Bartholomew - too much?

[name_m]Just[/name_m] looking for other people’s opinions as it seems like a LOT of name for a little boy. SO doesn’t like [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m], but he’s keen on [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m] (because it’s a name shared by a weirdly large amount of pirates). I prefer [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m], but I can see the appeal of [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m] too.

LN is one syllable, starts with B. I like it with NN Tolly or [name_m]Barlo[/name_m] - don’t mind [name_m]Bart[/name_m], but not my favorite. Thoughts?

I think it’s really nice, sort of serious and distinguished in an appealing way that would be adorable on a little boy- lots of cute nicknames as well (I have a soft spot for [name_m]Bartol[/name_m])

I like that it’s very recognisable yet unexpected

My boyfriend likes it but he doesn’t want to name our future hypothetical son [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m] because it’s “too much” (too uncommon and too audacious). First, when he talked about it, I didn’t like it. It was too long and weird to me. Now I think it’s very cute! And I love the nickname [name_m]Bart[/name_m] :slight_smile:
I am not a huge fan of [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m] but I love Barnabé (french version).
They are cute names!

I heard Bartimée ([name_m]Bart[/name_m]-ee-m-eh) in [name_f]France[/name_f]. And Bartimeus-Bartimaeus. Maybe you would like them.

I actually like [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m], and [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m]. I think you also have magnificent nn picked out. Can’t wait to see what you choice.

I love [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m]! We keep putting it on our list of possible middle names for [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], but even as a fan of long names, even I think [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m] may be a bit much. Still, on its own, [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m] is handsome, and I’d love to see somebody use it in the first spot.

My one concern in your case is possibly falling into a B theme if you later have a girl and still want to use [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]. Usually, I think it’s okay for two children to have the same initials, but the fact that the last name also begins with B adds an additional alliterative theme that feels like it would be hard to break after two kids. If you’re only planning one or two, though, it should be fine.

I say go for it! [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m] is one of my guilty pleasures and I would love to meet a little boy with this name!
Nn
[name_m]Barlo[/name_m]
[name_u]Ollie[/name_u]
even [name_m]Lemmy[/name_m] is a possibility!

I find it unattractive

It’s a great name, it’s just soooo long.
A totally cute baby-kid nickname I see is [name_m]Olo[/name_m]!!! Like marco polo [name_m]Olo[/name_m]. That’s probably the cutest little baby boy nickname I have ever heard of (or thought of?) in my entire life.

Sorry, I’m going to be that one person in the thread who really doesn’t like it… :confused: I just think it’s too much of a name for both a little boy AND an adult (and I know one with the name!!) and I just don’t think it sounds very nice, either (the first syllable sounds like barf and that really puts me off).

[name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m] is a mouthful, but it’s a great name anyway.

I would probably use nn of [name_u]Barry[/name_u] or Barth.

But I sure would love to meet a [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m] in this lifetime.

PS You could always go with legal name of [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m] for your pirate-loving husband and your nn for him could be [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m], another great name.

If you like [name_m]Barlo[/name_m] and think that [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m] is too long, why not go with [name_m]Barlow[/name_m]? You could also try something in the “[name_u]Bar[/name_u]” like like [name_m]Barden[/name_m], [name_m]Barnabus[/name_m], or [name_m]Barnes[/name_m].

In my baby names book, some nicknames/alternatives to [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m] are:
[name_m]Bart[/name_m]
[name_m]Bartel[/name_m]
Bartome
[name_m]Bates[/name_m]
[name_m]Bartho[/name_m]
[name_m]Bartin[/name_m]

Hopefully that helps a bit?

@mega_muffin - I still very much want to use [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] for a future girl, so that does worry me! Obviously we’ll let the chips fall where they may but I think for now we’ve agreed that we’ll have 3 children, ideally. (I’m so excited to see you’re having #3 by the way, congratulations! Cannot wait to hear what he or she ends up named :slight_smile: and also as a late February baby myself I can say it’s a great month to be born!) SO is more on the side of not reusing the name [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], in a way even though we’re having a boy I think he feels it’s still our son’s “other name”. Hoping I can still convince him in the future.

@ashleyg - Thanks for the suggestions! I’m not liking any of them more than [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m] really, but you did make me think of [name_m]Bartram[/name_m], which I also like and could go with the NN [name_m]Bram[/name_m].

I know [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m] isn’t for everyone, but I think I’m liking it more and more. [name_f]Glad[/name_f] to see it getting some NB love!

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m] with the NN [name_m]Art[/name_m], [name_u]Bo[/name_u] or even Bear.