Barnett as a first name?

I would love to use [name]Barnett[/name] as a first name. [name]Barnett[/name] was the middle name of my husband’s grandfather who just passed away. However, we also want to use [name]Bradford[/name], my husband’s name.

Would [name]Barnett[/name] work as a first name? What are the potential nicknames?

Thoughts greatly appreciated!

I’m not all that big on [name]Barnett[/name]. The nickname that comes to mind is [name]Barney[/name]. I much prefer [name]Bradford[/name]. The nickname [name]Brad[/name] gives him a better option as a kid. Less teasing potential in my opinion.

I don’t think I like [name]Barnett[/name], because it seems a bit harsh (is that the word I’m looking for?) and doesn’t flow very well when I say it. I really like [name]Bennett[/name], though. It could be a way to honor [name]Barnett[/name] without using it.

My concern with the name is that the stress falls on the second syllable making it like a girl’s name. If it’s [name]BARnet[/name], ok, but it’s not, is it? It’s BarNETTE, like a Barrette, maybe a Corvette. My mother and I had this conversation last night about the name [name]Everett[/name], which to everyone normal is EV-ret. My mom can’t stop pronouncing it Ev-er-ETTE. I really want to like the name [name]Barnett[/name], but that just throws me. I wonder if there are examples of boys names with the stressed ETT syllable at the end that don’t sound feminized/diminutive. [name]Barnett[/name] would be a cool name otherwise. [name]Barn[/name]- is a good and strong first impression. They might call him [name]Barney[/name] or [name]Bar[/name]. Or [name]Barry[/name]. Possibly [name]Bart[/name]. I don’t know how easily people can ignore the big purple dinosaur in the room, but I kind of think [name]Barney[/name] would be a cool nickname to have as long as your last name isn’t Rubble or Gumbel (cartoons).

I think the name [name]Bradford[/name] is ok. I don’t have a very strong love for the name, but I like family names. I don’t see anything difficult about this alternate. I like [name]Barnett[/name] a bit better except for the stuff I pointed out, which may not bother you or anyone where you live.