Bastian / Bastien pronunciation

when you read the name Bastian / Bastien how do you pronounce it?? do you say them differently cause of the -ian & ien endings?

i’ve always said it as bas-tee-in cause of the way it looks and tbh i prefer it over the bash-tin pronunciation

• bash-tin
  • bas-tee-in
  • other

0 voters

kind of like bas-chee-in? but the ch sound is soft

1 Like

2 syllables but I agree theres a ch sound. I would say it like [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] minus the beginning suh sound.

bas-tee-in! like The Neverending [name_u]Story[/name_u]!!

this is one of my most favorite names :heart:

2 Likes

like bash-chin(??), sort of. it’s pretty hard to explain…

3 Likes

I switch between bas-tee-in and bash-chin

I read [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] as “bass-tee-EHN” but [name_m]Bastian[/name_m] as “BASS-tee-ann” or “BASS-chin” !

[name_m]Bastian[/name_m] is bass-tee-uhn

[name_m]Bastien[/name_m] is either the same as [name_m]Bastian[/name_m] or bass-tee-ehn. I constantly switch between the two.

BASS-tee-un for [name_m]Bastian[/name_m].

[name_m]Bastien[/name_m] I’d assume to be [name_u]French[/name_u], so like bas-tya(n) — very hard to write phonetically!

Bast-yun?

I say either BASS-tyen or there will sometimes be a slight -ch sound in there, like BASS-chuhn. I’m not sure if that quite represents it but there you go. I actually do sometimes wish I preferred one or the other because it’s one of my favourite boys’ names but that ambiguity is a bit problematic (if I were to ever actually use it, and I nearly did for my son’s middle name). Anyway, wonderful name!