Baby name regret

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/03/22/baby-name-regret-is-on-rise-expert-says/

What are everyones’ thoughts on this? Have you ever regretted a child’s name? What do you think causes it?

I definitely think name regret is a real thing. I regret some aspects of my DD’s names, but I wouldn’t change them. They “are” their names now.
I’d only change within the first week or two, after that, I think the name is stuck. Family and friends have become accustomed to it, etc.
In hindsight, I’d probably change their middle names if I could go back. Done now though :slight_smile:

I don’t regret my son’s name, but I do know someone who regrets what she named her child. My personal opinion is that people who usually end up regretting their child’s name are the ones who couldn’t decide on a name, then just chose one at the last minute because they felt the child needed a name before being born. Also, I know that a lot of times people regret a name because of how popular it is, but, honestly, with how easy it is to see name trends because of the internet I feel like if it’s that important to you you need to do some research…

Personally I think its because we live in a competitive consumer culture where people want to be trendsetters and are always looking for something bigger and better. The problem is the unique name you chose that’s off the radar may not be as unique as you think or may skyrocket in popularity and some people hate to think that their child will be one of many. Also this can backfire when you’ve chosen a name so cool and secretive that people dont understand it, cant spell it, think its ugly, etc and you end up disliking it.

I am a huge name buff but I think if some people make names too important, like theyre practically counting on a child to excel or have guaranteed personality because they painstakingly chose the right name. If we work on making sure kids stand out for who they are as a person then it really doesnt matter if there are 3 of them in school together.

I understand indecisiveness leading to name regret but honestly I still think thats a case of not wanting to settle because they think something better will come up.

A friend of a friend - who’s last name is [name]Currie[/name] - named her son [name]Zachary[/name] [name]David[/name]. Doesn’t seem like a problem until you say [name]Zachary[/name] [name]Currie[/name] out-loud. She didn’t notice until someone pointed it out to her a week or so after he was born. I do think [name]Zachary[/name] is a lovely name, but not in this circumstance!

I totally agree.

I understand indecisiveness leading to name regret but honestly I still think thats a case of not wanting to settle because they think something better will come up.

This is what I was trying to say in my post (even though it didn’t come across. I think a lot of times, people agonize over what name to choose, but still have this feeling of being rushed. I say this because my step-sister is currently pregnant with her first boy, and she’s made a couple of posts on FB about how they haven’t chosen a name, and he’ll be here in a month, so they really need to pick something out.

I may be a little slow here, but how does this sound really bad? Is it because both names have that “curry” sound?

I dont see the problem with [name]Zachary[/name] [name]Currie[/name] either

Ha I have ALSO been sitting here saying it fast…LOL! Maybe the y sounds? Or someone famous we don’t know???

I love my daughter’s name and wouldn’t change it for the world. But my cousin has been feeling name regret for years, ever since her first child [name]Lara[/name] was born–the name is okay, but she loathes the connection that it is the name of her partner’s ex fiancee who passed away. But as she never had a name that she truly liked, she was pressured into using it.

She chose the name for their second child, and now they are expecting their third.

I’m glad I’ve never been that sort of situation, but it can happen. :frowning:

Neither do I, sounds fine together.

That’s a lot of ‘curry’ in one name! Not awful though, he could just go by [name]Zach[/name].

THIS
And I also think that the name is really the only part of the entire pregnancy/labor/delivery/infancy process that parents have control over…so dissatisfaction with how your birth went (for example a planned natural birth that turns into a C) or dissatisfaction in how things went after the baby gets here (planned to breastfeed but couldn’t or never imagined what a colicy baby is like!) could be projected on to the name choice…since that’s an actual thing that you can change or fix.

lol, that makes it worse! [name]Zach[/name] [name]Currie[/name] just sounds like [name]Zachary[/name]. :slight_smile:

[name]Love[/name] this reply! You worded it so well. I agree with this.

I have regret, but I think it is because I never have much say.

[name]How[/name] do you not have a say? Why are you having children with someone who gives you no say over their names, and why did you give someone that much power over yourself? This just doesn’t compute with me.

Honestly, I do regret the name of my youngest. He was born in [name]January[/name], but I still have troubles saying his name, or even worse, tell other people what his name is. It doesn’t feel right, and it’s way too common. I didn’t want names from the top 100, but we ended up naming our youngest [name]James[/name]. It’s a good name and all, but not for him. Not for us. But yeah, he already got his name and we can’t really change it now.

I’m happy with [name]Jasper[/name] and [name]Melina[/name] though, the names of my other two children. I’m not so happy with [name]Melina[/name]'s middle names though, they are too many and I chosed them because I thought I would never have another child. But at least they suit her and they have a special meaning to me.

I think thetxbelle has it right. I didn’t have internet access when I was pg with our first, and I think I looked at a baby name book or two from the library, but that was it. We went with a family name. I didn’t do much looking around for #2, and in the end, we went with a name that hadn’t been on our list before he was born. But with each kid after that, I spent more time looking around online, and I was more aware of what names were popular, and I put more importance on the name being appealing and uncommon.

With our youngest, I was more used to really uncommon names, simply because I was looking through lists of them over and over again, and I think that for both dh and I, if we didn’t have to agree with a spouse, we would have chosen a name that was too out-there and maybe regretted it. In the end, we went with [name]Luke[/name] for this little guy. I hesitated over it because it seemed so much more common than our other names, but I’ve only actually known two [name]Lukes[/name] in my whole life (one [name]Luke[/name], one [name]Luc[/name]). It is a common name in books and movies and shows, though, which is odd for me, but not as big of a deal (so far) than I thought it would be.

It is hard not to feel like there might be the perfect name out there and you just haven’t found it yet, but when we were coming up on him being a week old, I decided we had done all the research we could and just had to choose. It came down to either [name]Luke[/name] or a less-common name, and I was totally undecided, but part of my hesitation over using [name]Luke[/name] instead of a less-common name was how it would reflect on our taste, and that it didn’t seem to fit with the other kids’ names. But I thought it would be more likely for him to like the name [name]Luke[/name] than the less-common name that I maybe liked more.