Baby name Viggo - Hubby Not on Board

Hello Berries! :raising_hand_woman:t3: [name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_f]Claire[/name_f] and I just joined this forum. We lost our son [name_m]Peter[/name_m] a while back at 24 weeks gestation, and he passed away at 9 days old :cry::angel:t2:We are soon to have another boy but are stumped on a name. :neutral_face:

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I both use to love traditional baby boy names, in particular Biblical names, but recentlyā€¦I donā€™t know, something has changed and I just canā€™t stand traditional names! Maybe because we researched them to much in the past? [name_u]Or[/name_u] I know too many people with these names??? :thinking:

Either way, my husband still only likes traditional male names. The best he has come up with is [name_u]William[/name_u]. :dotted_line_face: For runners up he is ā€œokā€ with [name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m] or [name_m]Abraham[/name_m]. [name_u]Zeke[/name_u] and [name_m]Abe[/name_m] are cute, but I canā€™t picture my son with those name. Plus, I really DONā€™T want to use a biblical name. They all feel too old or overused to me now.

The ONLY name that I like is [name_m]Viggo[/name_m] :revolving_hearts: (pronounced VEE-go). I think it sounds strong, sweet and intelligent. It makes me think of [name_u]Vigor[/name_u], and life. Losing our baby, these traits in a name are important to me.

Unfortunately, my husband dislikes it. He thinks itā€™s weird. He says he thinks itā€™s a name that other kids will make fun of him for, and beat him up on the playground :roll_eyes: We havenā€™t been reaching any common ground here. :woman_shrugging:t3:

What have you done when you and your partner disagree on a name, and canā€™t find one you both like? In an ideal situation, I would convince him to like [name_m]Viggo[/name_m], without forcing it on him. I know, ultimately in these decisions, he defaults them to me (he frequently calls me ā€œThe Bossā€ :joy:, and I picked Peterā€™s name) but I want him to like our childā€™s name too. šŸ«¶šŸ»

[name_m]Viggo[/name_m] is a cool name and I quite enjoy it - itā€™s sparky and lively!

A few ideas:

You could do something like [name_m]Viggo[/name_m] [name_u]William[/name_u] or [name_u]William[/name_u] [name_m]Viggo[/name_m] (and you call him Viggo) - then he has one traditional name and one more unique one!

Find a more unique/less Biblical name thatā€™s like [name_m]Viggo[/name_m] in sound, but that your husband might like too! For example: [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], [name_m]Vincent[/name_m], [name_m]Victor[/name_m], [name_m]Bruno[/name_m], Miles/Mil [name_m]Otto[/name_m], [name_m]Otis[/name_m]

Find something you both like that could have [name_m]Viggo[/name_m] as a nickname? Like [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] [name_m]Gideon[/name_m], [name_m]Vance[/name_m] [name_m]Gideon[/name_m]?

Find something with the same ā€˜vibeā€™ as [name_m]Viggo[/name_m] (lively, vigorous, strong and sweet): [name_m]Magnus[/name_m], [name_u]Valentine[/name_u], [name_m]Albert[/name_m] ā€˜Albieā€™, [name_m]Malachi[/name_m], [name_m]Roland[/name_m], [name_m]Casper[/name_m]

2 Likes

I agree with your husband, ā€œViggoā€ is not a name that would fare well as an adult or older kid. It sounds like some kind of healthy granola bar or something. Also, you should find a name that you and your husband BOTH like and agree on. Maybe you can compromise with an uncommon, but well established name that was popular at some previous time but is uncommon today. Also, you could give him a real, traditional name that he can use at school and when heā€™s an adult, and you can call him ā€œViggoā€ as a nickname. [name_f]My[/name_f] cousin is officially named [name_m]Oskar[/name_m] but has been called ā€œBarleyā€ since before he was born and still is at 13, so if he likes being called that, he could even keep using it, but have a real name for a backup.

Iā€™m very sorry for your loss. I completely relate to your love of the name [name_m]Viggo[/name_m], and I can totally understand the importance of the vitality in the name being important to you.

To give your husband the opportunity to normalize this traditional and well used Scandinavian name, you could ask him to Google notable people named [name_m]Viggo[/name_m]. Olympic athletes, mathematics etc, all bearing the name may help to normalize the unusual sounds. Are you in the US? However, if his feelings about the name and/or naming your son [name_m]Viggo[/name_m] donā€™t change, then hereā€™s a few similar names you might like to think about:
[name_m]Victor[/name_m]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m]
[name_m]Vaughan[/name_m]
[name_m]Vance[/name_m]
[name_u]Vern[/name_u], [name_u]Vernon[/name_u]
[name_m]Finlo[/name_m]
[name_u]Marlo[/name_u], Marlow(e), [name_u]Arlo[/name_u]
[name_u]Jasper[/name_u]
[name_u]Aven[/name_u]
[name_u]Roscoe[/name_u]

I hope you soon settle on a name you both love for you boy!

1 Like

[name_m]Viggo[/name_m] Mortensen did ok :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I understand you wanting him to like the name, but I think he should cede to you in this. You have both had a terrible loss and his kindness in this would be great. What about [name_m]Valerian[/name_m]? [name_m]Victor[/name_m]? [name_u]Vernon[/name_u]? [name_m]Vaughan[/name_m]? If not [name_m]Viggo[/name_m], then tell him I said he should let you name the baby.

2 Likes

Thank you for your suggestions. I like the idea of possibly making it a middle name, for [name_u]William[/name_u], or another more traditional name. I had a friend in high school named [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Bailey[/name_u] [name_m]Barker[/name_m], who we all just called [name_u]Bailey[/name_u]. If he doesnā€™t cave to [name_m]Viggo[/name_m] as a first name, I think this is a good option.

Some of the other names you have mentioned, I have also ran by him. Iā€™m reading [name_u]Les[/name_u] Miserables, and so I asked him if he liked either [name_m]Victor[/name_m] or [name_m]Hugh[/name_m]. Both were a negatory.

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband grew up in a very small mid-western-ish town. He was pretty sheltered from the outside world when I met him (he didnā€™t know what even an egg roll was :joy:). Heā€™s made some cultural progress, he ā€œtriesā€ every new foreign food restaurant we go to, but doesnā€™t usually like it. Iā€™m going to keep at it though. I love [name_m]Viggo[/name_m], and hope in time he will too.

1 Like

Right?! And not to be a jerk, but this has been a lot harder on me than him. Iā€™m the one still sad and crying. Heā€™s mostly moved on.

I will tell him what you said, and that will be that. :laughing:

[name_m]Viggo[/name_m] it is!

1 Like

I predict [name_m]Viggo[/name_m] being a name thatā€™s going to rise in popularity due to 1) Itā€™s meaning: [name_u]Warrior[/name_u] 2) Itā€™s popularity in Scandinavian countries (the new Soren) and 3) The long vowel sound of ā€œOhhhā€, on trend with names like [name_u]Arlo[/name_u], [name_u]Leo[/name_u], [name_m]Otto[/name_m], etc

We live in the US so itā€™s less heard of here, but not totally unusual thanks to [name_m]Viggo[/name_m] Mortenson. Iā€™m at the point in my life though where I donā€™t care as much if people like my choices. I hope other people would like my sonā€™s name of [name_m]Viggo[/name_m], but people have hated me for a lot less!! :joy:

Another user suggested a traditional name with [name_m]Viggo[/name_m] as a nickname or middle name too. Might be a good option if hubs and I continue to disagree on this name.

2 Likes

Ok so I tried this tonight. I told him [name_m]Viggo[/name_m] wasnā€™t that unusual of a name and to Google it so he can see famous people who have this name. He Googled ā€œViggo, [name_u]Famous[/name_u] Peopleā€ and came up with a list of Viggoā€™s and their pictures. He scrolled through them then said ā€œI donā€™t know any of these people, other than [name_m]Viggo[/name_m] Mortenson. See, there are no famous people named Viggo!ā€ :roll_eyes: :woman_facepalming:t3: I think heā€™s on to us.

