Baby name I won't regret?

We’re torn on our baby boy’s name. I have always loved surnames as first names, but I worry about getting caught up in trendiness and something that sounds fresh now but will feel dated in the future. My two unique name contenders are [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] and [name_m]Thayer[/name_m] but also love [name_m]Andrew[/name_m], despite its popularity in my generation. I would love some thoughts on these three names. He will be baby brother to [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]. Many thanks.

I think [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] is my favorite name out of the three, it complements [name_f]Violet[/name_f] very well. About the popularity - might I suggest looking at the SSA’s website? Their data includes the percentage of what babies are given a name rather than just ranking, that might make the prospect of picking a higher ranking name a little less daunting. That said, [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] and [name_m]Thayer[/name_m] are both nice names and I don’t think you can go wrong with either, I do prefer the [name_m]Layton[/name_m] spelling but that’s just personal preference.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I think if you’re looking to stay away from a trendy name, [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] should probably be off the table. It’s trendy & popular for boys & girls w/multiple spellings. I’ve never met/heard a [name_m]Thayer[/name_m], so that’s bit more unique. [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] is a great classic name; still very common though. But not trendy…it’s been common for a long time.

Let me know if you want some suggestions. :slight_smile: .

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps!

I think you could end up regretting [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] it has a very trendy sound and could end up sounding outdated. [name_m]Thayer[/name_m] is very nice, it’s strong and unique without being too much.

Suggestions…
[name_u]Lennon[/name_u]
[name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]
[name_m]Holden[/name_m]
[name_m]Brooks[/name_m]
[name_m]Harrison[/name_m]
[name_u]Kiernan[/name_u]
[name_m]Adler[/name_m]
[name_m]Beckett[/name_m]

My favorite from your list is [name_m]Thayer[/name_m]. [name_u]Unique[/name_u] but easy to spell and pronounce and it isn’t a trendy name. I would probably cross of [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] as it is pretty trendy and is growing in popularity for girls. [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] is a classic name but lacks excitement for me. Would you consider [name_m]Anderson[/name_m]? A similar sound and it is a surname as a name.

Names you might like:
[name_m]Brooks[/name_m]
[name_m]Quentin[/name_m]
[name_u]Brighton[/name_u]
[name_m]Winston[/name_m]
[name_m]Wesley[/name_m]
[name_u]Jamison[/name_u]
[name_u]Elliott[/name_u]
[name_u]Porter[/name_u]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m]
[name_m]Bennett[/name_m]

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_m]Anders[/name_m] as an alternative to [name_m]Andrew[/name_m]?

I like [name_m]Thayer[/name_m] -it doesn’t feel trendy and i like the sounds!
[name_m]Andrew[/name_m] is also great. It fits well with [name_f]Violet[/name_f], it’s familiar but not overused anymore.

To me, [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] feels trendy whereas [name_m]Thayer[/name_m] is still a surname name but is more solid and grounded. I also think [name_m]Thayer[/name_m] goes beautifully with [name_f]Violet[/name_f]. It’s a somewhat unexpected sibset, but I think they work so well together. [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] is nice too, but love how strong and unique [name_m]Thayer[/name_m] is.

Thank you! I agree. Writing off [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] and will shortlist to [name_m]Thayer[/name_m] and [name_m]Andrew[/name_m].

I’ve always liked [name_m]Thayer[/name_m] so it gets my vote

I really like [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] [name_u]Leighton[/name_u]! I’m really surprised [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] is considered trendy, it’s my great grandfathers middle name. I also have a grandfather with the middle name [name_m]Layton[/name_m].

I think since [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] is so classic you should go with [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] [name_m]Thayer[/name_m] as the name. Sometimes its hip to be a square.