pp that it is often seen as a girls’ name, and would be especially confusing if your daughter has a unisex name. I don’t think [name]Schuyler[/name] really helps matters, though. Your other boy names are so much nicer. I love your pick of [name]Beckett[/name] [name]James[/name]-- sorry your husband isn’t on board! [name]Tate[/name] Sorenson is fantastic. If your husband really loves [name]Skylar[/name], how about using it in the middle? [name]Tate[/name] [name]Skylar[/name] is great. I love [name]Sullivan[/name] too, but not sure it’s great with your last name. You like [name]Finley[/name] for a girl-- would you consider [name]Finn[/name] for a boy instead? Or [name]Findlay[/name]? [name]Finn[/name] [name]Skylar[/name] Sorenson is great.

I hope I didn’t come off as harsh-- I would just hate to see you choose [name]Emersyn[/name] or [name]Skylar[/name] when you have other options that would be SO much nicer. Good luck! :slight_smile:

I really like the name [name]Emerson[/name] for a girl, but not with the “y”. However, with your last name, I would go with [name]Emma[/name], [name]Emily[/name], [name]Emilia[/name], or [name]Emmeline[/name] for the nn [name]Emmy[/name]. You could also name her [name]Emme[/name] (pronounced [name]Emmy[/name]). [name]Emme[/name] Sorensen looks and sounds wonderful! :slight_smile:

I [name]LOVE[/name] the choices [name]Willow[/name] and [name]Tate[/name]! They are adorable and sound great with your last name.

[name]Emerson[/name]/[name]Emersyn[/name] is a trendy name to me, especially spelled with the ‘y’…I also think it sounds too sing-songy with your last name. But if you both love it, go for it! I would spell it ‘[name]Emerson[/name]’ though. If you do choose [name]Emerson[/name], I would use [name]Kaia[/name] over [name]Kai[/name], because I have seen a lot of boys named [name]Kai[/name], and [name]Emerson[/name] needs a very feminine middle name [name]IMO[/name].

I think the problem I have is not with the fact that [name]Emerson[/name] and Sorenson rhyme, but that they’re also the same exact number of syllables. For example another poster is considering [name]Jasper[/name] Drinkwater for her son, but it doesn’t bother me because the first and last name have a different number of syllables. [name]Jasper[/name] [name]Parker[/name] would be worse. With Sorenson, I would avoid anything that ends in ‘-son’, especially if it’s three syllables. [name]Grayson[/name] Sorenson wouldn’t be horrible, because they have a different number of syllables. See? I know how horrible it is to have to forego a name because of your LN… I can’t use [name]Roland[/name] because my hubby’s LN is Hoagland, and it would just be awful. [name]WAY[/name] worse than [name]Emerson[/name] Sorenson. On the same note, changing the O for a Y doesn’t really bother me because it happens ALL the time. [name]Don[/name]'t get me wrong, I’m definitely a name purist, but this one really doesn’t bug me. [name]Do[/name] it if you like it that way better.

Anyway, ways to get to [name]Emmy[/name] without [name]Emerson[/name]… You could use [name]Emma[/name], [name]Emily[/name], or [name]Emmaline[/name], or you could just go with [name]Emme[/name]. There’s also [name]Emery[/name], which has the same kind of feel but doesn’t rhyme with your last name. Or, you could be really bold and just name her [name]Emmy[/name], but that kind of prevents her from having a ‘real’ name to use if she gets bored of it. If you like the name [name]Kaia[/name], I think [name]Kaia[/name] Sorenson is a really cool name for a little girl, and isn’t that popular. [name]Kaia[/name] [name]Emersyn[/name] Sorenson would be kind of cute, and you could still call her [name]Emmy[/name] if you wanted. For a boy, I like [name]Tate[/name]. [name]Sullivan[/name] is really handsome, but NOT with Sorenson. [name]Sullivan[/name] Sorenson sounds like [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Bedelia[/name], and [name]Beckett[/name] is okay. I just like [name]Tate[/name] the best.