I do like your suggestion of Finnlo. I love [name_u]Finn[/name_u] and that is a cool variation of it. Iā€™m going to consider and see if my husband likes it today. Weā€™ll see! :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I think [name_m]Viggo[/name_m] is great! And itā€™s particularly meaningful for you, so I think itā€™s a win :blush:

Maybe a [name_m]Lord[/name_m] of the Rings marathon will help :sweat_smile: Who canā€™t help but love [name_m]Viggo[/name_m] after watching him as Aragorn!?

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your loss of your son.

Re [name_m]Viggo[/name_m], I love the imagery of it and [name_m]Viggo[/name_m] Mortensen is a great flag bearer, but Iā€™m not sure I could use it because I also see it as close to vego/vegan etc. But thatā€™s not a reason not to use it. I like idea of you using it or else using it as middle (William [name_m]Viggo[/name_m] flows really nicely - and Williamā€™s meaning is strong and vital, as a warrior and protector!)

Otherwise (all not super popular plus good, powerful meanings):

[name_u]Wyatt[/name_u]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_m]Anders[/name_m]
[name_m]Caleb[/name_m]
[name_m]Valerio[/name_m]
[name_m]Deacon[/name_m]
[name_m]Magnus[/name_m]
[name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_u]Austin[/name_u]
[name_m]Conrad[/name_m]
[name_m]Reginald[/name_m]
[name_m]Isaac[/name_m]
[name_m]Ethan[/name_m]
[name_u]Walter[/name_u]
[name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_u]Sterling[/name_u]
[name_m]Albert[/name_m]
[name_m]Garrett[/name_m]
[name_u]Micah[/name_u]
[name_u]Everett[/name_u]
[name_m]Ferris[/name_m]
[name_u]Arrow[/name_u]
[name_u]Griffin[/name_u]
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m] (Xander)
[name_u]Owen[/name_u]
[name_m]Thor[/name_m]
[name_u]Finley[/name_u]
[name_m]Harvey[/name_m]
[name_u]Roscoe[/name_u]
[name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m] (Zeke)

Let us know how you go!

1 Like

Hey, thatā€™s actually a great idea! :heart: We both like [name_m]Lord[/name_m] of the Rings (him even more so than me) and he owns all three movies. Thank you for the suggestion. Iā€™ll give this a go! :smiley:

1 Like

Btw, I met a [name_u]Rohan[/name_u] the other day - and his Dad had picked it from LOTR. I really like it!

1 Like

Thatā€™s interesting, Iā€™ve heard other people make references to words similar to [name_m]Viggo[/name_m], that arenā€™t the name. Hadnā€™t heard of Vegan though.

Surprisingly, weā€™ve discussed the names on your list. The only one from there we both line is [name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m] (Zeke), but I hate how it rhymes with Geek and Freak.

:face_exhaling: So much work picking the perfect name! We may end up going with [name_u]William[/name_u] as a first name, as long as I get [name_m]Viggo[/name_m] for second name. We will see! I am very stubborn, to my benefit, and sometimes to my detriment :joy:

1 Like

Really!? See itā€™s not that strange to name kids after characters/actors from films! Weā€™ve considered a lot of GOT names too, but none of them seem to stick. They are all either too common, or too obscure,

I think itā€™s more than fine when itā€™s also a legit name - in this case an [name_u]Irish[/name_u] / Sanskrit name - super handsome and with positive meaning - in this case ā€œascendingā€. Would choose for eg Legolas!

1 Like

some great suggestions have been made already! i love william viggo and i hope your partner goes for it. iā€™m not sure if youā€™ll like this more than viggo, but have you talked about going for the word vigor? since thatā€™s a big part of your love for the name and itā€™s a tad bit more traditional to go with word virtue names, maybe heā€™ll be more for it! itā€™s definitely not a super highly used virtue name but itā€™s at least more familiar to english speakers than viggo!

i do hope he comes around in some way. viggo is such a cute name and i see no reason why an adult canā€™t wear it! personally iā€™m named after a character from star trek, another nerdy franchise, and everyone who recognizes the name or hears the story just thinks itā€™s cool. Best of luck!!

Itā€™s synonymous with the actor [name_m]Viggo[/name_m] Mortensen so itā€™s unusable.

Why? A lot of people use names affiliated with celebrities for their children.

2 Likes