Bastien or Lionel?

Hi, I’m pregnant with baby #3, due in November, and we won’t know the gender before birth.

We already have two girls, Claire and Eloise, and it will be our last child.

We live in Canada and my boyfriend is from France, so the name has to work in both country and in both language (French and English). We would prefer that each kid has his own initials and our surname sounds like Gordon.

If we have a boy, he will most likely be called Bastien or Lionel.

We would like your opinions on the names. Witch one you think fits the best and why? We are also open to new suggestions!

• Bastien
  • Lionel
0 voters

We also made a post in the Girl names category if you have some suggestions for french chic girls names.

We named our son [name_m]Marshall[/name_m], which is a [name_m]French[/name_m] name meaning caretaker of horses :racehorse:

[name_m]Beau[/name_m] / [name_m]Beaumont[/name_m]

[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] nickname [name_m]Bastien[/name_m]

1 Like

[name_f]Love[/name_f] Bastien!!

[name_m]Lionel[/name_m] is nice as well, but seems a bit more vintage revival. [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] has more a [name_m]French[/name_m] chic feel like your girls.

A few suggestions:

[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_m]Leon[/name_m]
[name_m]Maxime[/name_m]
[name_m]Maxence[/name_m]
[name_m]Adrien[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_m]Julien[/name_m]
[name_m]Alban[/name_m]
[name_m]Florent[/name_m]
[name_m]Philippe[/name_m]
[name_m]Laurent[/name_m]

1 Like

[name_m]Bastien[/name_m] is beautiful - so charming, effortlessly cool and stylish, something arty but solid about it too

[name_m]Lionel[/name_m] is strong and upright, unexpected and distinctive!

I like both but [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] wins for me

1 Like

Sebastian/Sebastien/Bastien is my favourite boys’ name. I love it! So it’s a clear winner for me. I find it so handsome. Lionel meanwhile is associated with 1980s Australiana so I can’t get behind it.

Other French names I like:

Marcel
Louis
Gabriel
Julien / Jules
Harvey
Olivier
Marceau
Lucien
Charles
Xavier
Felix

1 Like

I love [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] for you! It’s a interesting classic with a twist. It sounds cool, charming, happy, friendly and gentle. I think it works very well with the last name G0rdon and his sisters’s names.

[name_m]Lionel[/name_m] has a wonderful meaning. It’s international and easy to pronounce. [name_m]Lionel[/name_m] is a great name, but not my favorite choice. However, if you love it, please use it!

I’m loving Bastien for you! For all the same reasons that previous posters have said; he’s effortlessly cool, artsy, charming, and stylish. He sounds more “French Chic” as well, which makes him fit cohesively into the sibset; Claire, Eloise and Bastien are so incredibly sweet together! I also love the nn Baz and I’m just a sucker for the name myself, so he’s an all around win for me!

1 Like

[name_m]Bastien[/name_m] over [name_m]Lionel[/name_m] (ly-uh-nel) but [name_m]Lionel[/name_m] (lee-o-nel) over [name_m]Bastien[/name_m].

[name_m]Lionel[/name_m].
I love it, and it’s so underrated.

I think they’re both lovely! I am a big fan of both. But I’m a slightly bigger fan of Bastien; of all the leonine names out there, [name_m]Leopold[/name_m], [name_m]Leon[/name_m], or just [name_m]Leo[/name_m] are my favorites currently. [name_m]Lionel[/name_m] feels fresh out of a [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] book for me, though, he has lovely vibes. Plus I think [name_m]Lionel[/name_m] Messi has made the name cool.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your input! The poll was really tight.

With your help, we decide to go with [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] if it’s a boy. We are more looking for a [name_m]French[/name_m] chic vibe than a vintage one.

@ashthedreamer We didn’t think about all the different “leo” name out there. It’s was a good point to take in consideration. [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] is more unique in that way, yet well known.

[name_m]Bastien[/name_m] is crisper and more tailored like [name_f]Claire[/name_f] and [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]. [name_m]Lionel[/name_m] is catchy and not bad in the set, though. I don’t feel inclined to list more choices because I like either enough to say go with it!