Battle of the spellings---which one is better?

[name]Scarlet[/name] or [name]Scarlett[/name]

I really can’t decide. I’m kind of leaning towards [name]Scarlet[/name], but I think [name]Scarlett[/name] looks more ‘complete.’ What do you think?

I think [name]Scarlet[/name] is too much like the color while [name]Scarlett[/name] gives it that extra letter that firmly places it in the name category. It’s a beautiful name either way :slight_smile:

I agree [name]Scarlett[/name] looks more complete.

It seems like I’m one of the only people who thinks this but I prefer the spelling [name]Scarlet[/name]. I wouldn’t spell [name]Violet[/name], Violett in fear that it is too much like the colour/ flower and I just think [name]Scarlet[/name] does look complete. [name]Just[/name] my opinion though :slight_smile:

good luck :slight_smile:

I vote [name]Scarlett[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Scarlett[/name].

Definitely [name]Scarlett[/name].

[name]Scarlett[/name] is a name. [name]Scarlet[/name] isn’t really how you spell that name, but it’s accepted as a variant. [name]Scarlett[/name] comes from a surname, from people who made or sold scarlet, a kind of cloth that was colored red. If you want to use the name that means the color or the cloth, use [name]Scarlet[/name], but if you want to use the name that is more like an occupational --> surname- name, [name]Scarlett[/name] is the substantial and established form of the name itself.

Not comparable to [name]Violet[/name] - [name]Violet[/name] is a flower, and one is named after the flower, like [name]Rose[/name] or [name]Daisy[/name]. Neither [name]Violet[/name] nor [name]Scarlett[/name] are directly names invented after the color, neither is [name]Jade[/name] or [name]Ruby[/name] or any of those other things. [name]Scarlett[/name] has an etymology to an established surname, so I would go with that spelling.

A lot of these names are associated with colors, but the names of the colors came after the objects that were those colors, so keep in mind any spelling incongruities have their specific rationales, and that except for in the very current era, people were naming their children after things - flowers, gems, etc., rather than the pigment.