Basil and Rosemary - siblings

Ok, internet name experts! I’ve come to you because I need… I don’t know, probably reassurance. Or opinions. Or encouragement I think.

We have a 2 year old daughter we named [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] [name_f]Iulia[/name_f]. I love her name. I loved the nature element and also the classic element of this name when I chose it.

What I didn’t think about when I named her is that my husband’s Grandfather was named [name_m]Vasily[/name_m] (both the grandfather and my husband are from Moldova). The [name_f]English[/name_f] version of the name is [name_u]Basil[/name_u] and we were always planning on naming a future boy [name_u]Basil[/name_u]. Somehow I did not make the herb connection when we decided on [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] for our first.

Now I’m pregnant, we’re not finding out the gender, but if it’s a boy were naming him [name_u]Basil[/name_u] - no way around it, we’re set on it.

I’m just gonna throw it out there too that we are organic farmers by profession…

Now I’m kind of anxious thinking about having a [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] and a [name_u]Basil[/name_u] as siblings and imagining all the flack I’m going to get about this herb duo for years to come.

How can I set myself up to be confident about this sibling name combination? Is it really as silly/weird as I am imagining? There is no turning back now.

Please help me, name gurus!

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] and [name_u]Basil[/name_u] together!

They’re both lovely, older style names to me, seperate from also being herbs. For this reason I find them less theme-y than say, [name_u]Cedar[/name_u] and [name_u]Cypress[/name_u], which are more uncommon and don’t have such a long history of use.

If you love [name_u]Basil[/name_u], I say go for it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Your daughter’s name is beautiful! I’ll admit, [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] and [name_u]Basil[/name_u] are a pretty…herb-y sibset to my ear. But using the name is important to you, and I do think you can make it work. For example, if you ever call [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] by a nickname ([name_f]Rosie[/name_f]/Romy/etc.), you could plan to lean more heavily on that. You could also call [name_u]Basil[/name_u] by his middle name. Or by a nickname–maybe [name_m]Baz[/name_m]?–or the kind of nickname that can work with any name. Or you can just embrace it! I do think, if you choose this name, you just have to be prepared to lean into it a little. It could be the kind of fun, silly little thing that unites siblings, a story for them to tell their friends, a fun fact for them for icebreakers. And there’s always [name_u]Sage[/name_u] for another baby down the line! :wink:

3 Likes

I hadn’t made the connection until you pointed it out, as I always associate [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] as a name rather than herb. Either way, [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] and [name_u]Basil[/name_u] not only sound but look great together! I think it’s a perfect pair.

2 Likes

Perfectly fine! I say own it and go for it :slight_smile:

1 Like

They are perfect together! I agree with @elleplume, own it and go for it :grin:

1 Like

Rosemary has such a beautiful name! I really like [name_u]Basil[/name_u] and [name_m]Vasily[/name_m] too.
Here are some thoughts:

1. The baby might be a girl so in that case no problem! You might be worried for no reason.
  2. Could you use [name_m]Vasily[/name_m] in the middle name spot or as the first name. That way the Focus would be on honouring the grandfather rather than the herb connection
  3. Would you put [name_u]Basil[/name_u] in the middle name spot ?

I love subtle themes when naming siblings. And overall I think it’s a cute connection and a nod to your professions. I say if you love it go for it! Be prepared that people may say something/ but don’t they always?.. even if it is well intentioned someone will always have an opinion. When they are older they won’t always be [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] and [name_u]Basil[/name_u] as they will be individuals with their own families and lives and professions . Go with your gut and do what you love!

3 Likes

I certainly noticed the theme but I actually think it’s cute!

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] and [name_u]Basil[/name_u] together! I definitely noticed the theme, but I agree with other posters, its actually very cute and sweet! I’d fully embrace the theme. It’s fun and adorable, and a great connection between siblings. also a sweet way to honor both your husbands grandfather, and your profession! as a pp has said, they will eventually become less of a pair and more of their own separate, individual people, as well!
I like it. [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] and [name_u]Basil[/name_u]. too cute!!

2 Likes

I noticed the theme but they’re both so well established as names I think they work fine

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I think it’s fine! And the fact that you’re organic farmers makes it even cooler. I love [name_u]Basil[/name_u] by the way. What a beautiful unique choice. [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] & [name_u]Basil[/name_u] are both herbs, but they’re also both names. People may or may not recognize the connection, but I don’t see why it would be a negative reaction if they did. Herbs are a pleasant thing, after all.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I don’t think young people would associate [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] with the herb, so it won’t matter.

1 Like

I had this issue myself because [name_u]Basil[/name_u] and [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] are some of my top names, but I have eventually decided against using them for siblings. Too herb-y for my taste.

1 Like

I think a theme is ok when it is such a cool one, like this one! [name_u]Basil[/name_u] and [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] are both great — real names, vintage, understated cool. The quirky coincidence that you are farmers makes it even better. Makes me think of a cool family from a children’s book. [name_m]Lean[/name_m] into it.

2 Likes

I love it :blush: The fact that it wasn’t intentional makes it even cuter! It may depend on where you are but many people pronounce the name and the herb differently so it may not be as obvious if you pronounce it BAZ-il and the herb bay-sil.
[name_u]Basil[/name_u] is an awesome name and it’s very special to be named for his grandpa. :blush:

1 Like

People will always make comments about sibsets but at the end of the day, your children are both individuals with individual lives who will go their individual ways. They won’t always be known as “Rosemarys brother” or “Basils sister”. It seems really important when they’re young but for the majority of their lives they will probably be more connected with their partners/future kids names than their own siblings

2 Likes

Boy, am I ever glad I reached out to you fine folk. Such generous, insightful, and eloquent comments. You really eased the mind of an anxious mama! I feel bolstered and ready to embrace my choices. Excited, even! Thank you so very much for weighing in so thoughtfully. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As an herbalist, I definitely sensed a “theme,” so I’m not here to reassure you that no one will notice that they’re both botanical / herbal names. What I’m here to ask instead is - why would that be a bad thing? :blush:

Everyone has a different naming style and aesthetic, of course, but to me, one of the most important aspects of a name is that it’s meaningful. In addition to being strong, classic-with-a-twist, gorgeous names with a long history of use, [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] and [name_u]Basil[/name_u] are meaningful to you because of your family heritage and associations with the names, and they just so happen to reference what you do for a living as well! Assuming you’re passionate about the organic farming work that you do, I feel like that only adds to the personal meaning these names hold for you.

I don’t know if this helps, but personally, I love a name even more when it dovetails with my botanical knowledge. Each one of my combos includes a nature name, so my list is full of herbal gems like [name_m]Valerian[/name_m], [name_u]Sage[/name_u], [name_f]Lavender[/name_f], [name_u]Rue[/name_u], etc.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that you could worry about having stumbled into a theme, or you could delight in having yet another layer of meaning to these choices, and embrace the theme, knowing that you’re choosing names that are chock full of thought and love and meaning. :purple_heart:

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] ONLY concern would be that, if you had a third child (or beyond!), the child/children after [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] and [name_u]Basil[/name_u] likely should also have a botanical or herbal name to make a complete sibset match. That’s not mandatory, however! [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t force it if no other names appeal to you like [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] and [name_u]Basil[/name_u] have. :smile:

As for the sibset of just [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] and [name_u]Basil[/name_u], I agree with the other posters. The fact that you are an organic farmer makes it even BETTER, not worse. It’s adorable, and I send you my support. :two_hearts:

1 Like

This is a lovely idea, OP.

1 Like