I agree with other posters that a different [name]Em[/name]- name would be much better, especially with your last name, but you seem to be totally in love with it, so I guess you should go with it anyway. However, DEFINITELY spell it [name]Emerson[/name]. The y spelling makes it look illiterate, not girly. It isn’t a girly name no matter how you spell it, so save her some trouble and spell it with an o.
As for the middle name, I would definitely go with [name]Kaia[/name] over [name]Kai[/name]. [name]Kai[/name] is very masculine to me, as is [name]Emersyn[/name]/on, so I’d automatically assume [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Kai[/name] was a boy. [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Kaia[/name] would make me think girl. You definitely want at least one undeniably feminine name just to keep it from being confusing.
As for your boys names, I actually love [name]Beckett[/name] [name]James[/name]. I’d keep it on the table because it’s infinitely better than [name]Skylar[/name] [name]Jett[/name]. And if he insists, make him let you choose the spelling- it’s only fair. Come to think of it, I’ve only ever met female [name]Skylar[/name]/[name]Skyler[/name]/Schuylers- if I saw siblings [name]Emerson[/name] and [name]Skylar[/name] I’d think [name]Emerson[/name] was a boy and [name]Skylar[/name] was a girl.

PS- I really like your boys list!

Oooh Finally someone that love [name]Finley[/name] as a girls name!!! Id use that!

I love the name [name]Emerson[/name], but not with the Y. I’m a teacher and have met one little girl with this name, her parents spelled it ‘Emersen’, so that would always be an option for you. But I think the name itself sounds beautiful with your last name, I don’t think it’s a big deal if they are the same # of syllables.
[name]Love[/name] [name]Tate[/name], but no offense, [name]Skylar[/name] is a name that I would never choose. I’ve taught two Skylars (both female), and they were both a little spacey and flowery, like their heads were lost in the sky instead of being in the classroom :wink:

[name]Emersyn[/name] does look trendy. I like the [name]Emerson[/name] or Emersen much better. Give her a frilly middle name if you want to make the name sound more feminine but I would ditch the ‘y’. Have you considered [name]Emery[/name]? I think it sounds better with your last name. Good luck!

[name]Emerson[/name] Sorenson sounds like a law firm and not a little girl. [name]Remember[/name] that your daughter’s name will be spoken much more often than it will be written. The double -son ending makes the name sound very masculine and no, changing the O to a Y does not help. My advice would be to use [name]Emerson[/name] as her middle name.

I like [name]Emerson[/name] (over [name]Emersyn[/name]) but NOT [name]Emerson[/name] Sorenson. I like [name]Emmeline[/name] Sorenson better or other [name]Em[/name]- names as suggested.

I’d have thought [name]Skylar[/name] is a girl rather than a boy.

I like [name]Beckett[/name] or [name]Tate[/name] for a boy (I like [name]Tate[/name] better). While [name]Sullivan[/name] is fine, [name]Sullivan[/name] Sorenson is a bit too rhythmy.

I have to say I really dislike [name]Emersyn[/name], and even [name]Emerson[/name] on a girl. Especially [name]Emerson[/name] Sorenson or any other version/spelling of that name. You may like the first name, but it really doesn’t work with your last name. I would suggest that you keep looking and come back with some other options to discuss. I’m sure you will find a name you love more than [name]Emersyn[/name].

Any time a e or i is changed to a Y its trendy and looks wrong to me. [name]Emersyn[/name] Sorenson does not sound great. I think you should avoid all names that end in “son”. [name]Emmy[/name] is a very cute nn and there is many ways to get that nn: [name]Emmeline[/name], [name]Emilia[/name] and [name]Emma[/name]. Shylar I think has gone t the girls. I like [name]Tate[/name] for a boy!

geez - people are getting a little harsh on this site recently!!

I like [name]Emersyn[/name] and you’d definitely want to do that spelling w/ your last name so you don’t have “son” and “son” at the end of both the first and last names. My last name ends in “son” too so I completely understand.

I have a friend who just had a little girl named [name]Emersyn[/name] [name]Kate[/name] - sooooooo cute! I love that combination and would love it w/ your last name.

Would you consider [name]Finley[/name] or [name]Kai[/name] for a boys name? I have only seen [name]Skylar[/name] (spelled that way) for girls.

best of luck!! :slight_smile: