Back to the middle name drawing board...please help!

Okay, guys, I’m at a loss. We’re searching for a middle name for baby [name]Sylvie[/name], due to arrive in [name]November[/name]. [name]Sylvie[/name] is named after DH’s aunt, and we want her middle name to honor DH’s two late grandmothers, who both happened to be called strictly by their nicknames:

[name]Nancy[/name], whose real name was [name]Annie[/name] [name]Janet[/name]
[name]Nettie[/name], whose real name was [name]Renata[/name]

It would seem that an “N” name would fit the bill, and there are a few that I like, but each one seems to have some kind of problem, and ‘N’ has got to be the most difficult letter for girls’ names! (One reason is that many of them have strong religious meanings that we’d like to avoid–ie. [name]Natalie[/name], [name]Natasha[/name], [name]Nastasia[/name], [name]Noelle[/name]). DH is also very hard to please–he’s vetoed everything from [name]Naima[/name] to [name]Norah[/name] to [name]Neve[/name]/[name]Niamh[/name]!

Here are the top contenders right now:

[name]Nadine[/name] - I love the meaning of this one (hope and courage), but reaction (even among you berries) has been tepid…lots of people think it’s trashy, even though we’d pronounce it nah-deen (not nay-deen)…I can’t decide if this reaction matters to me or not! It doesn’t bother DH.

[name]Nanette[/name] - It’s kind of neat how it perfectly combines both grandmas’ names, and I think it’s totally cute, but is it too French with [name]Sylvie[/name] and our French Canadian last name? (We live in Western [name]Canada[/name], far from [name]Quebec[/name] and a few generations removed from the French-speaking relatives.)

[name]Nicolette[/name] - I really love this longer, more feminine middle name next to [name]Sylvie[/name], but can’t shake the ‘nicorette’ association…does it matter?

So first I’d like to ask if anyone has any other N names to suggest, and then I’d like to know if you can think of a way to combine any version of the two grandmas’ names, using any first initial you want. For example, I’ve come up with:

• Annarose ([name]Anna[/name] for [name]Annie[/name] and R for [name]Renata[/name]…DH wasn’t as moved as I was!)
  • [name]Rosanna[/name]
  • [name]Janette[/name] (don’t love this)
  • using two middles, one of them being [name]Ren[/name] or [name]Wren[/name]

(Oh, and FYI, we’ve been back and forth with [name]Renata[/name] itself but now I’m vetoing it since its meaning (reborn) is a bit too religious for us.)

Thank you so much for your help and your thoughts!

[name]Sylvie[/name] is too cute!

I think [name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Anna[/name] [name]Wren[/name] would be beautiful, but then again [name]Anna[/name] might be too biblical for you?

I like the ideas of [name]Sylvie[/name] Annarose and [name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Nanette[/name]. I would use such a French name if I could, and I barely have any French in me at all. I think the simple [name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Nicole[/name] would be very sweet, too–I’m not usually keen on [name]Nicole[/name], but I think it works with the so-sweet [name]Sylvie[/name]. What about a longer “R” name with [name]Jane[/name]? I think something like [name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Rosamund[/name] [name]Jane[/name] would be stunning. I really love [name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Rachel[/name] [name]Jane[/name] or [name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Rebecca[/name] [name]Jane[/name], but then again, [name]Rachel[/name] and [name]Rebecca[/name] are pretty Biblical…

Good luck!

My first thought was [name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Nephele[/name]. I also like [name]Nicolina[/name] if you’d like a longer varient of [name]Nicole[/name] but don’t want the “nicorette” association. Also, I think [name]Sylvie[/name] [name]November[/name] would be adorable since that’s when she’s due :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name]! I actually really like the n-middle names you’ve suggested, and I don’t see how [name]Nadine[/name] is “trashy”–I think of [name]Nadine[/name] Gordimer. I would pronounce it “Nay-deen,” but I suppose nah-deen is the French pronunciation? I think [name]Nanette[/name] is really sweet, French definitely, though I don’t think of that as a problem. And I like [name]Nicolette[/name], but I also think of nicorette. Hmm.

One that I thought of was [name]Antoinette[/name], which also sort of combines [name]Nancy[/name] and [name]Nettie[/name], no? Or [name]Antonia[/name].

Thanks for these replies!

@ashthedreamer: We’re not necessarily against Biblical names (our second DS is [name]Asher[/name]), and [name]Anna[/name] is not a problem, but we can’t use [name]Rachel[/name] or [name]Rebecca[/name] b/c they’re already family names. I hadn’t really thought of using [name]Jane[/name], though, and I like [name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Anna[/name] [name]Wren[/name]. And I’m thrilled that you like [name]Nanette[/name]. This is the sort of inspiration I need!!

@leonielee: I actually really like [name]Nicolina[/name]! [name]Will[/name] run it by DH. I thought of [name]November[/name], too, but maybe it’s a bit too much??

Please keep the ideas coming!

Thanks hilary! I see how [name]Antoinette[/name] fits the criteria, but when you say it next to [name]Sylvie[/name], the first name sounds like [name]Sylvia[/name]…there are a few ‘A’ names that do this, including [name]Anita[/name], which I thought would work otherwise. Some of the ‘Anna’ names do this too, I realize.

Yes, I see what you’re saying.

[name]Just[/name] to offer another n-name, I’ll offer my own dd’s middle: [name]Noelani[/name]. Means heavenly mist in Hawaiian. I know there’s that “[name]Noel[/name]” in there, and nameberry says it may be good for a girl born near [name]Christmas[/name], but I think that etymologically it has nothing to do with [name]Christmas[/name]. (I’m Jewish and I wouldn’t have chosen a name with a [name]Christian[/name] meaning, much as I like [name]Natasha[/name], [name]Natalia[/name], etc.)

@hilary, [name]Noelani[/name] is so pretty… but how about the “ee” sounds in both names? Similarly, I love the name [name]Naomi[/name] but not sure about [name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Naomi[/name] together. I had to chuckle at your post b/c I’m Jewish too, hence my avoidance of heavily [name]Christian[/name] meanings. But DH is an atheist and is really the sensitive one re: religious meanings…he agreed to [name]Asher[/name] mostly because he loved the nickname [name]Ash[/name]!

I think [name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Nanette[/name] is PERFECT!

@nicodesi- Thanks! DH is really starting to like [name]Nanette[/name], too. It does use both grandmas’ names perfectly. I’m just trying to envision it on her resume in 25 years! [name]Will[/name] she be taken seriously?

I think [name]Sylvie[/name] [name]November[/name] would be lovely and definitely not too much :slight_smile: I also like [name]Nicolette[/name], it does not give me nicorette vibes at all… [name]Nanette[/name] is nice just NMS it does have a nice flow with [name]Sylvie[/name]. I am sorry but [name]Nadine[/name] just gives me trashy vibes, but if you love it go for it :slight_smile: Good luck

What about [name]Nadia[/name] or [name]Nicola[/name]?
[name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Nadia[/name]
[name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Nicola[/name]

I have never ever put my middle name on a resume : D! Maybe it comes up more in [name]Canada[/name]?! I like [name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Nanette[/name] though.

I immediately thought of [name]Naomi[/name], but the -ee thing is a lot, and I take it [name]Sylvia[/name] nn [name]Sylvie[/name] isn’t considered? [name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Naama[/name] (a [name]Naomi[/name] relative)?

[name]Nicola[/name] and [name]Nadia[/name] both came to mind. I like [name]Nadine[/name]! [name]Nadina[/name]?

Good luck!

Thanks for all these helpful replies!

Our last name starts with “La” so any name that ends with “la” (ie. [name]Nicola[/name]) sounds really funny. As of today, DH is very into [name]Nanette[/name] and I have to say that it’s really growing on me, too, especially since it’s such a literal representation of the two grandmas. Middle names are so weird–I would probably never use [name]Nanette[/name] as a first name but I think it works great as a middle name with [name]Sylvie[/name]. And @jesba, you’re right, a middle initial is probably the most anyone would need to put on a resume, even here in [name]Canada[/name]!

Any other reactions to [name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Nanette[/name], [name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Nicolette[/name] or [name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Nadine[/name]? Thanks!!

What about [name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Annette[/name]? [name]Annette[/name] isn’t as trendy… yet. But it combines both of your grandma’s names