Baby girl's name to go with brother Austin

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all,
I am due next week with a baby girl. We already have a boy- [name_u]Austin[/name_u] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m].

Our top two names are
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]

We’re not 100% set on either. Neither first name is overly significant, however [name_f]Joy[/name_f] was my husband’s gran’s NN & [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is my mum’s middle name.

Other names we like but think are too common: [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Madeline[/name_f], [name_f]Georgia[/name_f].
We are located in Australia.

I love both of these! Out of the two, my favorite would probably be [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], for it goes better with [name_u]Austin[/name_u] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]. However, [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] is lovely as well!

You also said that you like [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Madeline[/name_f], and [name_f]Georgia[/name_f] but think they’re too common - what do you think about [name_f]Madelaine[/name_f]? Slightly different than [name_f]Madeline[/name_f], but I personally love this name. I think it would work well with [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] too. If you’re into nicknames, [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] could be a potential one, as I think [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] and [name_u]Austin[/name_u] go well together.

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is #1 in Australia and [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] and [name_f]Georgia[/name_f] are not far behind in the top 25, so I’d avoid those if popularity is something that bothers you. [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] doesn’t appear until #86 but [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is not far behind at #98 so, collectively, they’re probably right up there too. Not to mention the other little Maddies via [name_u]Madison[/name_u] (#65)

[name_u]Austin[/name_u] is a Top 100 name in Australia (#58) so you might like something else that’s in the top 100, but outside of the top 25?

[name_f]Olive[/name_f]
[name_u]Charlie[/name_u]
[name_u]Harlow[/name_u]
[name_f]Luna[/name_f]
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Florence[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]
[name_u]Frankie[/name_u]
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]
[name_u]Piper[/name_u]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f]

I love [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] with [name_u]Austin[/name_u], and either [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] and [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] would be lovely.

1 Like

[name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is lovely

[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] is lovely although I like [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] as well. Although if popularity is a concern I’d probably say you should go with [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] instead. [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] is getting more and more popular here - I think last year it was ranked 16? I know in my state it is ranked 13 and I seem to be hearing it everywhere. [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]’s in the top 100 in Australia I think but not quite so high. [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] is such a great name though so if popularity doesn’t bother you too much I’d say go for it!

1 Like

[name_f]Welcome[/name_f]! :smile:

I think it’s worth having a look at the 2019 McCrindle [name_u]Baby[/name_u] Names Australia Report to see the rankings and number of occurrences for yourself. They also have 2017 and 2018 reports if you’re interested in seeing recent movement.

It’s not unusual to perceive a name as more popular or less popular than it actually is because you move in social circles or live in an area where there happens to be a cluster or very few at all. It’s not something we can predict or control. [name_m]Even[/name_m] names that are very low in popularity now might suddenly surge in popularity a few years from now. So I recommend choosing a name you both love and could continue to love even if its popularity rose. Pretend all the names on your shortlist have the same popularity; which one do you like best?

Other names you might like with similar sounds or style: [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], [name_f]Sadie[/name_f], [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f], [name_f]Gemma[/name_f], [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f], [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], [name_f]Coraline[/name_f], [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_f]Millicent[/name_f], [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], [name_f]Willa[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], [name_f]Elodie[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Maisie[/name_f]

I honestly love both of the combos that you have already. What about combining both middles?

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f]
[name_f]Joy[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f]
[name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f]
[name_f]Bethany[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f]

Other suggestions…

[name_f]Adaline[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f]
[name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]

[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] or [name_f]Joy[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] would make a great addition to [name_u]Austin[/name_u] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]. And neither is crazy popular

1 Like

[name_u]Austin[/name_u] and [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] would be adorable! They match much better style wise than [name_u]Austin[/name_u] and [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]. [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] all the way! Other ideas:

[name_u]Blair[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Rachel[/name_f]
[name_f]Brielle[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]

I honestly love both names!! [name_u]Austin[/name_u] & [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_u]Austin[/name_u] & [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] both sound lovely to me, which I know isn’t helpful! I might go with [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] just because I know [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] is very popular in Australia, but both are great choices.

This is an excellent suggestion :heart_eyes: A name honoring both [name_f]Joy[/name_f] and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] would be so sweet and meaningful!
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] and [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] are stunning names. I think I would go with [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f], but you can’t go wrong with this amazing choices. Your daughter will have a beautiful name!

Good luck!

[name_f]My[/name_f] pick from your list would be [name_f]Georgia[/name_f]! But your top two are nice too.

[name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f]
[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Mae[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f]
[name_f]Sadie[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]