Baby Girl Name - Reba - Thoughts?

Hello!

Not pregnant yet but trying to #2! I was feeling nostalgic and listened to some of my favorite older country music and of course am always pulled to [name_f]Reba[/name_f] McEntire. As I was listening I started to get curious about the name [name_f]Reba[/name_f], and how people feel about it. I was surprised to find very few, if any actual forums regarding it. [name_m]Even[/name_m] the origin seems flaky. Some citing it just means “fourth child” others indicating it is a short form of [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]. I would like more opinions - what do you think of the name [name_f]Reba[/name_f]? I think it is a pretty name, and doesn’t have any negative associations I know of. A little outdated maybe but I feel like it would be cute on a baby and age well. I could be wrong! Would love honest feed back one way or another. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I love [name_f]Reba[/name_f] McEntire but I don’t care for the name very much. I just don’t like the sound personally. I’ve only met one [name_f]Reba[/name_f] and at first it was a little weird just bc I think the name is so strongly associated with [name_f]Reba[/name_f] McEntire- which isn’t a bad thing. I still think it would be cool to see an uptake in popularity of [name_f]Reba[/name_f].

2 Likes

i’ll be honest and say that the sound just isn’t very attractive to me. i think it could be a cool, unexpected nickname for a name like rebecca, rachel, or beatrice though!

2 Likes

Is it pronounced Ree-buh or Reb-uh?

I like Ree-buh if that’s right. Either way though, it looks like a fun and sparky name

1 Like

Personally I don’t think the sound is very attractive to me, but I also don’t like names like Beatrice or Rebecca either. I think I’m just not a huge fan of the “ee” sound in it. That being said, I think it would be a cool name for someone else to use! If I met a little Reba I’d be excited about it as I do think it’s an adventurous choice and there’s nothing actually objectively wrong with the name.
Also wanted to note that Rebecca Black uses Reba as a nickname and I’ve never thought it was weird, I actually always thought it was cooler than just Becca or Becky.

1 Like

It is “Ree-buh” :slight_smile:

1 Like

I actually really like [name_f]Reba[/name_f] :pleading_face: it has such a fun, swingy feel to it. I always think of someone who’s very lively and the life of the party. I think it would age well on someone! The only person I knew with the name was an older woman, but I could totally see it on a baby and young kid. Overall I like it and it’s vibes :rose::saxophone::sparkles::champagne::mirror_ball:

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Reba[/name_f] McEntire but am iffy on the name itself. I think it could be a very fun nn for [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]. I also love that the name is so tied to [name_f]Reba[/name_f] herself that it embodies her twangy, strong, gentle yet sassy, loving yet quick as a whip personality.

That said, something about the sound is slightly unappealing to me. I don’t know what it is.

1 Like

A friend of mine named [name_f]Rebekah[/name_f] went by [name_f]Reba[/name_f] for many years. I love it. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I think it may be ripe for a comeback! [name_f]Reba[/name_f] has the same vibes to me as [name_f]Betty[/name_f], [name_f]Debbie[/name_f], [name_f]Letty[/name_f], [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f], etc which are all turn-of-century/midcentury names that are on the rise now.

1 Like

I’m right there with you! I get the same feel from it as you are describing. [name_f]Glad[/name_f] I’m not alone! I guess I see why it might not be all over the forums though. I’m getting the impression that we are in the minority of fans for this name.

1 Like

I met a little [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] the other day, and it was so cute on her. Granted one of my aunt-like female role models is a [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] so I may be biased. [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] and [name_f]Reba[/name_f] give me a similar feel. When I hear it on a child it just makes me stop in my tracks… but in a good way!

2 Likes

I have a cousin I adore named [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]. Goes by [name_f]Becca[/name_f], so [name_f]Reba[/name_f] is available but also maybe a cute namesake :slight_smile:

1 Like

[name_f]Reba[/name_f] is sparky and fun. I’ve suggested it a number of times on this forum. I think it’s a great choice for someone looking for underused vintage gems. It makes a fabulous alternative to [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] for instance. I don’t have the [name_f]Reba[/name_f] McEntire association but fewer namesakes tends to correlate with lower usage.

2 Likes

Yes! had [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] on my list for a while but I replaced it with [name_f]Reba[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve always thought it was a short form of [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]. I absolutely adore [name_f]Reba[/name_f] :heart_eyes: and the tie to the country singer! [name_m]Even[/name_m] if you didn’t go with [name_f]Reba[/name_f], [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] would be a sweet alternative with lots of nickname options!

1 Like

I love [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] so would choose it over [name_f]Reba[/name_f]. It feels sweet and a bit softer. [name_f]Reba[/name_f] is so tied to the singer that I think that would be immediately who most people think of.

1 Like

I have a cousin named [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f], and she is called [name_f]Reba[/name_f] 90% of the time. (Pron Reb-uh) I
am not a fan of [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f], but [name_f]Reba[/name_f] is cute. Prefer it pronounced [name_f]Ree[/name_f]- buh.
Xx

1 Like