Basil - Pronunciation & Opinion

What do you think of the name [name_m]Basil[/name_m] for a boy? Would you pronounce it Bazzle or [name_u]Bay[/name_u]-zle (like the herb) at first glance, and where are you from? I like both pronunciations but I would want to have the nn [name_u]Bay[/name_u] so I’m leaning towards the herb pronunciation (here in the states iam assuming most people will automatically assume that pronunciation anyways). I like the nn [name_m]Baz[/name_m] too but [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] is also on my list of hypothetical future names and I don’t think we could have a “[name_m]Baz[/name_m]” and [name_m]Boaz[/name_m]. Are [name_m]Abel[/name_m] and [name_m]Basil[/name_m] too similar sounding?

Honest opinions wanted! This has been a long time guilty pleasure name and now that we are TTC#2 I am trying to work out which names are useable.

I say [name_u]Bay[/name_u]-zle (like the herb). I love the nickname [name_m]Baz[/name_m], but [name_u]Bay[/name_u] is nice, too. I think [name_m]Basil[/name_m] and [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] are too similar anyways, without the nickname [name_m]Baz[/name_m]. And I do think [name_m]Abel[/name_m] and [name_m]Bazil[/name_m] are too close. Sorry! I love [name_m]Basil[/name_m]. What about using it as a middle name? [name_m]Felix[/name_m] [name_m]Basil[/name_m], or [name_u]August[/name_u] [name_m]Basil[/name_m]?

Thanks! I tend to agree. I’m drawn to VERY similar names (usually short, 2 syllables with an L) so it makes for for some difficultly because I don’t like matchy matchy. (I know someone who has a [name_u]Jude[/name_u] & [name_f]Jade[/name_f].)

I’ll start by agreeing with the first post that [name_m]Abel[/name_m] and [name_m]Basil[/name_m] are too similar, to me. [name_m]Basil[/name_m] and [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] are too similar, for sure. I prefer the nickname [name_m]Baz[/name_m] to [name_u]Bay[/name_u], but I could see either working on their own.

For what it’s worth, I pronounce [name_m]Basil[/name_m] with the [name_m]Baz[/name_m] sound (the herb, too), and I only care for this pronunciation. I’m in the Southeast U.S.

I do love [name_m]Basil[/name_m]. If it didn’t sound so comical with my surname, it would be on my own list.

(By the way, I like [name_m]Abel[/name_m] paired best with [name_u]Francis[/name_u], [name_m]Felix[/name_m], and [name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m] from your signature)

I think [name_m]Basil[/name_m] & Onion. Sorry, I don’t like it.

From Australasia - we say Baz ill

I love it.

I really like [name_m]Basil[/name_m]. It makes me think of [name_m]Basil[/name_m] Hallward from The Picture of [name_u]Dorian[/name_u] [name_u]Gray[/name_u].
I would pronounce it like a herb. As for [name_m]Abel[/name_m] and [name_m]Basil[/name_m], I think they are kind of similar but not too close.

[name_m]Able[/name_m] is a nice strong name. [name_m]Basil[/name_m] sounds like he is the first one to get beat up on my Bullies (I say Bayzell)!.

If you are truly in love with the name you may want to use it in the middle.

[name_m]Sabian[/name_m] [name_m]Basil[/name_m]
Zerub [name_m]Basil[/name_m]
[name_m]Tyrus[/name_m] [name_m]Basil[/name_m]

I agree with this! [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] is a fantastic name and sounds great with [name_m]Abel[/name_m] (which I also love).

I would pronouce it like Bazzle because I go to a church where I hear the saint’s name pronounced that way. I am in the northeast US.

[name_f]My[/name_f] mum has a friend called [name_m]Basil[/name_m], so I just think of him. It’s a nice name, but it doesn’t excite me all that much. I say Bazzle (I’m from the UK) so I don’t think it’s all that similar to [name_m]Abel[/name_m], but I agree with a pp, I prefer it with some of the other names in your signature ([name_u]Francis[/name_u], [name_u]August[/name_u], and [name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m] are particularly swoon worthy).

[name_m]Basil[/name_m] is one of my favorites. It doesn’t get a lot of praise on NB. I say [name_u]Bay[/name_u]-sul (like the herb). I went to Greek church camp and met 2 kids named [name_m]Basil[/name_m] from different parts of the country. [name_m]Both[/name_m] said [name_u]Bay[/name_u]-sul, even though in Greek it is pronounced [name_m]Baz[/name_m]-il-ee. So, I assume that most people from the states say [name_u]Bay[/name_u]-sul.
[name_m]Basil[/name_m] is a cool name. It is vintage, not popular, and unexpected. I know most berries don’t like it but I think it is a great name. I’m not sure if I’d use [name_m]Basil[/name_m] if I already had [name_m]Abel[/name_m], they are a little close. It could still work, but I’d keep searching and come back to it.

I like [name_m]Basil[/name_m] a lot. I pronounce it [name_u]BAY[/name_u]-zil. I’m from the [name_u]West[/name_u] coast of [name_f]Canada[/name_f]. I don’t know that I would use it if I had an [name_m]Abel[/name_m] already tho. I do like the nn [name_u]Bay[/name_u] from [name_m]Basil[/name_m], my DS has [name_u]Bay[/name_u] as one of his nns. :slight_smile: